Tanking DPS

85 Draenei Shaman
Hey guys, so I was tanking several lower level dungeons with my lvl 35-37 Prot Warrior and I was doing more damage than the rest of my group combined, on average 50% or more. Is anyone else experiencing this or am I just getting bad dps in these low level dungeons. I do understand that at the level I am at and as Prot that I already have almost all of the tools for tanking, aside from shield barrier, and that when I swap over to arms I am lacking at least 2 more abilities/passives, possibly 3, to use in the normal rotation. Is this the same for most other classes and is this the reason for the subpar dps? Or is it just a learn 2 play issue? Thanks for any and all feedback.
Reply Quote
99 Pandaren Warrior
People are really bad.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Well, there are almost always 3 pats or more and I have Tclap and Revenge and Revenge does proc like crazy so, AOE right now I destroy dps. Single target I still think that I do because I have no free GCDs due to procs, devastate and Tclap not costing rage.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Its probably a mix, tanks do insane damage typically at lower levels. If a dps is playing near flawlessly then maybe they can compete or beat a tank but thats rare even at max level.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Tanks do a lot of damage in comparison to DPS classes until maybe late Wrath content. You'll probably beat most DPS leveling. It's not uncommon.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Thanks guys, just wanted some feedback. Did another run later last night and I had 59% of the total dmg done.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Yeah tanks in lowbies do insane dmg, they werent bad (unless there doing like 2% or something crazy..) you just do alot of dmg as a tank. Alts i've had with full heirlooms can still get outdpsed by tanks. Just depends.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
10/01/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Ðemolition
People are really bad.

I think this picture accurately sums it up:
http://i.imgur.com/nKdgE.jpg

tl;dr DPS are stupid.
Edited by Bbqsauce on 10/2/2012 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
It's not the dps issue. Dps has !@#$ aoe early on in the game, and the combination of tank aoe and vengeance is incredibly overpowered. Hell, even at 90 if i pull 3 groups+ in heroics I can get upwards of 100k ap from vengeance, and tear up the meters.
Reply Quote
68 Pandaren Monk
This lunatic has done some insane things so far at lower levels. I had a Razorfen Kraul run a day ago where I did 71% of the total dungeon damage. The issue is that players without BoAs, or players who are new, have no chance whatsoever of competing with a BoA tank's damage.

I have done >70% total damage on my DK while leveling through TBC dungeons many times as well.

I would like to say that it is very unkind to say that DPS are terrible when a lot of DPS in these low level dungeons are totally new to the game. Remember how rough it was when you started and cut them a little slack. There is so much to learn about this game, even before max level, that to expect anyone to "pull their weight" in a dungeon if they are inexperienced is just totally unreasonable.

I am a lifetime gamer and it took me a great deal of time to learn how to play this game efficiently, and like a good player. (not that I play this game a huge amount, relatively. I still have only raided 1 tier since it just takes too much time for me to raid.)
Reply Quote
People patting themselves on the back for being tanks are incorrect. It's not that dps are stupid, it's that you get your aoe tools early on, they get their later. th is is a function of your role, you have to aoe.

At around 80 it starts to even out, at 85 tanks do less damage than dps, and i suspeect at 90 it's as it should be.

Now, at 90, bad dps will do less than a tank regularly, but most of the time no, according to what i've seen and heard.

If there is not much difference now at 90, it will change as gear increases in ilevel. tanks will go one way with gear and dps will go another.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I have been doing a lot of healing, I rolled this toon so I could pound on stuff after work. Glowy hands and health bars were just not giving me what I needed. This toon is my first new tank since xpac.

I am averaging about 50% of the total damage in the instances. I have like 3 buttons to press. I am not playing super good or something. I have healed enough tanks to know I am not one of the great ones, honestly I would rate my tanking ability as acceptably competent.

I have hit the 70% total dps mark several times, and attributed it to poor or new players

Consistently doing over half the damage in the instance, that seems just a little high to me.

I am using a bone I picked up at level 13 as a weapon. I think I could use a wet noodle in these early instances and still top the dps chart.

Oho well, I rolled this guy to pound on stuff and it is working as advertised.
Reply Quote
- People have short memories or have never leveled a tank in the past few years... Lowbie tanks have been topping dps in dungeons since Wrath came out. Nothing new here ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]