Single target rotation hits other enemies?!

88 Blood Elf Mage
Regardless of what spec you play every single target rotation hits other targets within 10 yards! All level 75 talents are the cause of this. When I am in a dungeon or raid this is going to suck. How will us mages not pull other targets, especially if we are cc'ing and being careful? Like right now I am a frost mage, I need to use one of these talents in my rotation to get my procs. I have to use these talents in my rotation or my DPS will suffer a lot. I will be breaking CC's and pulling unwanted mobs like a hunter or warlock with no control over there pet. Every spec uses one of these talents in there rotation for procs! I don't even have an option! Either not use it and watch my DPS suffer or say screw it and break CC's and pull mobs. Blizzard please fix this! I REALLY don't want to re-roll a new toon because of this!
Reply Quote
Would be nice if targets not in combat would you would not be effected by the bomb spells (very annoying with a lot of yellow mobs around).

For CC, just play smarter in positioning and move the mobs away from the CC ones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I don't think I've had a group that needed CC. Tank AoE is so ridiculous right now that most groups burn everything down.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
We don't really need to polymorph in dungeons anymore. That was a vanilla thing. But seriously, even then it was good practice to pull the mobs away from the cc'd target.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Mage
Awesome, I feel so much better hearing what Loismein and Crystalah said. I haven't been in any of the new dungeons yet so I just assumed there would be more cc'ing. Cool Beans!
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Mage
I totally agree about unintentionally pulling yellow mobs, that does get annoying!
Reply Quote
and red mobs.

I pull mobs and nothing else aggros, frost bomb goes off and everything is on my butt.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I assume those of you that are saying that CC is no longer necessary have not tried a challenge mode dungeon yet. In challenge mode CC is a must. It would defiantly be advantageous is mobs that are CC were not affected by our dots spreading.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I would agree that normal mode and even heroic mode dungeons are really easy. Our tank pulled an entire room in heroic scholomance and we just AOE them all to death and no one died. It was a real wake up call though when we attempted challenge mode Scarlet Halls and wiped 15 times in the first half of the dungeon. CC on challenge mode is a must. At least until we start getting raid geared.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Just noticed this from yesterday:
Nether Tempest no longer strikes targets the Mage is not already in combat with.

Sweet! We can now properly spec for a true SINGLE target rotation. :)

And I guess this means I'll stop killing critters all over the place, as well.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
10/01/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Nocternus
CC on challenge mode is a must. At least until we start getting raid geared.

I'm not sure that you understand how challenge modes work...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Vex
As of right now, you will need to CC some mobs in Raids.

For instance, the trash mobs on Gara'jal are pretty nasty and will need to be chain sheeped. I havent had much of an issue with AOE splash and I Raided as Fire last night.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Try leveling on a pvp realm when tensions are high already. My bombs often start work pvp battles. I dont even try to use frost orb due to who knows where and how far it will go! Unless i am aoe pulling then watch out!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
I, uh, may have prevented my raid from getting "With Open Arms (25 player)" because of the new splash damage on all my spells. :(

Sorry.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
This, so much. I wish they would have just boosted the damage on our "bolts" and left the bombs as strictly ranged AOE. I really do believe in the K.I.S.S. principle and could care less if my rotation is boring as long as it is effective.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
10/01/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Nocternus
CC on challenge mode is a must.

This pleases me. Still, the ranges on bombs are not very far. People haven't had to care about CC on trash in dungeons for years, behavior simply needs to change. Mages need to speak up or just do lower dps. Its called a 'pull' for a reason.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Mage
I still think there should be at least one spec that does not have splash damage... it's a pain in the !@#. Did they intentionally make ALL mage specs have splash damage? I wish they would fix this so bad. Look at a frost mages SINGLE target rotation... the first two spells (Frost Bomb and Frozen Orb) have splash damage!
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Omnidyne
Did they intentionally make ALL mage specs have splash damage? I wish they would fix this so bad. Look at a frost mages SINGLE target rotation... the first two spells (Frost Bomb and Frozen Orb) have splash damage!

Yes, they did. Nether Tempest also hits multiple targets, though now only targets you're in combat with. I wish the AoE abilities were only good for AoE. It would prevent splash damage problems and require more thought than "In combat, cast bomb"
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/04/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Sattyn
require more thought than "In combat, cast bomb"

But, but ... that's the problem! Handling open world mobs ALREADY requires more thought than 'in combat, cast bomb'. At least if you don't want to pull adds ...

Heaven forbid that you have to change up your rotation to fit the situation!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]