whoever thought of no flight til 90 in mop...

100 Blood Elf Priest
10/01/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Ghostwàlker
Quests are always the same hack n slash or gathering stuff, however I did enjoy being a sniper.

What? You didn't like the one where you squash bookworms with your feet?? There have been so many different types of quests this time around (and I'm just done with 3 zones so far). The little "push-things" hand icon has been used to great effect in this xpac. Of course there's still a lot of kill XX of XX and go get 10 of something lying right there on the ground (git it yourself you lazy pandaman!) but that's our RPG comfort food, no?
100 Undead Mage
I been playing this game for 8 years. Im getting old and set in my ways at this point. You could have gave older players like me an option for flying. To be honest, Im not going to lie, I somewhat agree with the OP, this is the most frustrating part of the game. Falling off a cliff, or yet another mountain to go around that's as long as the map if not longer. I just want to get stuff done to get to challenge modes and raiding. Do I care I am a minority in this game? Not really. Will anything be done? Its too late and once the minds at the table are set, nothing is going to change their views. I hate not flying. I been through this many times before. I hate doing it again.

Outside that really, I love the expansion. Things are fun. Quests are always the same hack n slash or gathering stuff, however I did enjoy being a sniper. The new systems are fun. I just LOATHE being restricted to the ground.

#RewardsForVetPlayers

Yeah thats my rant...

http://i46.tinypic.com/71odgz.jpg

The first two lines in the quest text... screenshoted since I knew it was going to come in handy at some point... and probably didn't read this because everything has to be done in a rush hm?.

I have absolutely no sense of direction so when I have to navigate pandaria by myself, what an average player can do in 30 minutes it takes me usually 1 hour or more (I'm so glad I'm mostly leveling with my bf who actually has a sense of direction...). Do I hate not being able to fly? Nope, I love it and even in azeroth I mostly use my ground mounts. I play since 2008 and while some things are repetitive I like to have again that "wide eyed noob" feeling and wander around, taking my time to read quests, enjoy the story... because, imo, this is a game, something you do for fun... why rush the fun?

Also P.S.: Sorry but playing for 8 years doesn't make you any special...
Edited by Midare on 10/1/2012 2:27 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Paladin
10/01/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Vixie
Quests are always the same hack n slash or gathering stuff, however I did enjoy being a sniper.

What? You didn't like the one where you squash bookworms with your feet?? There have been so many different types of quests this time around (and I'm just done with 3 zones so far). The little "push-things" hand icon has been used to great effect in this xpac. Of course there's still a lot of kill XX of XX and go get 10 of something lying right there on the ground (git it yourself you lazy pandaman!) but that's our RPG comfort food, no?

The first couple zones, yes. Townlong Steppes and Dread Wastes are grind fests, it was awful trying to quest there on a ground mount.
Isn't it our own fault if we are given flying but choose to fly? We ALL have the option to use ground mounts and run around. If people want to enjoy the world, then people will. IMO I know I would use the flying if I had the option, but after that I know I would(still use flying) to run around on the ground. That way I could escape from the annoying mobs and get over stupid tree stumps when needed.

The only problem I have with enjoying the land, is it's hard to enjoy it when mobs are constantly spawning and attacking you. I would personally love to walk around the forests but I aggro so many mobs its insane. I have no time to sit and just look around the area.
90 Orc Shaman
I love it. Cataclysm was the only expansion you weren't restricted to ground mounts at the start for (which made sense), and I honestly missed it. Being on ground-level and experiencing the layout, the roads, feeling more connected to the area you're in, seeing something amazing and wondrous appear slowly over the horizon as you ride up... I really enjoyed Wrath a lot, but I've not been this enamored with a sense of 'world' since BC.

I get that it's different for everyone, but for me games are experiences. Flying is certainly convenient, but you do lose something by just immediately being able to bypass the rules and confines of the world by zipping around wherever you like. I like that it's an earned privilege, and I have not minded a single second of my earning it.

I agree with this 100%. Infact if flying went away completely I would be happeir.

I made a post earlier about how the game is 100% more amazing from the ground, and that everyone should try it.

I also suggest that blizzard should add a nice incentive for using the ground mount, like giving each ground mount its own set of abilities only usuable in the world.

I ride the Magic Rooster mount and I think these would be cool abilities to have for this specific mount.

When you jump it jumps higher by fluttering its wings really fast.

If you dismount the ground mount will follow you around, and you just have to click on it to ride it again instead of casting it.

There's plenty of ideas I can come up with. I'll post them as they come to me :)

You can feed it, and it will eventually lay a magical egg that you can carry in your bags. The egg will eventually hatch out a pet, or a random vanity item.
100 Night Elf Rogue

The proper scope in Icecrown and Storm Peaks is from the air since you basically need a flying mount. There's also a bunch of areas that's only accessible with a flying mount.

You have to be on the ground to actually do anything. If you just wanted scenery then you are free to trot along all day if you like.

Which is why after a while when you level up to a point where flying is relative to the gameplay, they let you fly. I don't see the problem.

Same thing in BC....

Once again, it comes down to laziness. As another poster mentioned, we like convenience, and if its made easy for us, we choose it. Sometimes being forced to admire the scenery for a few levels is worth it.

And don't think for a second that I'm not including myself as one of they lazy ones. I've played this game since day 1, 8 years ago, and all the flying/map indicators/etc has really made me soft. I'm excited to go home tonight and ride my trusty steed around exploring the new content.
93 Human Paladin
who ever thought it was a good idea needs to quit, i have never played wow angryly in my life til mop. questing is slow as hell when you are FORCED to use 100% mounts vs 280 or 310...... i find myself sitting in sw just dungeon queing atm cause of how bad the travel time is. nerf the xp needed or give us flying at 85

this is fun? what are you smoking bliz??? id like some of that

enjoy the scenery or pay someone who is level 90 to fly you around.
100 Undead Warrior
I find the lack of flight laughable in that it really didnt really encourage me to explore. Go to quest hub, pick up quests, find breadcrumb to next quest hub, make a beeline there, pick up quests, ad nauseum. All in all, I bet one can easily get to level 90 and get most, if not all, thier desired faction rep and farmables by "exploring" less than 15% of Pandaria's total playable area (not what the minimap reveals - I mean what you can actually put your feet on). Flying over scenery may not be true exploring, but neither is running along a defined path really, regardless if that path is defined by model geometry, or by third party guides. Want people to explore? Randomize your farming nodes better, then it doesnt matter if they fly or run, they will go all over the map.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I really liked the no flying. I actually felt like I was interacting with the terrain.

Now I've hit 90, the landscape doesn't matter in the slightest to me because I just go straight over it & ignore all its content unless it's one of the limited number of areas I'm doing specific activities in.

It really strengthened my wish that there was no flying in this game, unfortunately that genie is out of the bottle & I don't see it being practical to put back in.

Possibly if slowfall was made more prevalent, and significant numbers of air hazards were brought in. People could still safely travel via FP, but travelling via air had some high danger zones you'd probably want to go around, so there are incentives to both modes of travel.

Not sure how well that'd work really tho.
90 Draenei Shaman
10/01/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Vastarien
It's amazing how much bigger and connected the world feels without flying mounts. Great change, imo.

I'll agree here. While I do love my flying, I'm having so much fun exploring Pandaria at ground level. Finding paths to get up mountainsides, dashing through fields full of mobs hell bent for leather trying to avoid aggroing too many of them on my way to someplace else, enjoying that epic sense of travel that gets lost in the haste of flight...

It's making things amazing for me.
100 Orc Warrior
I been playing this game for 8 years. Im getting old and set in my ways at this point. You could have gave older players like me an option for flying. To be honest, Im not going to lie, I somewhat agree with the OP, this is the most frustrating part of the game. Falling off a cliff, or yet another mountain to go around that's as long as the map if not longer. I just want to get stuff done to get to challenge modes and raiding. Do I care I am a minority in this game? Not really. Will anything be done? Its too late and once the minds at the table are set, nothing is going to change their views. I hate not flying. I been through this many times before. I hate doing it again.

Outside that really, I love the expansion. Things are fun. Quests are always the same hack n slash or gathering stuff, however I did enjoy being a sniper. The new systems are fun. I just LOATHE being restricted to the ground.

#RewardsForVetPlayers

Yeah thats my rant...

I've been playing since the Vanilla open beta, and I really like not being able to fly from 85-90. I feel more involved in the game. For me, it's more fun to explore and learn the layout of a zone, to have to figure out the best way to approach an objective than to just fly over and ignore it. It's a matter of personal preference. Your "#RewardForVetPlayers" was older accounts getting first access to the MoP beta.

Now, as to the point somewhere in the thread about alts, I can relate a little more. Once you've seen the content and done the storylines, it's less interesting to be grounded. But they'll almost certainly add a way for alts to fly sooner in the future, and there's no shortage of stuff to do at the level cap now. It really doesn't bother me to wait.
100 Night Elf Rogue

You didn't pay any dues. The hardest part of everything you talked about, was grinding primals and playing the AH to get 5000 gold for epic flying. You got given it.

Level 1 forum troll, opinion is invalid.

Well, he made an excellent point and I agree with him as a lvl 85 non-troll. Validity reinstated. [STAMP]
I don't think there should be flying in Pandaria, period. You have ground mounts, use 'em.
90 Orc Death Knight
I actually like it it forces you to look around
100 Human Death Knight
This last week in World of Warcraft levelling to 90 was the most fun I've had in World of Warcraft's actual world since long before Cataclysm. That I couldn't fly over every wall, especially that wall, made the world huge. This is the first time I was sad to gain flying skill again. With flight paths, I wouldn't have minded foregoing flying altogether.

Old kung-fu epics, an image Pandaria effectively pulls off, worked because no one could get to where they were going as fast as they wanted. It is a WORLD of Warcraft. Not a Dungeons of Warcraft, and for the first time since Cataclysm started it actually feels like that again.
100 Night Elf Rogue
10/01/2012 02:28 PMPosted by Necronom
I find the lack of flight laughable in that it really didnt really encourage me to explore. Go to quest hub, pick up quests, find breadcrumb to next quest hub, make a beeline there, pick up quests, ad nauseum. All in all, I bet one can easily get to level 90 and get most, if not all, thier desired faction rep and farmables by "exploring" less than 15% of Pandaria's total playable area (not what the minimap reveals - I mean what you can actually put your feet on). Flying over scenery may not be true exploring, but neither is running along a defined path really, regardless if that path is defined by model geometry, or by third party guides. Want people to explore? Randomize your farming nodes better, then it doesnt matter if they fly or run, they will go all over the map.

Part of the blame in the situation you describe is map markers and tracking. Combined with flying, being pointed in a straight line to your next quest objective effectively killed any form of open world exploration. At least without flying you get to explore more than the tops of trees.
100 Night Elf Priest
Don't take this as a complaint per se, I don't expect to like everything in a large game system such as this. But no, I don't like being grounded, I'm NOT seeing or remembering more of the scenery, and I kill mobs slow enough as disc (though I'm essentially un-killable) already to win the award for the panderan motto "slow down".

Its not really a big deal, even playing just a few hours at a time, I'll be max level and heroic geared by the time raids are released, healer queues being quick, and my bank&patience for wiping being nearly limitless. So being forced to ride my Swift Frostsaber around for 50 or so game-hours while leveling is only a modest inconvenience and will be quickly forgotten as I once again plot to take market share away from other AH competitors and make a mess of others' attempts to dominate the jewel trade; all the while keeping my foolhardy comrades from dieing as they poke tiny swords at giganinormous monsters.
90 Worgen Druid
Moar pewpew less QQ
100 Gnome Warlock
10/01/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Ninja
At least without flying you get to explore more than the tops of trees.

Instead of the tops we get to explore their trunks, because that's somehow better.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]