Death Strike heals

90 Human Death Knight
Greetings fellow DKs,

Just wondering about the DS heal. In the final Cata patch, our DS healed us regardless of if it hit or not. A while ago I read that in MoP, the DS heal mechanic was changed so that only a successful DS hit will heal you. Is this still true?

I'm almost geared for raids so I'm starting to contemplate my gemming and reforging and I'll probably cap hit/exp if DS only heals when it successfully hits.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
they also changed it so it cant be parried

plus you now have a shorter gcd. not a huge deal as long as you have some hit/exp to avoid back to back misses
Edited by Kusari on 10/1/2012 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Okay, so it doesn't heal you when it misses then?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
nope
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
While we all thought they were removing the ban-aid fix for DS, it is still giving a shield on misses and dodges, making hit/exp nearly useless for survivability as blood. Now, they are still extremely valuable in terms of tank DPS, but that's about it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/01/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Reniat
While we all thought they were removing the ban-aid fix for DS, it is still giving a shield on misses and dodges, making hit/exp nearly useless for survivability as blood. Now, they are still extremely valuable in terms of tank DPS, but that's about it.

Pretty much, it seems to me that as long as you can hold aggro hit/expertise will stay useless to DK tanks
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I do remember when people were typing just after the 5.0 patch that it wasn't healing/shielding on misses despite the fact that it was working even against the lvl 90 raid dummy as lvl 85. Even now it still functions. It's the same reason why the runes go on CD regardless.

I do wager that the devs just don't want hit/expertise to not be relied on for survival. We are starting at the lower end so I wager hit/expertise would not be as valuable until later. I'm currently turning those into mitigation first.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I like having hit + exp caps, and I still have pretty high mastery, and have no problem surviving.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Yeah, I was gearing with the impression that DS doesn't heal if it misses. So maybe I'll go back to just trying to stack mastery. I haven't done any serious reforges or gemming yet, I'm still missing a few pieces.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]