Elusive Brew and Glyph of Guard

90 Pandaren Monk
I thought I'd reach out to the community for thoughts on two things that have been hard to decide on.

The first is Elusive Brew. I absolutely love this ability - no cost other than buff stacks and a great survivability tool with only a 9 second cooldown. My issue, though, is that I find myself rarely having that many stacks of Elusive Brew to consume and I really don't see activating only 2 or 3 stacks being that handy unless I'm in a really tight spot. For this reason, does crit become more important at higher levels to help increase Elusive Brew uptime? Or is it really just supposed to the the "OH S**T!" button that it's seemed to be so far? I keep thinking the latter since I really don't seem squishy if I always keep Shuffle up.

My second question is about Glyph of Guard (Increases damage absorbed by Guard by 10% but makes it only absorb magic damage) - would it useful in a dungeon/raid environment? As I previously mentioned, as long as I keep Shuffle up, I really don't seem squishy at all, so I can potentially see this being useful since I already have a strong arsenal of anti-melee damage tools (Shuffle, Stagger and Elusive Brew for burst periods) but nothing really against magic other than the base damage reduction of Ox Stance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! :D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I find elusive brew to be the kind of thing I save for when I either need it to save myself, or when some heavy melee is going to be coming. Not really sure if that's how it's suppose to be handled or if it makes crit a better stat or not.

As for the guard glyph, it feels like it can have 2 perks. One obviously being that it can help with mitigating magic damage. The other perk can be that since it doesn't absorb physical damage, it will stay up longer, for the most part, so you can get stronger self-heals for longer periods. I don't really find myself using the glyph much currently though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/01/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Ranziah
As for the guard glyph, it feels like it can have 2 perks. One obviously being that it can help with mitigating magic damage. The other perk can be that since it doesn't absorb physical damage, it will stay up longer, for the most part, so you can get stronger self-heals for longer periods. I don't really find myself using the glyph much currently though.

That was exactly what I was thinking of. Especially since I find my Guard being used up before its full duration passes, it would keep it up longer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The glyph really depends on how you use your Guard, personally. If you save the guard for heavy burst periods or a break to build up Shuffle the glyph is a deterrent. If you try to keep it up all the time and you're fighting magic heavy mobs it becomes a lot more effective.

Does the glyph affect Statue Guards, too?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10/01/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Punda
Does the glyph affect Statue Guards, too?

That is a really good question!

As for my Guard usage, I've kinda gone back and forth between trying to keep it up all the time and just using it as my available chi allows. I keep finding more and more that keeping Shuffle up will trump keeping Guard up in most cases, especially once I get high enough to have Purifying Brew. This is also why I was looking into the best use for Elusive Brew in my original post because that seems like more of a true blue "OH S**T!" button than Guard because of their respective cooldowns. Whereas Elusive Brew adds to my overall avoidance, Guard adds to my mitigation and all of my other tools are more geared towards preventing physical damage, which is why I've been thinking the glyph for Guard might be an overall better choice.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I thought I'd reach out to the community for thoughts on two things that have been hard to decide on.

The first is Elusive Brew. I absolutely love this ability - no cost other than buff stacks and a great survivability tool with only a 9 second cooldown. My issue, though, is that I find myself rarely having that many stacks of Elusive Brew to consume and I really don't see activating only 2 or 3 stacks being that handy unless I'm in a really tight spot. For this reason, does crit become more important at higher levels to help increase Elusive Brew uptime? Or is it really just supposed to the the "OH S**T!" button that it's seemed to be so far? I keep thinking the latter since I really don't seem squishy if I always keep Shuffle up.

My second question is about Glyph of Guard (Increases damage absorbed by Guard by 10% but makes it only absorb magic damage) - would it useful in a dungeon/raid environment? As I previously mentioned, as long as I keep Shuffle up, I really don't seem squishy at all, so I can potentially see this being useful since I already have a strong arsenal of anti-melee damage tools (Shuffle, Stagger and Elusive Brew for burst periods) but nothing really against magic other than the base damage reduction of Ox Stance.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! :D

The problem with saving it I've noticed is it will sometimes full off and I'll lose all stacks and give myself a big DOH!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
The bonus from glyphing Guard is small enough that you should pretty much only use it if the damage you're worried about is exclusively magical, such as big dragon breaths.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]