Invocation seem counter-intuitive,or is it me

90 Undead Mage
It is awkward to say the least, when not to invocate... It is frusterating because all I feel like I am doing is spamming it. Wouldn't be so bad if it was on a 2min timer. Sorry for the QQ I just needed to vent :(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
You're definitely not alone.

The damage buff makes it mandatory, yet it's so painfully boring, un-fun, and tedious spending every 35-40 seconds not doing anything for 5-10 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Yeah, it is like the devs only theory crafted on this one and didn't try it themselves.. or decided to start hating mages.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Oh, quit whining... for certain specs, Invocation is the best choice... Do I agree that it is tedious? A bit, yes, but no more than having to set up a rune that then tethers you and makes you immobal. If you want an easy talent that takes no thought or effort take Incanters shield and just dont use it. Will it be sub-par most of the time? Yes. Will you have to think about it in most situations? No. If you don't use it, there is no set up or thought involved, and you just get your passive free damage buff, since that is clearly what you want.

When you want to play competetively and pull your best dps, stop being lazy and figure out how to best use our 90 talents in a way that takes some forethought and effort.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
10/02/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Raven
Oh, quit whining

You are right, everyone should just accept whatever Blizzard does and keep paying them money for it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/02/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Incendium
Oh, quit whining

You are right, everyone should just accept whatever Blizzard does and keep paying them money for it.

Of course! All hail blizard! /eyeroll

But no, our 90 talents are not that bad comparatively... Have you LOOKED at DK 90 talents? At least ours are useful when used correctly.
Reply Quote
have you seen dks dps? i get out dps'd by the tank..the 90 talents for a mage are terrible.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Oh, quit whining... for certain specs, Invocation is the best choice... Do I agree that it is tedious? A bit, yes, but no more than having to set up a rune that then tethers you and makes you immobal. If you want an easy talent that takes no thought or effort take Incanters shield and just dont use it. Will it be sub-par most of the time? Yes. Will you have to think about it in most situations? No. If you don't use it, there is no set up or thought involved, and you just get your passive free damage buff, since that is clearly what you want.

When you want to play competetively and pull your best dps, stop being lazy and figure out how to best use our 90 talents in a way that takes some forethought and effort.

Optimal and fun can be simultaneous. Blizzard should honor this request, in fact we shouldn't even have to ask, it should be their standard.

Maybe I'd use these boring talents more optimally than you bro, but I'd hate it the whole time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Optimal and fun can be simultaneous. Blizzard should honor this request, in fact we shouldn't even have to ask, it should be their standard.

Maybe I'd use these boring talents more optimally than you bro, but I'd hate it the whole time.

Fair enough. I do agree that we could have more variety on what role our 90 talents fill. All of ours are mana and dmg related. On that note, I think they could have done something with the mana gem in the 90 talent tier. Maybe something like fusing Evocation and the Mana Gem to make an instant cast innervation like version of evocation or something. How they would tie damage to that, while still being balanced with the other talents of that tier, I have not a clue, but it would be "cool".

Another Idea I have had, which is actually heavily based in my idea for a new Blood Elf PVE racial we so sorely need, would be something like:

Mana Charge: Your spells and abilities have a change to deal additional Arcane damage and generate a Mana Charge. Maximum of X Charges.
Mana Surge: This spell consumes all Mana Charges, instantly restoring X% mana per charge and increasing spell damage by X% per charge for X seconds. Replaces Evocation.

Or

Explosive/Burning Mana: Any time you use an ability that costs Mana, your mana spent explodes/Burns the target, dealing X Arcane/Fire Damage per Mana consumed.
Note: While at first this seems insanely OP for arcane, notice that it has NO regen mechanic in it. You would go OOM faster than anything, making this completely unviable as arcane, since you would have to rely on evocation and mana gems alone.

Or another version of it:

Explosive/Burning Mana: When you use a spell or ability that costs Mana, you have an X% chance to deal X additional Arcane/Fire damage (per mana spent?), and (restoring X% of your total Mana / restoring X% of the mana spent in the spell that procced it / Increases your MP5 by X% for X seconds).
Note: This version would not be a 100% proc, and the damage might not be based off of your mana spent, but possibly a static affected by spellpower. I am unsure what would be balanced in this case, but it would give you some type of mana regen mechanic.

I assume you mean things like that, things that do not take much effort on the players part, and simplify our lives, while being a "cool" mechanic, since it is something we have never really had before. I would absolutely adore anything like what I posted above, but it's not likely to happen... I have tons of ideas about this kind of thing, don't get me wrong, but what i mean't is that out of all 90 talents, we are not in that bad of a place right now... Lack of "fun" aside.
Edited by Raven on 10/2/2012 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
10/02/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Raven
I have tons of ideas about this kind of thing, don't get me wrong, but what i mean't is that out of all 90 talents, we are not in that bad of a place right now... Lack of "fun" aside.

You should apply for a job at Blizzard.

But seriously, it doesn't matter how much damage you do, if it isn't fun it isn't fun, and ultimately that is what the game is about.

People have every right to whine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]