Ancient Astronaut Theory

90 Goblin Warlock
So ive been watching videos on the Ancient Astronaut Theory, and its incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck54u5ZH6x0
Whats your thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That video isn't viewable in Canada, but I have some opinions on the Ancient Astronaut theory.

1) Human ingenuity is sufficient to create all of the strange things of the ancient world. In recent years, scientists have managed to reproduce the Pyramids, the Nazca Lines, and more, all using technologies that were only available to the people of those regions and time periods. We've forgotten a lot of techniques over the centuries, in favour of more modern ways of doing things, such as Greek Fire, Archimedes' death ray, etc. But, using some research and the same methods of trial and error that the ancients used, it's possible to get that knowledge back.

2) Why would aliens go to all the trouble of traveling interstellar distances to make a bunch of giant pictures and stone buildings and then fly off afterward? It seems like a huge waste of resources.

3) This is more of a pet peeve than an argument but I've always felt that the Ancient Astronaut theory is an insult to humankind as a whole. People who push it seem like they refuse to believe that human beings are capable of doing great things without outside help. We're an incredible species. What we've accomplished in the last century especially is a testament to that. And people in ancient times were just as smart as we are now. They might not have had as much of a scientific background compared to us, but they were still intelligent enough to use what they knew in new and interesting ways. Adding some alien caretaker into the mix does nothing but diminish what they had done. Unless someone digs up a millennia-old stargate or a space ship, I'm keeping my money on the home team of H Sapiens.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ancient astronauts strikes me as just one of many, in a very long list, of "easy" supernatural explanations for things people can't understand.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage

2) Why would aliens go to all the trouble of traveling interstellar distances to make a bunch of giant pictures and stone buildings and then fly off afterward? It seems like a huge waste of resources.

For the lolz :)
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Death Knight
- Time travel
- Aliens
- Ancient Terran techniques forgotten that permitted impeccable things to be done

Why is the third option always assumed impossible?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ
on the youtubez
This video debunks, I think, every claim ever made of that silly show :-D
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
An entertaining show. After the first "huh.. thats interesting" moment, when the words "ancient aliens" is mentioned, it's just laughable.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Here's my "What the hell really happened" probability list.

1. Ancient humans being stupid with their time and resources to build all this crap.

2. Ancient aliens trolling ancient humans by presenting themselves as gods. Probably a bunch of teenagers who stole dad's ship.

3. Actual gods doing god stuff. Like shooting lightning or accidentally impregnating your great-grandmother by trying to force yourself onto your sister.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I honestly have trouble supporting it because we have not ever found evidence of highly advanced tech. Humans like to leave !@#$ laying around and trust me if we came to Earth a huge time ago on space ships there would be evidence somewhere.

That said I would not be surprised if there is other life out there that has come by this world just to take a look and of course be utterly scared %^-*less of how violent we are. So I Suggest we get those 800mm railguns firing slugs at .3c figured out and into orbit just in case someone comes by to try and stop us from progressing to a space faring species.
Reply Quote
10/25/2012 10:08 AMPosted by Delmarva
So I Suggest we get those 800mm railguns firing slugs at .3c figured out and into orbit just in case someone comes by to try and stop us from progressing to a space faring species.

This thought seems both counterproductive and counter-intuitive to me.

Unless this is some attempt at humor I'm missing out on, because to me, this seems very much a problem to try putting railguns in orbit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
well they make great planetary defense weapons. Reason for orbit is that defending your orbital sphere from the surface is not efficient.

Just as we need to push out of our solar system, We also need to defend its habitable world(and hopfully someday worlds once we Terraform mars).

The largest issue right now is the world is not stable enough to have such devices in orbit, As they can just as easy be aimed down at a target as they could hit something coming at us from deep space. And there is one thing you do not want is orbital kinetic bombardment as an option in the hands of the current people controlling things on this planet.

It was somewhat a joke and somewhat serious. We do need to consider planetary defense just in case whatever other life out there does not come in peace. But we first need to solve our "peace issues" down here before putting highly destructive weapons into our orbit.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Actually modern technology could cut stone that accurately. However it would be a worthless effort when we could use steel instead for the structure. After all there is the Great Pyramid of Vegas. XD
Reply Quote
well they make great planetary defense weapons. Reason for orbit is that defending your orbital sphere from the surface is not efficient.

Just as we need to push out of our solar system, We also need to defend its habitable world(and hopfully someday worlds once we Terraform mars).

The largest issue right now is the world is not stable enough to have such devices in orbit, As they can just as easy be aimed down at a target as they could hit something coming at us from deep space. And there is one thing you do not want is orbital kinetic bombardment as an option in the hands of the current people controlling things on this planet.

It was somewhat a joke and somewhat serious. We do need to consider planetary defense just in case whatever other life out there does not come in peace. But we first need to solve our "peace issues" down here before putting highly destructive weapons into our orbit.

That's the sort of clarification I needed after reading that, thank you.

With said further information of your opinion, I agree entirely on the las paragraph's major point shared witht he paragraph above it. There's no reason to put something so destructive into orbit right now. Maybe one day, but not right now. We have some housekeeping to do as a species, currently, it seems to me.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
societies yield experts in fields of study that are valued to that society.
If we had pyramid building classes in every junior college in the country, we likely would yield a viable force of pyramid builders.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Monk
At some point in our lives as children and teenagers we learn about the ancient astronaut theory, and we think it all makes sense, based on fallacious and emotional thinking.

Thankfully most of us learn about critical thinking and grow out of indulging any theory that makes us into privileged observers in a world where science is so arrogant that they can't "open their minds" and guess crap based on how it "seems".

Yes, they could make the pyramids now if they had a good reason too.

The thing the pyramid morons don't seem to understand is, we have many centuries worth of lop sided and failed pyramids all over Egypt, which when examined in chronological order, show hundreds of years of trial and error even the most dim witted would have to admit is obvious.

You indulge this crap because it's sexy and makes your life and your origins into an exciting and dramatic thing. Hopefully you learn to value what is true over what makes you feel special. Eventually you'll see the truths you can actually learn are simpler and more amazing than any of this fiction.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Monk
10/26/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Positron
Actually modern technology could cut stone that accurately. However it would be a worthless effort when we could use steel instead for the structure. After all there is the Great Pyramid of Vegas. XD

How about of that size and then move them miles and lift them?

Bottom line is they can't make the pyramids now.
Our buildings are superior to the pyramids in so many ways, it takes a myopic mind to think building a pile of stone is better than an elegant and sophisticated dome or buttress just because one lasts longer because it's a freaking pile of stone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]