Careful who knows your name or bnet email

(Locked)

1 Gnome Rogue
I just wanted to post this as a warning for anyone who may care.

Many of you know about the whole situation where mounts were being abused through trading between friend or even selling in some cases.
This happened when the pre MoP made mounts account wide back at the start of September.

What people were doing was sending characters back and forth between accounts with the same last name.
This meant family members could exchange mounts, but on a more devious level people were making new accounts or using old unmerged accounts in conjunction with the scroll of resurrection with their last names on them.
They would then move a character to that account and petition Blizzard for a name change.
This mostly involved people using fake ids, marriage certificates, etc. to trick Blizzard into changing the name into a 3rd parties name so they could transfer the character with the mounts over to their account.

The person that started doing this goes by the name Reilly.
Some of you may know him, but I'm not going to post his personal details here.
He is also one of the owners of lowerping.com.

He started approaching players with large numbers of mounts that were either well known, or that he found through sites like guildox.
Some of them he offered to pay hundreds of dollars for them to move a low level to another account.
Most of them did this unsuspectingly of anything bad happening to them.
He was trying to amass the most mounts in the game an he succeeded in doing this.
The reason he did this wasn't just for the notoriety and fame, but to sell these "mount accounts" and name changes for thousands of dollars to desperate people.

If this wasn't bad enough, he also would go after people he did not like and dig up their names and battle.net emails.
He would then make a fake id in that person's name and get mounts sent to their accounts unknowingly, or he would take over your account entirely.
After that, he would then report the person to get them banned.

This past Friday the Blizzard development team unleashed a script that they had been working on to track down and remove mounts from anyone that had received these mounts.
Even the innocent victims of Reilly got permanently banned and had all of their mounts removed that were on the list he sent to their accounts, even if they had earned them legitimately in the past.
I know of only one person that I have spoken to that was not perm banned, but still had all of their mounts removed.

I'm in the army reserves and came back this week to find 2 accounts added to my battle.net and 7 paypal transactions I did not authorize, as well as my account of 7 years being banned with no prior infractions.
Blizzard only responds with generic answers assuming everyone is a guilty party in this matter.

Like I said before, this is just a warning to anyone that may care about how easily your accounts and your privacy can be invaded.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
First off, character transfers need more than the last name to match.

Second, if this is something that's against the rules, then why would you post the details? Please remove the details of how they allegedly did this.

Third, as for your specific situation, if they do not overturn a ban, then they have reviewed the logs and come to the same conclusion. You can continue to appeal the ban until they respond that the matter is closed. But your military status and length of being a customer have no bearing on the issue at hand.
1 Gnome Rogue

Second, if this is something that's against the rules, then why would you post the details? Please remove the details of how they allegedly did this.

Third, as for your specific situation, if they do not overturn a ban, then they have reviewed the logs and come to the same conclusion. You can continue to appeal the ban until they respond that the matter is closed. But your military status and length of being a customer have no bearing on the issue at hand.

#1 you're wrong. Only the last names have to match.

#2 they fixed it

#3 I never said it did mean anything. I'm just stating what I had invested in the game and if I was going to bring up some sort of status as an argument it wouldn't be the reserves.

Thanks for reading though and bumping the thread.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/01/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Funparade
#1 you're wrong. Only the last names have to match.

Sorry, I'm not.

#2 they fixed it

Still, do not post details of possible exploits.

#3 I never said it did mean anything. I'm just stating what I had invested in the game and if I was going to bring up some sort of status as an argument it wouldn't be the reserves.

So, what exactly are you looking for here? If you just want to post stuff as an FYI, then you'd want General.
1 Gnome Rogue
You are wrong about #1

You can make a ticket and ask them yourself. Not trying to upset you or anything like that.
I did post in general, but here also since a customer support moderator is more likely to look and take note of this situation.

I feel the best way to get something changed (in this case tighter security from Blizz) is to get the public informed and behind the cause.
90 Tauren Druid
So you took part in this scheme somehow and got banned, but its not your fault?
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/01/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Funparade
You are wrong about #1

Sorry, no.

I did post in general, but here also since a customer support moderator is more likely to look and take note of this situation.

A moderator is here has no ability to effect any sort of change in this game. That is for the Developers, and the Blues in here are not liaisons to them. The Community Managers in other forums, such as General, are the liaisons.

I feel the best way to get something changed (in this case tighter security from Blizz) is to get the public informed and behind the cause.

Sure does. But that needs to be in your thread in General.

But I would also recommend that you refocus on what you think needs to be tighter security. If the possible exploit has been closed, then that's already tighter security, right?
1 Gnome Rogue
I'm not going to argue with you. Maybe a blue will post and shed some light.

The tighter security needs to come in the form of them requiring more for a name change or better ways to determine the authenticity of the proof provided.
80 Blood Elf Paladin
10/01/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Funparade
The tighter security needs to come in the form of them requiring more for a name change

They already need the first and last name, plus to answer the secret question/answer. If someone else has this information, then they are likely to get other required information from you. I'm not saying it can't be looked at, but there becomes a point where more security crosses into handcuffing legitimate users without affecting the unscrupulous people.

For example, if there was an exploit for people to "buy" account transfers for mount purposes, then they are willing participants. They will share whatever information is needed for the sellers to make it happen, even including credit card information.
Support Forum Agent
10/01/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Madisón

Not entirely true. Though technically speaking, it is against policy to use the transfer service to transfer between accounts that are not registered to the same user, the system itself primarily looks at the last name.

10/01/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Funparade
Some of them he offered to pay hundreds of dollars for them to move a low level to another account.

I'm not certain how innocent the victim is when doing something that is expressively prohibited. The sale, trade or gifting of accounts/characters has always been prohibited by our policies.

Regardless, if your account was suspended, closed or had any other action taken on it and you wish to dispute the only point of contact available is by submitting a dispute through the Support site.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

I'm in the army reserves and came back this week to find 2 accounts added to my battle.net and 7 paypal transactions I did not authorize, as well as my account of 7 years being banned with no prior infractions.
Blizzard only responds with generic answers assuming everyone is a guilty party in this matter.

If evidence exists of a compromise of the account, that may be taken into consideration. If no evidence exists that though, I'm afraid there is little that can be done.

Please remember that while we do what we can to verify account compromise and repair what damage may have been caused during a verified compromise, all activity on an account is the sole responsibility of the registered user.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]