Pandaran Leatherworking/Skinning

90 Night Elf Hunter
WTH Blizzard?!

How the heck is a hunter or shaman supposed to make gear for themselves. I've gotten my Leatherworking up to 600 but only by making leather not chainmail I could actually use.

The reason is simple, I can't get materials to make chainmail. I've literally gotten hundreds of pieces of exotic leather getting to level 89. I've dozens of pieces to of leather armor but I've only got enough prismatic scales to make 7 pieces of Chainmail. I don't dare waste it making chainmail because its so much harder to get materials and the enchant on the, much harder to make chainmail, is still random.

Is the server population 5 or 6 to 1 druids and rogues to shaman and hunters? Then why the artificial difficulty for shamans and hunters? Previous chainmail gear required some leather and some scales. This time out is ALL scales.

Please fix this.
Edited by Quillanthos on 10/1/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I don't have a skinner, but I heard the drop rate was 50/50, likely dependent on the mobs. Rather then continue to farm tigers, elk, and yaks, why not look for more repltilian prey like turtles and giant freakin snakes.

As for LW, buy what you need off of the AH. Don't be so dependent on farming it yourself. Considering most of what you make is random stats anyway, just buy what you need off of the AH from the other crafters.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
If you have skinning head over to the island where you do the cloud serpent dailys (once you reach 90 that is). The shore has little and big turtles... saltback I believe is what they're called. They have had a much higher drop rate of prismatic scales than other areas I've farmed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
If you heard 50/50 you heard wrong period. The drop rate is something like 7-1 or even 8-1, prismatic scales are hard to find in quantity.

My problem is that with LW crafting, the blue 450 PVP Set costs 12-20 pieces of Exotic Leather for all leather pieces and 12-20 Prismatic Scales for all Mail pieces. At the end of the day, when you know Prismatic Scales are less ordinary than Exotic Leather, why is the cost of the crafting mats getting higher.

The one thing i'm happy about is the equality on the crafting mats when you unlock Golden Lotus plans at Honored. It makes a lot more sense and i'm hoping this profession stays that course.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Its always been that way since anyone can remember playing WOW .Low level players are having that same problem of gathering crafting materials to make leather armor just to level and get up to speed of leveling at the same time find it frustrating leveling Leather working.
Edited by Kuteness on 10/2/2012 10:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
<Leatherworker since Vanilla. Take it from me, we always get hosed in some way. This time it's just using their least favorite profession to give a little more hate to their least favorite class. Hunters just got caught in the crossfire.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Least favorite class - you mean warlocks, right?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
10/02/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Kuteness
Its always been that way since anyone can remember playing WOW .Low level players are having that same problem of gathering crafting materials to make leather armor just to level and get up to speed of leveling at the same time find it frustrating leveling Leather working.

Every time I've tried to level leatherworking I run into the heavy leather wall. There is enough light and medium to buy and farm as you level but heavy is the wall. You have to farm it because there isn't even enough to buy at 100G/stack, if there is any to buy at all. And leather is a pain to farm. You have to loot the mobs, then skin the mobs and I don't even loot mobs while leveling alts unless the quest requires it. Conversely, there is so much ore and herbs that even if you have to farm it, it goes fast.

But, then, there is also the rugged leather wall, the knothide (heavy) wall and the blue TBC mat wall that I forget the name of. Northrend has a lot of skinnables clumped together so that doesn't look so bad and I have no idea in regards to cataclysm.

This is a ton of work, then, finally, you get to Pandaria and you need spirit shards to get recipes.

And, finally, you have to try and sell stuff that can also be farmed in a weekend of AV or some other source. Although I guess people make money at max with leatherworking so maybe this isn't an issue.
Edited by Dyingquail on 10/3/2012 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ OP there is an area in valley of the four winds a little lake with alot of turtles i found that when i killed them all 15-20 turtles i got about 4 pris scales i think it was by the pools of purity
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
10/03/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Dyingquail
This is a ton of work, then, finally, you get to Pandaria and you need spirit shards to get recipes.

Leveling leatherworking 525-600 is cake. I leveled leatherworking and skinning on an alt last night for the guild achievement, and it took me about three hours of farming and 600g (it was late, and I stopped farming after getting skinning to 600, so I had to buy six stacks of leather at 100g each), which I promptly made back on just one pair of contender's leather legs.
Reply Quote
91 Human Paladin
10/03/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Sintury

This is Mists of Pandaria. If you think Warlocks have any claim on that title at the moment, you are either willfully ignorant or clinically insane.

I was with you in Wrath and Cata, though.
Reply Quote
Turtles are your best bet, but the droprate is still fairly low. My shaman has this problem too. I wanted to buy a set of crafted pvp gear, but nobody is selling it while the there are hundreds of leather pieces on AH.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't have a skinner, but I heard the drop rate was 50/50, likely dependent on the mobs. Rather then continue to farm tigers, elk, and yaks, why not look for more repltilian prey like turtles and giant freakin snakes.

As for LW, buy what you need off of the AH. Don't be so dependent on farming it yourself. Considering most of what you make is random stats anyway, just buy what you need off of the AH from the other crafters.

Ha, not even close. The turtles and Crocs and snakes, and other types that drop scales, drop more leather than scales.

If these types of beasts dropped scales 100% and the others leather, then it would be 50/50.

As it stands, the scales drop rate is just way too low to justify using them on random enchants.

Getting to 600 LW is not the issue Keeblik, it's the need for scales to make mail armor types. They're just very rare.

Anyone notice that the LW trainer on Pandaria is at the Gummie Bazar, NO FP there... yes i know, One Keg is close.... but the other trainers are at locations with Flight Paths .... sheesh... oh well I guess we've always been second class citizens of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
10/03/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Sintury

Warlocks are simply the anti-FotM class that Blizzard dislikes. Shaman, specifically enhancement shaman, are the red-headed step-children of warcraft. They are so abused, that new spell icons for abilities are sacred buffs while the Warlock class is completely redesigned. Rogues were given legendary weapons in DS while shaman had to kill DW himself for an upgraded weapon. Meanwhile, everyother boss in DS seemed to drop weapons only usable by rogues.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
As a max LW and Skinner, I'm to the point I don't bother skinning anymore. It's rather frustrating when I need scales and nothing but leather comes up.

It would be much simplier if Blizz used a flat base percentage between leather and scales based on the mob type.

* Mammals - 75% leather and 25% scales
* Reptilians -75% scales and 25% leather

You can then farm what you need without stressing over a low rate.

Don't even get me started on Hides...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I have my LW at 600...but im hiting a wall at 585....i skin turtles and lizards ,have collected mybe 600+ skins and scales yet i can not get it to 586....im perplexed...i just need 10 points as ill get 5 from dmf

any idea?

ty vm
Edited by Toebite on 10/9/2012 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I have made more spirits of harmony than I have mail LW pieces.

That's just pitiful.
Reply Quote
Farm the mushan in Valley of the Four Winds. They will drop scales often, and usually drop additional leathers and scraps, too. At this point in time (being the expansion is still in it's early stages), it's a good idea to cruise around the zone and pick up any skins other players leave behind. Most player aren't skinners so you'll get a lot of free stacks at peak times.

To simply level leatherworking, just make the leather gear. Save mail pieces for items you'll equip yourself. When you hit lvl 565, do the quest that opens up the Vale of Eternal Blossoms zone. From there, all you need to do is buy one recipe for one spirit of harmony, and that will get you to 600 quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Are there any vendors to buy 525-600 patterns from other than the PVP contenders patterns from Tanner Pang?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]