Shadow AoE Issues/Solutions

90 Blood Elf Priest
I believe that a re-formatting of Shadow Priest AoE needs to be done, and there can be few things that can be tweaked/changed/altered to fix this.

Right now as it stands, Shadow is at the lowest for anything with more than 1 target. Other classes have more tools at their disposable than Shadow currently does. The argument can be said to just simply multi-dot mobs and mind sear, refresh, repeat, etc. .
But that isn't something that is viable. There needs to be something to bring Shadow up to where other casters are at right now. The 30% damage hot fix to mind sear simply wasn't enough, nor has it been strong at all.

I propose two options that could very well boost this crisis affecting Shadow Priests currently. Both of which is comparable to other classes :

1. Make Mind Sear act like a Death Knight Pestilence, where you can use Shadow Word:Pain / Vampiric Touch on your main target, and then mind sear will then spread a shorter duration of those dots. I think having them at full duration might just be too strong, therefore not a wise choice as that wouldn't be working as intended.

2. Boost Mind Sears actual damage by a higher percentage than just the 30%. I believe that an additional 25% would effectively boost the damage of it to make it comparable to other classes. Granted, there could be more of a % base that could make it even MORE viable.

I'd really like to see something done about this plague. Shadow has exceptional single-target damage and I'm very pleased how they've handled that, but anything with more than 1 target makes it lack comparative to other casters. If anyone has something to add, please feel free add more suggestions. I love Priests more than anything, and it makes me sad to see this be a big issue. Thank you for your time.
Edited by Doriån on 10/2/2012 12:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Bump
Reply Quote
I agree. My 88 shadow priest is terribly low on DPS when it comes to AoE.. I even have a hard time killing off 3+ mobs when questing.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Current shadow priest AoE makes baby jesus cry. I like the DoT spreading idea, very similar to something warlocks have with Soulburn (I think?).

Mind sear is utterly useless on any pull. The damage is laughable. My DPS with 5+ targets is bad, and I feel bad.

Fix plz :(
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I agree, by the time you apply SW:P to a few targets and then start using mind sear the mobs are nearly dead. Doing 20k to max if you're lucky 30k aoe dps when everyone else is doing 50k is too big of a difference.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Mind Sear does feel much less powerful than it did just a few patches ago. I've been using the tab target SW:P then Minf Flay method and that helps, but doesn't change the fact that Mind Sear is pretty lackluster in the ol' DPS department. Just boosting the damage some would make it a ton better.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
10/02/2012 05:14 AMPosted by Lysaa
I agree, by the time you apply SW:P to a few targets and then start using mind sear the mobs are nearly dead. Doing 20k to max if you're lucky 30k aoe dps when everyone else is doing 50k is too big of a difference.

50k?

Try 100-120k rogues and warriors. I'm okay with tanks doing a ridiculous 150k AoE DPS at the moment, simply because vengeance is still "broken", and it's the beginning of the expansion.

However, when I pop Halo at max range and spam MS, I can't get above 60-70k AoE DPS when other classes are tearing it up. Sad face.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
10/02/2012 05:56 AMPosted by Theyas

50k?

Try 100-120k rogues and warriors. I'm okay with tanks doing a ridiculous 150k AoE DPS at the moment, simply because vengeance is still "broken", and it's the beginning of the expansion.

However, when I pop Halo at max range and spam MS, I can't get above 60-70k AoE DPS when other classes are tearing it up. Sad face.

I can get 60-70k as well.

Our class is designed for single target, if you multi dot then single target our AoE is fine.

The only Raid bosses that require AoE have large health pools anyways and need to be kept spread, so actually come raiding, Spriests will be some of the better AoErs
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Questing solo on my toon has been a pain, especially when you run into the 5+ mobs that pull at once. I have to bubble and Flash Heal to survive then continue with DPS. The idea of a Pestilence style for Mind Sear is an amazing idea IMO.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Right now as it stands, Shadow is at the lowest for anything with more than 1 target. Other classes have more tools at their disposable than Shadow currently does. The argument can be said to just simply multi-dot mobs and mind sear, refresh, repeat, etc. .
But that isn't something that is viable.

False.

Multi - Dotting is the bread and butter of Shadow AoE if you aren't doing it then "You're doing it wrong..."

If you can't get over 100k burst on Halo, it means you are standing to close to the mobs. Practice standing about 25 yards away, and whenever you see a pack of 4+ mobs get ready for a 200k+ burst.

Like Ruckeri said, do the single target rotation, but on all the mobs. When you are able to do that you'll see you are just as competitive, you just have a lot more to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
No class should be designed for single target. Every class needs to have a balance of single target AND AoE abilities. Using the Halo + Multi-dot method has your initial boost of 50k+ dps, but falls very fast after that. Especially with Halo being on a 40 second cooldown.

It really just comes down to this, we are not as viable as other classes once more than 1 target comes. It doesn't even compare. And with regards to raiding AoE, it will still matter. We will still be lower, even if we multi-dot the different bosses/mobs.

It's a big matter that needs addressing, because the 30% hot fix boost to mind sear didn't give us nearly enough damage to be even slightly competitive with other classes.

I'd really love to hear what you guys think about the options. I think that if the Priest community comes in, we could really push for things to change.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
When I hit Townlonge Steppes and was fighting those bull people, aggroing more than one was pretty much suicide. AOE was useless.

Was there supposed to be an ability that procs so that we could actually throw mind spike into our rotations? Does anyone actually use this spell?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/02/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Maranwé
Was there supposed to be an ability that procs so that we could actually throw mind spike into our rotations? Does anyone actually use this spell?

the talent "from darkness, comes light" causes vampiric touch to have a chance to proc a free, instant mind spike that does not cancel dots on a target.
Edited by Tsilyi on 10/2/2012 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
10/02/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Tsilyi

the talent "from darkness, comes light" causes vampiric touch to have a chance to proc a free, instant mind spike that does not cancel dots on a target.

Also increases MS damage by 50% :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
10/02/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Theyas
Also increases MS damage by 50% :)

GET OUT OF MY THREAD, THEYAS.

jk... that it does!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Spriest can AoE just fine, it just takes a helluva lot more work than everyone else.

Spamming SW:P is not the answer. You need to use VT & SW:P.

Get both DoT's up on 3+ targets and watch the MB/MS procs go off like the 4th of july. Rinse and repeat.

It's harder then say, a Fire Mage who get to spread their DoTs with one freaking button, but it's plenty doable and I rarely lose DPS in AOE encounters.

Just gotta be really fast and work twice as hard.
Edited by Cura on 10/2/2012 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
1 SOLUTION ......../PHY SCREAM/HALO........DEAD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mind sear fails as much as it did at the beginning of Cata. We were using it too much, so they over nerfed the damn spell to compensate. The idea of having it spread our DoTs was brought up back then, but I guess blizzard once again disregarded the idea even though we are one of the few classes that has to work ridiculously hard to have our aoe (that doesn't have a cd) doing as much damage as other classes'.

Halo is nice; I pop that in some five mans at optimal distance and I've seen 217k dps right off the bat. However, that dps isn't sustained because it has a 40 sec cd. I'm now saying that this should be removed, but we should have another option for viable aoe that makes us competative on aoe fights.
Edited by Theeslan on 10/2/2012 11:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
While us and Afflic locks are the lowest on aoe damage it's not bad on few targets. You win some you lose some. In heroics I am just picking loot and making bolts as DK in my guild and tank plow though it and i join them for boss =D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
mind sear is sooooo bad its embarrasing
Edited by Ísìs on 10/3/2012 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]