World Boss Griefing?

90 Night Elf Druid
Hello,

What is the stance regarding world boss (Galleon and Sha of Anger) griefing? I.e. one group gets the tag, someone not in the group decides to do everything in their power to screw up the pull?

Some methods of griefing that I've seen include but are not limited to:
- Pulling the boss and causing it to despawn every time it spawns.
- Taunting the boss and attempting to reset it or wiping the raid with it.

It is possible to counteract these measures but the fact that they happen, well, I'd imagine that it's rougher on PvP servers.

I am not sure so I am asking here: is intentional griefing on world bosses something that Blue is ok with? Is it accepted as coming with the package when world bosses were re-introduced or not?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You'll want to report anyone attempting to grief your world boss attempts. I "believe" it would fall under zone disruption.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What is the proper way to do that? As it is, we can open tickets manually, but I am concerned that I'd just get a generic reply instructing me to right click the person's portrait or their name in chat, and it's somewhat hard to do that when they don't say anything or is hiding in an instance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I would do it manually, and I would have just 1 person open the ticket to avoid confusion. Explain that someone was purposely causing your group to wipe and how. Honestly, the right click and report would not apply in this situation because zone disruption does not fall under any of those topics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I tried opening a ticket manually and got redirected to the right click function.

Today, we got griefed massively again while trying to do Galleon. We succeeded, but not after having it made to despawn on us. What happened was people would taunt and run away, causing him to despawn. We counteracted by using our taunts, but is this really the intended design of World Bosses? Is this griefing that is actionable? I've heard that it is, but some sort of official indication either way would be nice.
Edited by Lerrielin on 10/3/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
09/28/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Lerrielin
What is the stance regarding world boss (Galleon and Sha of Anger) griefing? I.e. one group gets the tag, someone not in the group decides to do everything in their power to screw up the pull?

Depends on what the specific action were. The popular one seems to be taunting the boss away from the original group. Using your given abilities is not against the rules.

If they are doing something to try and wipe your group (other than accepted PvP tactics), then it could fall into something actionable.

You should always report anyone you think is doing something wrong. Blizzard will investigate, and if they find they did nothing against the rules, so be it.

09/28/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Lerrielin
What is the proper way to do that?

Probably to right-click, and report for Cheating. I know it's not exactly clear under that category, but you will get a box to explain. It will be sent to the right people, and they will investigate.

Don't use words like "griefing" or "harassment". Be specific about what they are doing.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/03/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Lerrielin
is this really the intended design of World Bosses? Is this griefing that is actionable?

Using your abilities is not against the rules. As for "intended design", it is indeed intended that there be competition for resources/mobs out in the world. Even if it means a world boss encounter.

It certainly may not be polite, but it's not against the rules to be impolite to others.

10/03/2012 01:29 PMPosted by Lerrielin
some sort of official indication either way would be nice.

I'm not sure you'll ever get an official statement on it. They judge everything on a case-by-case basis, and often, it's very small details and distinctions that can change it to an actionable offense. They simply can't make such a broad statement, encompassing every possible action/reaction.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
also on ours today we were down to like 20% and doing good but ally flagged themselves and ran in our aoe and we accidently tab targeted and hit them then our whole raid got flagged and they killed us then they took the kill instead, there is a reason we are on a normal server because we do not want world pvp, blizz should fix this....
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/03/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Hankypanky
also on ours today we were down to like 20% and doing good but ally flagged themselves and ran in our aoe and we accidently tab targeted and hit them then our whole raid got flagged and they killed us then they took the kill instead, there is a reason we are on a normal server because we do not want world pvp, blizz should fix this....

That isn't against the rules at all and isn't broken for Blizzard to fix. In fact it is even an example given as for what is acceptable and not against the rules. Playing on a normal realm doesn't mean that PvP can't happen.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
yeah but it shouldnt effect the outcome whether we can get a boss kill or not, we are on a normal server so we arent flagged and we dont want to deal with alliance and a boss together, so if we dont want that we shouldnt have to deal with it, if we chose to be on a pvp server thats another case but it makes it impossible for us to do it
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In our case, what happened was that a Horde group that was supposedly forming got upset that we were working on Galleon. I'm not sure where they were, before we tagged him we hung about for fifteen minutes to see if there were any other raid groups around, and there were not.

The Horde flagged up and tried to wipe us by flagging us up, but we just killed them. They then chain taunted the boss away and despawned him. On the next pull, they continued trying to do this, but did not succeed in despawning him again. How would their actions in this regards categorize?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/03/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Hankypanky
yeah but it shouldnt effect the outcome whether we can get a boss kill or not, we are on a normal server so we arent flagged and we dont want to deal with alliance and a boss together, so if we dont want that we shouldnt have to deal with it, if we chose to be on a pvp server thats another case but it makes it impossible for us to do it

Again a normal server doesn't mean that PvP can't happen. It simply means that you can control when it happens more then you can on a PvP server. The game is called World of WARcraft and the two factions are at war. PvP is going to happen, the players did nothing against the rules and there is nothing that is not working as intended.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/03/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Lerrielin
The Horde flagged up and tried to wipe us by flagging us up, but we just killed them. They then chain taunted the boss away and despawned him. On the next pull, they continued trying to do this, but did not succeed in despawning him again. How would their actions in this regards categorize?

As with in the rules, the boss is not considered "yours" it is a free for all, if someone is able to taunt it away then they are well with in their rights to do so.
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
10/03/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Scuba

That isn't against the rules at all and isn't broken for Blizzard to fix. In fact it is even an example given as for what is acceptable and not against the rules. Playing on a normal realm doesn't mean that PvP can't happen.

A long time ago, back on the old forums during vanilla, I remember a blue post saying PvP flagging and trying to get others to tab-target and flag during a world boss was strictly against the rules of a PvE realm. A shame I have no way to bring up stuff that old.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
im just saying they should make it so if you arent flagged then tab target shouldnt target a flagged person, we dont want pvp while we are raiding and now they put world raid bosses so we have to deal with them stealing kills by doing it that way, if we wipe and they take it its one thing but if they cause the wipe and they take it that is not the way a normal server should work
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
10/03/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Scuba
As with in the rules, the boss is not considered "yours" it is a free for all, if someone is able to taunt it away then they are well with in their rights to do so.

I'm just trying to get my facts straight. I normally wouldn't do something like this because A) It's douchey and B) It might be against the ToS, but if it's all fair game then it's ok for raid groups to pull the boss away and despawn it on each other? Because if people do this !@#$ to us, I sure as hell wouldn't mind returning the favor.
Edited by Lerrielin on 10/3/2012 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/03/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Hankypanky
we accidently tab targeted and hit them

This is not their fault. They can be flagged all day, but you performed the actions that got you flagged. "Tricking" someone into getting flagged is not against the rules, and really, you didn't get "tricked" into anything.

In our case, what happened was that a Horde group that was supposedly forming got upset that we were working on Galleon. I'm not sure where they were, before we tagged him we hung about for fifteen minutes to see if there were any other raid groups around, and there were not.

You can always report them. That's the way to go, and have Blizzard investigate.

But nothing you said here would seem to be against any rule. They engaged you in PvP combat, which is allowed. Then, they used their ability to taunt the boss, which is also allowed.

This is the nature of world bosses. There's always competition, and what some would consider to be impolite or "being a jerk" is not against the rules.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

This is the nature of world bosses. There's always competition, and what some would consider to be impolite or "being a jerk" is not against the rules.

Taunting is fine, they can tank it for us if they'd like. :D Is the act of taunting for the purpose of running away and causing a despawn ok, though?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
i still dont get it, i am on a normal server so i can controll if i want to pvp or not, them standing in the middle of aoe and getting tab targeted, who looks before they shoot in the middle of a fight? so really i dont think this is fair conduct
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/03/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Fluorescence

A long time ago, back on the old forums during vanilla, I remember a blue post saying PvP flagging and trying to get others to tab-target and flag during a world boss was strictly against the rules of a PvE realm. A shame I have no way to bring up stuff that old.

That is a good thing, because the rules have changed. PvP flagging and trying to get others to tab-target and flag is actually given as an example of what IS acceptable to do. Rules change, if you want you can find the rules on what is and isn't acceptable on the website.

10/03/2012 02:06 PMPosted by Hankypanky
im just saying they should make it so if you arent flagged then tab target shouldnt target a flagged person, we dont want pvp while we are raiding and now they put world raid bosses so we have to deal with them stealing kills by doing it that way, if we wipe and they take it its one thing but if they cause the wipe and they take it that is not the way a normal server should work

That is the way a normal server should work. As Blizzard has stated numerous times, a normal server doesn't mean that you free from ever PvPing. You simply have more control over when you PvP, that doesn't mean that others can't try to flag you. If you think that should be changed then you need to post that suggestion over on the PvP forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]