Switched from prot to bear: impressions

90 Tauren Druid
I've spent the past 3 years tanking on my prot warrior. I really enjoy the tanking role and one of the things I liked most about the warrior was they seemed to have an answer for pretty much every scenario. This time around I switched to bear for a change of pace. Granted I'm still learning, and I'm still leveling too, but here's my initial thoughts:

Cons:

- I've lost so much mobility I could cry. That was really a hard adjustment. Leap, charge, intervene...I could be anywhere & everywhere on the warrior. On my bear that is sorely, sorely missed. Especially when I didn't talent into wild charge, opting for feline swiftness instead.

- Interrupts and caster lockdown. I fear for my raiding future. I previously had pummel, heroic throw, charge, conc blow, and shockwave to interrupts casts, as well as warstomp. If a cast managed to slip past those methods, I still had intimidating shout, and if THAT still wasn't enough, I could spell reflect. It was glorious! But the bear's toolkit seems much more limited. Skull bash, mighty bash, warstomp, and FFF (if glyphed, which mine isn't).

- The rotation, to this point, was so much more fun on the warrior. Now granted I've not yet tried the MoP warrior rotation, but comparing MoP bear to cata warrior, the bear quite frankly is rather dull. In low damage situations I cycle through four abilities in which every other one is lacerate, occasionally tossing in a free mangle proc or periodically keeping savage defense up.

- Aoe tanking. Swipe and thrash... thats all I get? Really? After having thunderclap, revenge, cleave and shockwave? Not to mention a non-cooldown threat ability (devastate) I could tab through while waiting for cooldowns. Surely I'm missing something here, right? I freely admit I'm still a bear novice, have I just completely overlooked an aoe tanking ability somewhere? And what o AoE taunts, does bear not have one of those either? Who do I need to have dirty relations with to score something as sexy as the warrior's mocking banner?

- Mastery. Block & crit block seemed much more interesting than extra armor. Not to say that armor isn't more effective, but still.

Pros:

- Well, I've got 4 billion hp now.

- Certainly have a clear edge in armor.

- I do like that I'm actually contributing dps now. That much is certainly an advantage to the bear.

- Cooldowns galore. I like having so many. Now I just need more experience to learn how to properly manage all of them. I enjoy learning mechanics like that, its fun.

Other observations:

Is it because I'm still learning bear rotations, or is there something screwy going on with threat? Thus far I cannot hold threat over warlock & hunter pets to save my life, and holding aoe aggro against fury warriors and mages has been disproportionately challenging.

It was great when the only class I had to roll against for gear were DK tanks and (depending on the item) prot pallies. Now the line of toons waiting to take my gear is longer than the checkout line at wal-mart. :(
Edited by Intangyr on 10/2/2012 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree that warriors are more fun than druids when it comes to tanking.

But here are a few additional things worth knowing:

1) Use mangle when AoE tanking, in addition to using trash and swipe. To go through a dungeon faster, use Berserk on trash pulls, and spam mangle, thereby hitting multiple targets with mangle and doing insane DPS as a tank. If you're taking very little damage, and you should be in normal dungeons with the exception of a few bosses hitting pretty hard, you should be dumping your rage into Maul.

2) If pets are pulling aggro off you, this is due to the fact that the pets are taunting off you. Notice that no matter how much TPS you produce (or for that matter damage), pets can simply taunt and retake your aggro. You can either request that the hunter/warlock disable their pet taunt for the duration of the dungeon or simply allow the pet to tank an add, and if it dies, then so be it. I usually allow the latter to happen, as normal dungeon are easy.

3) For additional AoE threat generation, you can use symbiosis on a Paladin/Shaman for consecration/lightning orbs.

4) As for CD management, it helps if you get an add-on to monitor all your CDs. And as you've pointed out, this is one of the things that makes druid tanking more interesting, where it otherwise it would be quite boring. I find that trying to do as much damage as possible in dungeons, once my survivability becomes a non-issue, makes tanking more fun.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Don't forget mighty bash, bear hug and typhoon for interrupts although interrupting was never something I really needed to do in DS. I always thought interrupting was more of a dungeon thing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
10/02/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Druimeister
Don't forget mighty bash, bear hug and typhoon for interrupts although interrupting was never something I really needed to do in DS. I always thought interrupting was more of a dungeon thing.
You're right, I did forget bear hug. Thanks. Mighty bash I mistakenly referred to as might of ursoc, which has been corrected. And I never specc'ed into typhoon, which is probably why I overlooked that one. I appreciate the pointers and feedback though. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Another thought: don't forget stampeding roar. I rarely used it before the patch when I had charge but now that I've opted for the overall speed boost I find myself using it whenever I need to get from one side of the room to another in a hurry. It's also good when a boss drops bad right on top of you and your group so everyone can get out much faster.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

3) For additional AoE threat generation, you can use symbiosis on a Paladin/Shaman for consecration/lightning orbs.

Consecration? Gross.

Does it look like the bear just peed everywhere?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
They changed warrior rotation a lot. They decreased the number of stuns and interupts they have. But even with that warriors have way more stuns and interupts than druids do.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/02/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Crowingzero
Does it look like the bear just peed everywhere?

After cracking open a glow stick and drinking the liquid inside.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You could always use symbiosis on a warrior to get spell reflect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]