Frame Rate Drops, Like a Stop Action Movie

90 Orc Warrior
Problem: The game has fine response much of the time, but occasionally my FPS drops to 1 and my input is massively delayed. It's like my interface has turned into a Ray Harryhausen stop action film. Happens at least 3 times an instance run.

Observations:

- Other folks in my raid or party do not seem to be affected (on two occasions they reported a huge spike in their FPS while I'm suffering a simultaneous drop)
- My normal frame rate is 15 fps (I've got it capped), and I'm fine with that.
- Audio does not seem to be affected.
- I'm on a Mac.
- Mouse clicks and keyboard clicks seem to be affected.
- Happens under Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.8.2
- System and other applications don't seem to be affected.
- Latency does not spike (~30 ms local/world)
- Generally lasts 5-30 seconds, but can happen many times in the same instance.
- Happens in instances and Ogrimmar.
- I'm on a high population server (Tichondrius)
- Same thing happened to me in beta, but wasn't occuring in Cataclysm. It was bad enough I stopped playing the beta and went back to Cataclysm. (Thought it was a just a crowded beta server)

System Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.28f3

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:
Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
ROM Revision: 3212

Things I've tried:

- Tried with all addons/extensions off
- Killed all non-64 bit processes via activity monitor
- Upgraded RAM from 2 GB to 6 GB
- Upgraded OS from Mac OS 10.6.8 to 10.8.2
- Tried with upgraded and fresh installed 10.8.2
- Tried applying combo update 10.8.2 manually
- Tried capping/limiting FPS to 60 and then to 15
- Tried setting graphics to those recommeneded in the sticky:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969747052
Graphics > Display
Multisampling: 1x
Vertical Sync: Disabled
Graphics > Graphics
Graphics Slider: Good
Texture Resolution: Good
Texture Filtering: 2x
Projected Textures: Enabled
View Distance: Good
Environmental Detail: Good
Ground Clutter: Low
Shadow Quality: Low
Liquid Detail: Low
Sunshafts: Disabled
Particle Density: Good

Advanced
Triple Buffering; Disabled
Reduce Input Lag: Disabled
Hardware Cursor: Enabled
Notes: Expect 40-50fps.
- Tried setting graphics even lower.
- Deleted Interface/Cache/Data/WTF/Battle.net files
- Tried fresh install of game.
- Removed USB based headset from computer.
- Removed all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard.
- Defragged hard disk.
- Tried /console ffx 0
- Monitored heat sensors, no correlation between heat and problems.

Help, please!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I have a Macbook pro of similar age to yours, and I had similar issues while levelling up. 18fps, everything on low graphics, 80C processor. The only difference is I'm running 10.6.6, and have 4GB of ram. Then I tried cleaning out the dust in the air vent on the back with a can of air. It made all the difference in the world.

Now I'm getting 35fps capped all the time with graphics on good, and the computer is running a lot cooler.

The can of air I bought was $10 from a big box store, it's worth a shot.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758987082
Edited by Perma on 10/1/2012 11:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
Have you tried resetting your SMC :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also have you tried this :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758987082
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I have a Macbook pro of similar age to yours, and I had similar issues while levelling up. 18fps, everything on low graphics, 80C processor. ... I tried cleaning out the dust in the air vent on the back with a can of air. It made all the difference in the world. Now I'm getting 35fps capped all the time with graphics on good, and the computer is running a lot cooler.

Thanks for the tip! I popped my MBP open this morning and dusted it out with canned air. Although this did not solve the problem, it does seem to have resulted in the book running cooler. Seems like a good "every 3-6 month" thing to do.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Were you able to try what Bluspacecow suggested and reset your SMC?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yes, I tried resetting the SMC (thanks Blus!); it did not solve the problem. The SMC (or PMU on PowerPCs) controls low level systems like battery charging, back lighting, and fans. It's only likely to effect performance indirectly and my fans (for example) seem to be operating normally. Did try it though.

I'm investing in a Cooler Master SF-19 cooling system, to see if lowering the temperature helps (reviews seem to suggest it does a better job than my current cooler). Don't have a lot of hope on that one, but I'm trying it mostly 'cause I'm out of ideas and hoping for a hail Mary.

Also trying to get more info about those issues with USB headsets. Any info on what was going on there or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The new cooler is nice, but it's not solving the problem. At this point, I'm thinking the only way to raid in MoP would be to buy a new computer. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Frustrating.
Reply Quote
15 Pandaren Monk
This whole fps issue has got me so irritated. thread after thread and all these suggestions but actual fix.

for me the drop in frames did not happen when mop was released. it happened a few days later for no reason.

I had changed no settings. I had not installed any new addons.

I have tried the various suggestions with no luck.

in fact one of them made my fps even worse.

I have only logged into my toon to see if things were any better. days later it is not.

sadly I just purchased mop and I am paid up for the month.

thanks blizz
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Same here. its gone to a point like Im donating money instead of getting my money worth, leveling was probably the hardest thing with this annoying freezing bug.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you check your repair-on demand.log and see if it is spamming the repair function to repair data during game play?

This is located in /Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.1363/Logs. Make sure you remove any computer/usernames in the log.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
yeah , having the same issues, just a sudden drop in FPS today. i dont seems to have a repair on demand log, or at least i dont see it in my log section. Maybe give us a fix tomorrow?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
how many of you are using mods? and are you testing withou tthem?

for example, a recent release of silverdragon had a nasty cpu bug in it that would cause signifcant slideshow/stutter in game. it'd generate no errors so you wouldn't realize it was mod, but a mod author like myself was able to find cpu bottleneck very fast and contact silverdragon author about it. none the less, i don't think he's pushed update to fix this yet (not a release anyways, just alpha)

and that's just ONE mod example, could be any other mod with a similar bug as well.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/08/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Omegal
how many of you are using mods? and are you testing withou tthem?

Yes, definitely reproduce-able without any mods installed.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Is this with the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Can you check your repair-on demand.log and see if it is spamming the repair function to repair data during game play?

This is located in /Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.1363/Logs. Make sure you remove any computer/usernames in the log.

I've found log folders for:

Blizzard
Blizzard Entertainment
Battle.net

In the users shared folder. I was not able to find a file named "repair-on demand.log" in any of these folders or sub folders. Including the Agent::Angent.1363::Logs folder. Is it possible this .log file is named something different?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/09/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Machkhan
Is this with the 32-bit client, 64-bit client, or both?

I have tested with only 64-bit client. Do you think going back to the 32-bit client might help?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Try the 32-bit client and see if issues persist. We're getting reports of this, and I would like to see if it is with a specific client, so we can do additional research.

Also, if you don't have that log, then it means your MPQ files are fine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
10/11/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Machkhan
Try the 32-bit client and see if issues persist. We're getting reports of this, and I would like to see if it is with a specific client, so we can do additional research.

I experienced the same problem testing with the 64-bit client launched by the launcher and with the 32-bit client launched directly from the finder.

The problem seems independent of whether I use the 32-bit or 64 bit build of the client.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Spoke with another player today who's experiencing the same thing on basically brand new hardware, so even my last resort of "buying a new machine" doesn't seem a feasible option. Starting to think the only way to fix this is to go PC.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Spoke with another player today who's experiencing the same thing on basically brand new hardware, so even my last resort of "buying a new machine" doesn't seem a feasible option. Starting to think the only way to fix this is to go PC.

Running WoW under Windows 7 using Bootcamp to boot natively into it and the latest Nvidia drivers gives me really good performance. I run it using Windowed mode (full screen or not, doesn't matter) on 1920x1200 resolution, and I get consistent 30fps with high settings and SSAO disabled from start to finish - and the computer heats up but nothing super hot (it won't burn you to the touch). I have one of the new MBP Retina laptops.

I don't mean to imply this is the solution to the problem raised in this thread. It's simply something I do and have a good experience with, so I wanted to share my experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]