I am absolutely dumbfounded...stupified..

90 Human Hunter
...that after all these years Blizzard still hasn't figured out a way to have scalable content in their game so that even at level 80, 85, 90, whatever the max level was at the time, you could still do the instances and raids in the game and they would scale to your level. What an absolute waste of content to spend all that time making it and then just let it fade away.

They should spend a year on figuring out how to scale it so all that content is available to us. That would be better than any expansion if you ask me.

Other games are figuring it out. Why can't Blizzard? Why WON'T Blizzard?
Edited by Cairiel on 9/28/2012 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
That's a stupid idea.

Go play GW2 , Leave my WoW Alone!
Edited by Denirö on 9/28/2012 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't think they want people staying on their older works.

Also, level scaling makes some games not so fun. While GW2 is a great game, I feel like I'm not progressing due to scaling content...
Edited by Agnorr on 9/28/2012 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/28/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Denirö
That's a stupid idea.
Reply Quote
82 Pandaren Monk
A better question would be is this what us players as a majority want? I agree that old expansion content is outstanding and fun but people are able to solo the content.

So really it comes down to if the majority wants it I'm sure they'll put implement it.
Edited by Eggshan on 9/28/2012 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Druid
I'd never thought about this before, and I think it's an excellent idea.
Back in Cata all I'd see was people doing the same raid over and over again.

I'm sure a lot of high-leveled people would love to be able to go back and do TBC raids or something.
Edited by Eumaadbruh on 9/28/2012 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Do you have any idea how fast players would burn out on raiding if they had to run every raid in the game every week to stay competitive for progress?

09/28/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Agnorr
Also, level scaling makes some games not so fun. While GW2 is a great game, I feel like I'm not progressing due to scaling content...

That too. I hated that in FFVIII. What was even the point of leveling up if everything was going to be relatively the same difficulty for me no matter what level I came at it as?
Edited by Sharkon on 9/28/2012 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
...that after all these years Blizzard still hasn't figured out a way to have scalable content in their game so that even at level 80, 85, 90, whatever the max level was at the time, you could still do the instances and raids in the game and they would scale to your level. What an absolute waste of content to spend all that time making it and then just let it fade away.

They should spend a year on figuring out how to scale it so all that content is available to us. That would be better than any expansion if you ask me.

Other games are figuring it out. Why can't Blizzard? Why WON'T Blizzard?

Gee, wonder what 'other games' you're referring to. Really, the GW2 sycophancy needs to end.

Scaling is a bad thing for plenty of players. Just because some small number like it is -not- a reason to subject the rest of us to that pointless excuse of a mechanism (unless it were completely and utterly voluntary and opt-IN...but of course, your 'other games' doesn't have -that-, now, does it).

Do you -really- want the Defias bandits to be a challenge when farming copper? I don't.
Reply Quote
At least on my server, it definitely hasn't faded away, especially in light of transmogrification.

And for me, there's something so satisfying about feeling powerful enough to be able to go through an entire RAID that you never had the chance to see, let alone clear, when it was current.

It's the same reason that whenever I'm in Duskwood on a high level, I still kill Mor'Ladim, despite the fact he's been nerfed. I died to him so. many. times in Vanilla. Revenge kills are infinitely sweet.

I'm not against scaling being made an OPTION, but please don't take the fun away from those of us who enjoy godmode. :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Oh god no. It's so hard to find people to do old stuff, if they had to know the fights and user their brains to accomplish them, we would never get them done. A few months ago, I had a wipe fest at Yogg-saron because people had no idea what to do. Can you imagine what would happen if we actually had to put an effort into that fight? I luv to do old content with a few friends too, so I hope Blizzard never changes this.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Character and item level scaling as you're referring to is tech that was actually added in Mists of Pandaria. This tech is what allows us to have a feature like Challenge Modes, in which we can scale your gear down to a specified level. The same is fairly easily applied to character levels.

Have we done everything we could possibly do with this tech? Absolutely not.

Do we want to throw it into everything we can just so players can run whatever they want at any level, without regard for a specific reward structure or progression system? Absolutely not.

As an example, we'd love to implement a feature where you could, say, at level 90 group up with a friend who's level 15 and run Deadmines together, and the dungeon difficulty for both of you would be relatively equivalent. But we're not going to do that before figuring out a proper system for rewarding both the high- and low-level players for their time.

We've also discussed the idea of allowing players to, for example, form a raid group of 10 players at level 90, enter Karazhan, and be scaled down to roughly level-70 character power.

This type of tech is great, but we can't throw it around arbitrarily just because we have it. We need to carefully consider ways it can be incorporated into a fun system that still feels rewarding in some regard.

It's safe to say the scaling in Challenge dungeons is just the beginning. (Another example on the horizon is Proving Grounds.) If these types of features are successful, and we see players calling for more scaling to allow them to run content without just zerging/overpowering it, we'll absolutely look at additional ways it can be applied -- what I said above should be more than a hint that we already are. ;)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
09/28/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Zarhym
This type of tech is great, but we can't throw it around arbitrarily just because we have it. We need to carefully consider ways it can be incorporated into a fun system that still feels rewarding in some regard.

Well, this is something that I am sure many would enjoy. So I vote yes to this idea. Please go ahead and see how it can be incorporated.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Character and item level scaling as you're referring to is tech that was actually added in Mists of Pandaria. This tech is what allows us to have a feature like Challenge Modes, in which we can scale your gear down to a specified level. The same is fairly easily applied to character levels.

Have we done everything we could possibly do with this tech? Absolutely not.

Do we want to throw it into everything we can just so players can run whatever they want at any level, without regard for a specific reward structure or progression system? Absolutely not.

As an example, we'd love to implement a feature where you could, say, at level 90 group up with a friend who's level 15 and run Deadmines together, and the dungeon difficulty for both of you would be relatively equivalent. But we're not going to do that before figuring out a proper system for rewarding both the high- and low-level players for their time.

We've also discussed the idea of allowing players to, for example, form a raid group of 10 players at level 90, enter Karazhan, and be scaled down to roughly level-70 character power.

It's safe to say the scaling in Challenge dungeons is just the beginning. (Another example on the horizon is Proving Grounds.) If these types of features are successful, and we see players calling for more scaling to allow them to run content without just zerging/overpowering it, we'll absolutely look at additional ways it can be applied -- what I said above should be more than a hint that we already are. ;)

Would that mean that if it were implemented, that we would no longer have access to the soloable raid content? Or would this be an option? Similar to Normal/Heroic modes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Thanks for your response, Zarhym. Those are exciting possibilities!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/28/2012 07:33 PMPosted by Zarhym
But we're not going to do that before figuring out a proper system for rewarding both the high- and low-level players for their time.

I'd be fine to do it as the high level character without rewards, just being able to play with friends or being able to re-live the old days with scaling raids would be reward enough.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

I think this would be a really great feature to implement, and would go a long way towards giving players more options at max level. It's sad to see content become obsolete when new content is added. Being able to run older raids like Black Temple, Ulduar, Icecrown, etc. would be very fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]