Selling in the AH...

82 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hello. The past few weeks I've been concentrating on making money with my characters. The way I've been doing it is looking up what leathers and ores are selling for the most gold in the AH then going and farming some for a few hours and selling it. I've been having a terrible time selling anything the past 2 weeks though! I'm pricing my things a gold or two under the current cheapest price and I'm having no luck at all. I'm frustrated because this has never really happened before...I'd always sell most if not all my stuff I farm but I haven't been able to sell any of it lately. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the recent expansion...that people are busy in Pandaria and not buying things...it's the only reason I could come up with...does anyone have any suggestions? I'm even open to other suggestions for making gold too. Thanks. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/28/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Iythika
I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the recent expansion...that people are busy in Pandaria and not buying things...it's the only reason I could come up with...does anyone have any suggestions? I'm even open to other suggestions for making gold too. Thanks. :)

There's a lot of monks and pandas leveling right now, so it's not likely that they're all in Pandaria and aren't leveling their professions. Also when people get to level 90 they'll need lower level crafting materials to power-level their crafting professions to get ready for raiding.

What's likely happening is that you are getting undercut. You post something below the currently lowest price, someone else posts below you, someone else posts below them, etc. Until players start snatching things up, then more gets listed and your listings never see the bottom of the pricing and expire.

It's easy to get into a cycle where you list a ton of items at the same time every day. It's possible that everyone else is too, and you're just happening to fall into a time where you quickly get buried by everyone else who lists shortly after you do.
Edited by Avanna on 9/28/2012 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's also that most people are focused on leveling 85-90 or leveling teeny tiny baby pandas or monks right now, and aren't really thinking about power-leveling a profession using low level profession materials right now. (They're either focused on Pandaria materials or are doing their own gathering on their baby toon, or aren't worrying about professions until they get to a higher level.) Once people's mains are more settled at 90 or the monks and pandas get a higher level, you'll probably start to see your old market bounce back a little, although like Avanna said, it's possible, with more players coming back with the new expansion, you're running into an undercutter that wasn't around until recently.

What professions do you have available to you? Do you just gather/farm, or do you have any crafting professions, and at what skill level?
Reply Quote
09/28/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Honorata
What professions do you have available to you? Do you just gather/farm, or do you have any crafting professions, and at what skill level?

Hmmm...I see, I see.
Well the professions I have going are skinning (lvl 426), mining (lvl 295), and enchanting (lvl 271).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Focus on the mining and skinning for professions and your big money makers (sell it all on the AH). If you have no second primary profession on your miner, go with herbalism as a 3rd money maker, it won't take you long to level it up to wherever your mining character is questing.

Still level your enchanting, but only as you get materials from disenchanting drops with funky stats and out-leveled quest rewards. Don't go blowing thousands of gold on the AH to level it until you are high enough that thousands of gold is easily recoverable.
Edited by Avanna on 9/29/2012 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Another thing you might look into doing is doing what are called "disenchanting scans" of the auction house. Many auctioneering add-ons like Auctioneer have the ability to guess what an item will disenchant into, and will compare what the materials are to the amount an item is selling for on the AH. That is, it will tell you what you can buy on the AH, disenchant, and then sell the enchanting materials you got from disenchanting the item at a profit. This generally only works if you already have enough gold to buy a few items on the AH to DE, and you need to be pretty familiar with your server's AH and how much materials usually sell for. But that's another option for something you might look into doing with professions to make gold. I would say the gold I make with enchanting I usually make through disenchanting stuff at a profit. (I don't run disenchant scans, I just know what DEs to what and eyeball prices because I am not a scientific person.)

edit I also want to specify if you do look into using an add-on like auctioneer or auctionator, give it several weeks worth of AH scans before you start trusting its judgment on prices. AH prices fluctuate a lot, particularly during the beginning of an expansion when everything gets really expensive, and its best not to trust a couple days worth of scans, particularly if you don't have a lot of capital to begin with.
Edited by Honorata on 9/30/2012 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
OP< with the transition into MoP, people are not yet leveling professions or crafting heavily. the economy is very volatile at the moment.

give it time to stabilize.

now its a great time to flip items - if you know what risks to take - or to stockpile.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]