90 Blood Elf Priest
I log in,
get to the Character window.
Click on my character
Loading screen
gets to 90% waits a couple minutes.
Gets back to Character Window with Error
"Character not Found"

Tried this on two computers with same error.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm getting this error again....
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
First Restart to get rid of any errant Blizzard programs like Launcher , Agent , Background downloader etc etc

Then delete these folders :

* Cache folder in World of Warcraft folder
* Cache folder in the Data folder inside the World of Warcraft folder

Then open this folder :

Wow folder -> WTF -> Account -> Your_account_name -> your_realm_name -> main_toon_name

and delete the cache.md5 file.

Then open from the Launcher.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Not sure if this was the absolute fix.

I turned off all computers in my house and then unplugged my modem and my router and let them sit for about 1 minute.

I plugged them back in and let them reset and then went and turned my computer back on.

Ever since then I have not had a single problem with character not found.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
^^ This is good advice. This is basic troubleshooting, as this mainly indicates a timeout issue due to some networking connection issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't have a modem I can unplug, I did the MVP's advice and it didn't work..... I'm stuck again, this occurs when I'm zoning out of a dungeon and wow crashes on me. Then I can't log on to any of my toons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
So more updates,
I'm able to log onto my other account no problem, on my main account am I having issues on. HELP?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
another update, this occurs on all my computers that has wow.....
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I keep having the same issue with all my characters except new ones I create. I've tried every solution I can find online.
Edited by Finalprayer on 10/6/2012 4:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ive been reading tons of forums posts seeing as i have the same problem and no one has a solution. Blizzard just says to reset your modem and router and i have done this 400 times. its a fix for about 15 minutes then it happens again. Just wish someone would figure out a way to fix this.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Have you tried to reset your full UI and see if this works?

Reset the temp files
    1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft/
    2. Delete the Cache folder.
    3. Move Interface and WTF to the Desktop.
    4. Launch WoW.

I've only seen a few scatter reports here in the Mac forums, so it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Try leaving the modem/router turned off for 5 minutes and see if it makes a difference. Not sure that it makes any difference but try turning off all computers in your house before doing any of this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
im having this issue to, both the ideas from the mvp, nd gm didnt work:/ any other solutions
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Alright this is starting to get on my nerves, First of all-- why when I log in, It says Connecting and it takes forever? Then second time I try to log in it stays at Success then brings me to a server list and takes like forever to get me into game? Then in another phase, it tells me my character is not found?!
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
i am also having the same issue ... i have deleted the wtf-interface and cache files ... i also have reset the modem/router and i also went the the extreme of reloading windows with a fresh install of wow ... so its not anyone's computers it the actual servers themselves and i am not on a mac system
Edited by Doomrider on 12/26/2012 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Not many of you have the option to do this, but it is related to your modem/router in most cases. I had the advantage of going to my mates place for a few days, never got this problem once. Back home and it's back again.

If it's not directly the modem/router, it might be what you're doing. I have house mates that are constantly d/ling stuff through torrents where as my friend doesn't have anything like that. So it might be the amount of connections that are established through torrents causing timeouts.

Again these are just guesses.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I have been having the exact same issue as the OP for the last few months now. I did all the basic trouble shooting mentioned above, including removing my interface and wtf folders. I also deleted and downloaded WoW from scratch, reformatted, got my ISP to replace my router, and am using a lower ping service.... and this issue still has cropped up after each and every thing I've done to try and fix it.

I have exhausted every possibility I know of from my end. If there's any more information that might be pertinent please let me know because it has been extremely frustrating dealing with this for several months now
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
^^ This is good advice. This is basic troubleshooting, as this mainly indicates a timeout issue due to some networking connection issue.

Gee, that's funny. My network connected perfectly before blizzard did its patches and hot fixes.

I think my ISP must be monitoring you, so they can shut down relays whenever you at blizzard apply any kind of file updates. Yeah, that must be it!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Try unchecking the "optimize for network speed" box in your networking options from the game menu. After everything else, if that doesn't work.. YOUR ISP must be monitoring blizzard and shutting down relays when blizzard applies new game files too! Yeah, that HAS to be the problem!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]