A thankful players response to a CS Response

90 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Bashiok
Back to the need/greed system though, it's essentially a limitation in it not being able to determine spec, and our CS department just can't play arbiter for every drop to determine who 'deserves' an item more than someone else.

You have a system in LFR and for questing in MOP that does just that though, determines spec

Why not just apply that to dungeons?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Because you'll come back here and complain about 45 minute queue times and never seeing your gear drop, rather than seeing it drop and losing it.

The second they make healers and tanks queue as dps to get dps gear, queue times are going up up up baby.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 09:46 AMPosted by Firestyle
Because you'll come back here and complain about 45 minute queue times and never seeing your gear drop, rather than seeing it drop and losing it.

Will I?

Funny I've been raiding since vanilla, I'm not exactly one to get upset over...rng.

But this sytem would make my forum browsing experience just a little bit better
Edited by Paladinchaz on 10/2/2012 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

You have a system in LFR and for questing in MOP that does just that though, determines spec

There still seems to be a debate over whether offspecs rolling against mainspecs is really "wrong" though. Some tanks have brought up good points about how they are supposed to get dps gear if they run as the much-needed tanks. Heck last night I watched the feral druid roll on and win the spirit staff I'd been trying to get. That's just the nature of the beast.

So it isn't as simple as saying Blizzard could implement it, because the question of *if* they should implement it still remains.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
So it isn't as simple as saying Blizzard could implement it, because the question of *if* they should implement it still remains.

^ this
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Snowfox
Some tanks have brought up good points about how they are supposed to get dps gear if they run as the much-needed tanks. Heck last night I watched the feral druid roll on and win the spirit staff I'd been trying to get. That's just the nature of the beast.

And I say, that Tanks can run so many more times than DPS, due to insta vs 15 min + queues, that they'll eventually run in a group with no dps of their armor type and win gear that way?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest

And I say, that Tanks can run so many more times than DPS, due to insta vs 15 min + queues, that they'll eventually run in a group with no dps of their armor type and win gear that way?

I don't think any system based on "tanks/healers get faster queues" is going to be fair.

It sounds more vindictive.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Some tanks have brought up good points about how they are supposed to get dps gear if they run as the much-needed tanks. Heck last night I watched the feral druid roll on and win the spirit staff I'd been trying to get. That's just the nature of the beast.

Wouldn't your own logic simply just resolve your issue? Can't you just queue up as a tank and run a bunch of times and eventually you'll get it in absence of a dps that needs it? Or alternatively, you could need on it regardless.
Edited by Firestyle on 10/2/2012 10:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think any system based on "tanks/healers get faster queues" is going to be fair.

It sounds more vindictive.

Well, its no less fair than them getting faster queues and rolling on everything against dps who have longer queues

Wouldn't your own logic simply just resolve your issue? Can't you just queue up as a tank and run a bunch of times and eventually you'll get it in absence of a dps that needs it? Or alternatively, you could need on it regardless.

If I had full tank set I would tank, but I dont roll against Plate tanks currently tanking my heroic because tanking is my 'off set' unless they dont need the item.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If I had full tank set I would tank, but I dont roll against Plate tanks currently tanking my heroic because tanking is my 'off set' unless they dont need the item.

How do you think existing tanks got their tank sets? I'm pretty sure they all didn't level as tanks.

Well, its no less fair than them getting faster queues and rolling on everything against dps who have longer queues

Yes, but I am dps too. Except, I choose to heal sometimes. It's a sacrafice I make for queue time, not a sacrafice I make for the choice of gear I want. You could choose to tank sometimes, you choose not to.
Edited by Firestyle on 10/2/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
How do you think existing tanks got their tank sets? I'm pretty sure they all didn't level as tanks.

Pretty sure they all didnt roll against tanks in their dungeon either. I'm not going to be a jerk to others in dungeons to satisfy my own means. If the current tank needs the upgrade I'm not going to take it from him because I can roll on it too.

And leveling as a tank is completly viable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I guess that leaves me being a jerk, because if I'm healing and caster dps items drop - I'm needing them too, since dps is my main spec.

I think the part that is hard to grasp for a lot of folks, is that there are A LOT of tanks and healers who are doing that role only to make grouping easier and faster. Many of us are all still main spec dps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yes, but I am dps too. Except, I choose to heal sometimes. It's a sacrafice I make for queue time, not a sacrafice I make for the choice of gear I want. You could choose to tank sometimes, you choose not to.

I dont 'choose' not to, I dont have the gear to be a viable tank at the moment, no one wants me tanking right now. I'll get gear for it eventualy, but not at the expense of whoever is currently tanking my dungeon, if they happen to be a Plate tank (Which 3 out of the 5 tanks are)

If a guy is tanking a dugeon, I think he's earned the right to his tank gear. Likewise, if someone sat through the dps queue instead of 'cheesing' the queues with their off specs, I think they earned the right to their DPS gear.

Some people dont like healing or tanking, they shouldnt be punished for that
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Some people don't like waiting in queues, and will opt to do a less fun role for the sake of the group. They shouldn't be punished for that either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Back to the need/greed system though, it's essentially a limitation in it not being able to determine spec, and our CS department just can't play arbiter for every drop to determine who 'deserves' an item more than someone else. While it can be a frustrating situation, I hope at least that makes sense.
You can determine spec (or role) for LFR but not for 5 mans? That doesnt make sense.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Firestyle
Some people don't like waiting in queues, and will opt to do a less fun role for the sake of the group. They shouldn't be punished for that either.

Why do you think you're entitled to gear up faster than someone to willing to wait in the dps queues?

There has to be DPS for the group. Not everyone can roll healer/tank.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I wish there was an option where you could pick from 2 queues, one with strict needing by role, and another permitting OS need rolling. You could queue into either. I have a feeling, the queue time in the queue that permitted OS need rolling would be many times faster than the queue with strict needing by role.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Typical response debasing a logical response and providing no rebuttal, requests, or questions. Why bother?

Because you OBVIOUSLY did not read the original post, nor the remainder of the thread, Bash.

There are items that are of little-to-no use to some classes being need rolled on by them, but the classes it was intended for cannot roll Need?

Put your reading glasses on, man.

Searing Words, maybe? PALADINS (who gain no benefit from Agility) can roll Need on it, but Rogues and Hunters cannot?

Hello? Anyone home?

I didn't even know it existed because when you put the Hunter filter on in the journal, it doesn't show up. There's another trinket that's the same way. I thought Scarlet Monastery and Scholomance only had one hunter drop each until this morning, which was annoying.

This really just comes down to Blizz's laziness. If they cared at all, they'd specify which SPECS each piece of loot is built for, have us queue as a SPEC (rather than a role - it makes no difference to us as players, but would make the system work beautiful... it also has the added benefit of preventing idiots from queuing as tanks/healers when they have not tank or heal spec), and then add a fourth option to the list.

1) Main Spec Need - only allows people to roll on items marked for the spec they queued for.
2) Off Spec Need - allows anyone to roll on any item appopriate for their class, regardless of spec.
3) Greed/DE - same as now.
4) Pass

Every single problem solved. Anyone who doesn't like that plan is clearly just a hybrid who enjoys getting to unfairly gear up significantly faster than the rest of us.
Edited by Peverell on 10/2/2012 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/02/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Paladinchaz

Why do you think you're entitled to gear up faster than someone to willing to wait in the dps queues?

There has to be DPS for the group. Not everyone can roll healer/tank.

I'm not entitled to gear up faster. I'd only be entitled if I didn't also have the same expectation from others, which is that if a boomkin wants to need on the healing trinket when I am healing - it's his right to do so. I'm not gearing up any faster that way, I'm playing fair rolls on gear both of us have a need for.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm not entitled to gear up faster. I'd only be entitled if I didn't also have the same expectation from others, which is that if a boomkin wants to need on the healing trinket when I am healing - it's his right to do so. I'm not gearing up any faster that way, I'm playing fair rolls on gear both of us have a need for.

Not everyone feels that they should click the "Need' button every time there is an option to do it though

I was running last night and a cloth helm dropped, but I was able to click "Need" on it should I have chosen, should I have "Needed" on that since I had the ability to?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]