New rep grind...

100 Tauren Warrior
So I've yet to meet a SINGLE person who likes the new idea of grinding out 40+ (Starts at 27 dailies, but more and more open. We did 43 last night.) dailies a day just to be able to spend JP/VP. Due to the amount I work I only have enough time to do the dailies, then log off so clearly my gear is weak. but Sunday I'll be home for a bit and will run heroics. Thus upgrading any possible slot I can buy via Justice (I can't even buy Justice from any but 2 reps ATM).

I killed 7 world rares and got 2 peace pipes, so I managed to get honored with one rep before the person I duo'd with did, but the rep is PAINFULLY slow. Not even honored with several of them.

My question is: How did this go live? It's an absolutely terrible concept - You want reps and dailies, that's fine. But a month of them to spend Valor Points on an alt? Yea, I'd rather just quit the game entirely, or never play a single alt. The person who pitched this idea, and especially the person who approved it should really be re-evaluated on their understanding of the player base.

And things like "You don't have to do them." "You don't NEED to spend the valor." aren't really acceptable replies. Since some of us who are barely holding onto WoW by a single thread like to pretend this game still has any difficulty. Which is why I had several level 90 pieces waiting for me to ding to make sure I could "tank" the new heroics... and boy wasn't that a waste of time, since those are absolutely-stupid in terms of difficulty.

But I digress: Original point - Who thought having 27-64 (Depending on your rep) dailies required to spend Valor/Justice was a good idea?(With 310 flying, and two people who kill extremely quick, dailies ran us just under 2 hours. Maybe 10 minutes woulda been cut off had we not done all of Tillers, or the opening Cloud Serpent quests.)

Just think, once we're Honored/Revered with Golden Lotus ANOTHER hub(2 total) open up.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
09/29/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Teodoro
Original point - Who thought having 27-64 (Depending on your rep) dailies required to spend Valor/Justice was a good idea?

Why are you doing them all at once? With VP acquisition capped at 1,000 per week, which is less than you need for a ring, there's no point in getting every rep up to revered the first week.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
I also enjoy the rep grind. It's overwhelming at first, sure, but you'd whine about being bored if you completed everything within the first week...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Original point - Who thought having 27-64 (Depending on your rep) dailies required to spend Valor/Justice was a good idea?

Why are you doing them all at once? With VP acquisition capped at 1,000 per week, which is less than you need for a ring, there's no point in getting every rep up to revered the first week.

It's going to take about 2-3 weeks per rep to get Revered (110 rep per daily, ~6 dailies. ~660 total.) Not to mention doing only one rep at a time, you're looking at dailies for about 5 months. I think if I'ma have such a major time-sink, I'd rather suck it up all at once.

Edited to add more time to get Revered. Forgot most start at Friendly.

Time sink =/ Fun. Rep grinds have never really anticipated any sort of "completion" for me unless I'm achievement whoring it up. The rep grind basically just pushes you away from the idea of having alts.

I think maybe if this were back in the days when I was in school and could spend 12 hours a day online and spent most of that time going 'Damn, I'm bored....' like in the BC days I wouldn't mind it(Ogri'la/Skettis on all of your alts). But when WoW is taking such a drastic turn into making the game more "casual" why you would have a 2-3 hour a day time sink is quite awkward. On a day like Sunday when I can play for more than a couple hours I wouldn't mind doing the dailies, but during the week I work 13 hours without commute so leaves me little time to daily-grind-it-up.
Edited by Teodoro on 9/29/2012 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
Just like in Cata, the restrictions on getting gear will be loosened as the expansion moves on, as more and more sources of higher level gear are introduced. No, you're not supposed to be thinking about gearing alts week 1 of the expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
09/29/2012 06:24 AMPosted by Mnemonic
Just like in Cata, the restrictions on getting gear will be loosened as the expansion moves on, as more and more sources of higher level gear are introduced. No, you're not supposed to be thinking about gearing alts week 1 of the expansion.

I won't be able to spend valor on my main for 3 weeks. Much less spend JUSTICE on my alts. Do you really think that's honest logic? It's obviously just a hole in their system they didn't catch in beta. The rep requirement needs to be loosened for alts. If they didn't want ya gearing alts, why would ya get a bonus to points when your main is capped? JP/VP/Honor vendors should never have a "Rep" requirement. It's just pointless, unless Reps are carried across characters.
Edited by Teodoro on 9/29/2012 6:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I usually hate rep grinds, but I enjoy having something to log into, and not only grinding alts as something to do.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Why couldn't they allow you to get the same amount of rep from dungeons? Why did it HAVE to be funneled ONLY to dailies? Easily one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Glad I bailed as hard when I did ><.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Why couldn't they allow you to get the same amount of rep from dungeons? Why did it HAVE to be funneled ONLY to dailies? Easily one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. Glad I bailed as hard when I did ><.

Because you'd already be done with all the reps by day 2 if they were tabardable, and it'd be back to "raid on Tuesday"

You're already going to be doing dungeons, so having other parts of the 90 experience being completed is just lazy and actively removes content.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

Because you'd already be done with all the reps by day 2 if they were tabardable, and it'd be back to "raid on Tuesday"

You're already going to be doing dungeons, so having other parts of the 90 experience being completed is just lazy and actively removes content.

You can still cap out the rep per day, so it takes just as long AND means I'd never have to do dailies. What's so bad about choice, dailies OR dungeons, at least then I'd NEVER have to touch those dailies.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Allienna
You can still cap out the rep per day, so it takes just as long AND means I'd never have to do dailies. What's so bad about choice, dailies OR dungeons, at least then I'd NEVER have to touch those dailies.

It's not choice, dungeons are more or less required to acquire gear either way, the tabards simply means you'll have the rep while not doing anything out of your way.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Postonforums

It's not choice, dungeons are more or less required to acquire gear either way, the tabards simply means you'll have the rep while not doing anything out of your way.

So? I really don't see the problem, you'd still have to log in daily, you'd probably gear quick enough that you'd HAVE to farm dungeons or dailies well past they were useful. All it does is spread the choice on how you want to achieve your goal, Blizz's latest buzzword is choice, so why can't we have more?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Allienna
Blizz's latest buzzword is choice, so why can't we have more?

Because you would actively be removing choice, and simply be putting in a path of least resistance.

You really don't get this?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Postonforums

Because you would actively be removing choice, and simply be putting in a path of least resistance.

I don't think you are getting it. Having it fixed to dailies means I already have no choice, I'd HAVE to do dailies. This way, I MAY have to grind dungeons long enough that I'd get the rep in time, but I'd still have the choice of doing dailies OR dungeons. Actively forcing people into something they don't enjoy doing isn't good game design.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Allienna
Actively forcing people into something they don't enjoy doing isn't good game design.

I'd agree, but Im stuck doing LFR, 5 mans, dailies, pet grinding, killing bosses and leveling.

when all I want is to loot purples.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Postonforums
Actively forcing people into something they don't enjoy doing isn't good game design.

I'd agree, but Im stuck doing LFR, 5 mans, dailies, pet grinding, killing bosses and leveling.

when all I want is to loot purples.

You aren't? I'm sure if you were good enough you could do minimum dungeon reqs and heading straight into raiding when it is released. I sure as heck wouldn't touch pet battles (I own pokemon), and I quest until level cap and call it. I enjoy doing 5 man content with my small group of friends and 25 man content with my guild.

Purples don't enter into it. Stop projecting your anger at those who desperately want loot at me. All I want is to not do daily quests, I don't care if dungeons take TWICE as long to rep grind, I prefer doing dungeons.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
09/29/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Postonforums

Actually, I think this right here shows -you're- not quite getting it. He is right, it would PROMOTE choice. Some people do dailies for money/achievements ( A lot of achievements tied around those dailies.) being forced to do them removes choice. Adding dungeons/quests/tabards as a source for rep does in no way "remove" choice, because there currently is no choice.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
09/29/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Teodoro

Actually, I think this right here shows -you're- not quite getting it. He is right, it would PROMOTE choice. Some people do dailies for money/achievements ( A lot of achievements tied around those dailies.) being forced to do them removes choice. Adding dungeons/quests/tabards as a source for rep does in no way "remove" choice, because there currently is no choice.

Pretty much, as well as capping rep on dungeons so Dailies are still a lucrative (and quicker) choice for rep. I just wish I had the ability to choose which one I'd do. I still do dungeons well after I need anything from them because I enjoy cruising back with some 5 man content. I HATE questing though, if I have to quest I'll go play another game, I just don't enjoy picking up/killing 100 mobs daily.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
I honestly don't mind the dailies. But I am an alt-!@#$%, through-n-through. Keeping my main for raiding and alt for other stuff. Such as 'decking' them out in Valor gear. But when that isn't an option, it's likely I would rather just go play another game when I'm not raiding. Which is what MOST people do, which is why it seems as if servers/guilds/groups die when content is "old".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]