Does anyone else get a very "old god"-y vibe

90 Pandaren Monk
From the Sha?

The whole emphasis on driving people crazy and working mind control, combined with the very otherworldly vibe they give off really reminds me of the two. Admittedly there's a lot of aesthetic differences, but the methodology and end result is pretty much the same.

I suppose it's probably unlikely that there's a connection, but I think it would be cool if there was.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
From the Sha?

The whole emphasis on driving people crazy and working mind control, combined with the very otherworldly vibe they give off really reminds me of the two. Admittedly there's a lot of aesthetic differences, but the methodology and end result is pretty much the same.

I suppose it's probably unlikely that there's a connection, but I think it would be cool if there was.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sha are close to the Old Gods. Part of me wants to believe that Everything connects to N'Zoth at this point.

But, for the sake of crazy ideas...
What if there's a Sha in Tirisfal Glades, explaining the corruption and evil that seems to exist there?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Get exalted with the Klaxxi, and you'll see just how connected they are.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
The Sha were created when the old god ysaarj (spfail?) was killed. Not defeated, killed. They are his remnants.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Warlock
Sha are the physical manifests of the emotions of the last Pandaren Emperor, SHAohao. But one thing that does interest me is the similarities between the emperor and Y'SHAarj. Might be a coincidence that they both have Sha in their name, or it might mean something greater.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The seven main Sha are remnants of Y'Shaarj, and one was expelled from each of his seven heads when he died.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Y%27Shaarj
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
The six major Sha we see are the negative emotions of the last Pandaren Emperor Shaohao. However, the Sha exist on Pandaria due to Y'Shaarj, the only Old God that the Titans outright destroyed. With its last breath, Y'Shaarj cursed Pandaria with the Sha.

At least, that's the best conclusion I have been able to come up with that connects the Sha to both Shaohao and Y'Shaarj. They are both connected to the Sha, however. That much seems certain.
Edited by Abal on 10/1/2012 4:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Orc Warrior
is anyone else getting the feeling that once they're dealt with old yshaarj will be making a comeback?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
My personal belief - at least until we learn more - is that the story of Emperor Shaohao is more metaphor and symbolism than literal truth, and that in reality he probably just defeated and imprisoned the sha.

10/01/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Shippyship
is anyone else getting the feeling that once they're dealt with old yshaarj will be making a comeback?
Blizzard has confirmed that Y'shaarj is very, very, very dead.
Edited by Vegdrasil on 10/1/2012 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10/01/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
Blizzard has confirmed that Y'shaarj is very, very, very dead.

For now.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Paladin
10/01/2012 04:58 PMPosted by Vegdrasil
My personal belief - at least until we learn more - is that the story of Emperor Shaohao is more metaphor and symbolism than literal truth, and that in reality he probably just defeated and imprisoned the sha.

We know that Hozen magic can cause Sha to manifest from a person's negative emotions, which points to the story having at least some literal truth to it.

My guess would be the Monkey King's masks worked, perhaps unwittingly as we are dealing with Hozen magic, by harnessing the latent energy of Y'Shaarj into a physical manifestation of a person's negative emotions. The basic idea is that the story of Shaohao is true in general, but the only reason the Sha became so powerful, or even existed at all, was due to the leftover essence of Y'Shaarj.
Reply Quote
The connection between the Sha and the dead Old God Y'shaarj makes me extremely pessimistic about killing the other Old Gods.

At first I thought that the Titans simply couldn't kill Old Gods because they were too large and destroy Azeroth in the process.

But now, from Y'shaarj curse, it seems that the Old Gods could really destroy the planet if they were killed, period.

If all the other Old Gods can leave lingering effects like Y'shaarj did, we are all doomed, again.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/01/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Arbiter
If all the other Old Gods can leave lingering effects like Y'shaarj did, we are all doomed, again.

Kalimdor will have the 7 Eyes of C'thun, and Norrthrend will have the 7 Mouths of Yogg, and Eastern Kingdoms will have the 7 body-parts of whateverisundertrisfal.
Reply Quote
63 Draenei Paladin
Y'shaarj represent's Negetive emotions so it's obvious that his shadows would be negative emotion based. As for the other Old Gods Cthun seems to have implanted his shadow of chaos into Cho'Gall. What Yogg-Saron's shadow is I do not know yet it will most likely have to do with the Realm of Shadows(the afterlife Arthas and Sylvanas ended up(temporarily in Sylvanas's case) in and might also have to do with Velen's vision about an even worse Lich King than either Arthas or Nerzhul(Yogg-Saron's theme playing when Bolvar convinced Tirion that he and not Tirion should be The Lich King seems quite suspicious maybe it would been better if Tirion did become The Lich King and not "Bolvar")
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/01/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Gávinn
Theres a pretty interesting theory out there...that whatever is under tirisfall (its not an old god confirmed by blizzard) it just might be Tyr(spelling?) Think hes supposed to be a titan construct that was guarding Ulduar but wasnt there when went rolling in.

Hmmm. But why would Tyr drive the blood elves to slight madness and "whisper in their minds"?

It does make sense looking at Sylvanas. Tyr is the Norse God of War, could be driving her to, well, War.

But anyways, it could be a play on words by Blizzard. The Sha aren't Old Gods. There are no Old Gods in Pandaria. They are OF Old Gods. /wink
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
The Eastern Kingdoms Old God is more likely somewhere beneath Stranglethorn.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Contents_of_Mosh%27Ogg_Bounty

Tirisfal is something else. Maybe it's related, maybe it's not. Whatever the case the Old Gods seem pretty evenly distributed by continent.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
The Eastern Kingdoms Old God is more likely somewhere beneath Stranglethorn.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Contents_of_Mosh%27Ogg_Bounty

Tirisfal is something else. Maybe it's related, maybe it's not. Whatever the case the Old Gods seem pretty evenly distributed by continent.

Or, given that Uldaman is smack in the middle, that was found in STV, and Trisfal, the Old God is just... really, REALLY big.

I mean, the Sha cover all of Pandaria, and it's about half the size of Eastern Kingdoms.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
There's nothing to suggest any Old God connection in Uldaman.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/02/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
There's nothing to suggest any Old God connection in Uldaman.

The Obsidian Guardian? His orb is "corrupted".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]