[Discussion] RP 'Power' vs Game Achs

90 Human Priest
I had a long discussion with a friend yesterday, needless to say it went around and around and around with no end. So I decided to table it here and see what everyone's views are.

The question is this: how do YOU (the player) feel about RPers using their PvE/PvP achievements to up their 'RP power'?

Aka, do you acknowledge somebody as being stupidly OP because 'he killed heroic rags' when half the server is still struggling on normal Domo? What about that other player that eats H DW for breakfast and does weekly mount sales with his guild? Or how about that other guy that went out of his way to farm up Corrupted Ashbringer and is now suddenly, "THE MAN OF THE CRUSADE"?

I am rather conflicted about this. I think at best, PvE and PvP stuff should SUPPLEMENT your RP, not be the backbone of it.

I can accept a RPer RPing a mighty general, and then proceeding to work his butt off for the gear that makes him all the more intimidating. It makes the RP more believable on a visual sense. However I dislike the idea of him /dueling everyone into submission fully knowing half the folks in the tavern can't even dent him in a real duel. I also dislike the idea of anyone citing their own achievements and saying "THEREFORE, I AM RPWISE MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU". I think that sort of 'RP status/respect' should be earned from your RPing with RP folks and not your bashing your head against a wall with 9/24 other people on weekly basis.

People citing their own game achs in order to claim 'RP' superiority turns me off, completely. People aren't blind. If you are in a community and you belong to the raid that gets realm first H DW, folks will know. Whether they decide to credit that to your IC RP character is up to them (and they have the full right not to). Citing it YOURSELF (aka tooting your own horn) just makes me reel. "I AM A GLADIATOR, SEE MY GEAR, I SHOULD BE TROUNCING YOU IN THIS RP BRAWL HANDS DOWN" <--- this attitude disgusts me.

I also apply it to mounts. The sandstone drake is pretty cool and all (and I have it and it is quite useful), but seeing folks (HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU, DRUIDS) 'suddenly' being able to turn into a stone dragon over night 'just cuz'...Yes, sure, it's your RP...but in a way I cannot help but get the 'laaaaaaame' feeling from it. On the other hand I find the idea of a necromancer RPer riding around exclusively on a frost wyrm/anything skeletal very theme-fitting. I also get that 'laaaaaaame' feeling with certain lore weapons and anyone RPing that theirs is THE ONE AND ONLY (I think there was a fiasco about this on MG a while ago). I'm OK with somebody getting lucky and getting it drop and using it as a prop (aka shiny weapon to look cool), I'm not too OK with somebody swinging it around, declaring it loudly and basically using it as a spotlight magnet.

I cannot help but feel (and obviously some people are going to say 'nay' on this) that folks who do that suffers from the 'omg shiny/cool!' syndrome. E.g. you see something shiny/new/cool and you can't help but get it and show it off IMMEDIATELY, and what better venue to show it off in RP where everyone IC HAS to look your way? (cue people going 'nope, you can look away if you don't like it, not your business' here)

And before anyone says anything about me "only believing such before I'm one of those RPers that doesn't raid, only do dailies and hang out in SW/SMC, thinks it's unfair hardcores gets to have toys, etc", I can say I do raid -_- quite a bit.

I guess in the grand scale of things, I fall somewhere in the middle of the pack, accepting some and unable to tolerate others. What is yours?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/02/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Zamboozle
how do YOU (the player) feel about RPers using their PvE/PvP achievements to up their 'RP power'?

In game mechanics, which include Achievements have no bearing on the RP world or the Lore therefore you can't "up your RP power" by killing things in-game or obtaining super cool legendary items or purples.

Let me explain this more clearly.

We cannot control or in anyway be near to events that truly control the lore. This is why most RP'ers create story arcs that are tangent at most to the storyline of the game. We can't be the powerful NPC characters or as powerful as our characters are in game it just doesn't work that way.

Are we veteran soldiers of multiple campaigns who know a thing or two about fighting? Yes, but that doesn't make us elites. What it makes us is better than the average farmboy recruit but not as strong stronger than the shock troops of the Kor'kron or the 7th Legion. At best we could be part of those groups but that's about it.

An example I'd like to use is that of my ex-paladin Ashok Longshadow. When he served the Alliance he was a paladin, a Knight-Captain. Nothing special as there are a good number of those. He would stand on the field of battle giving out a few orders but mostly using his experience in combat to fight off the enemies of the Alliance while protecting the troops around him. During the seige of ICC (Even though I killed the Lich King in game) Ashok was in the rear-guard protecting those that entered the Citadel from the Scourge forces trying to break into the Citadel from behind to slaughter the Ashen Verdict.

Another is with the seige of Wyrmrest Ashok was yet again at the base but this time he was supplying healing to the injured and acting as a reserve body for when a defensive line started to break. Not very "heroic" one might say but in fact it makes for a better RP. We can't all go running around saying we killed Deathwing, or even helped in a direct/indirect way (though technically what Ashok did was help in an indirect way but that is not the point, I don't say he helped).

The idea that we can even come close to being elite soldiers where we can cut swaths across the battlefield and leave havoc in our wake without taking serious injuries that would probably end up killing us is preposterous. We aren't that good nor can we ever be that good. Sure we can take on a half dozen to a dozen enemies on in a battle but we'd be severely depleted to the point of uselessness in the next engagement.

Think of us like we are in real life, we are mortal (even for the long lived races aka dwarves, elves and draenei), we are not without weaknesses.

Anyone who argues from the opposite end of the spectrum is looking to seperate themselves from the masses of RP'ers in the wrong way. By having some shiny title or shiny weapon that seperates them instead of doing it with their character development or personality or such things.

An example of that is again my ex-paladin Ashok who was a beacon of the Light but he didn't always agree with the Church's stance and in the end that caused him to doubt the Light enough that he lost his grasp of it and now he has become a cynical mercenary, fighting to put food and drink in his belly and running from the Alliance and bounty hunters trying to collect on his bounty.

Such a simple story yet one that has multitudes of opportunity in RP. Its all about how one looks at it and how one decides to move the character's personality, emotions, mental state etc in a direction and how they write about that; not about the shiny weapons and titles and enemies they kill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I completely agree that PvE achievements should have absolutely no effect on what you Rp as, or where you stand in the grand RP scale of things. But at the same time, I believe totally negating them is probably not the best way to go about things.

I am biased, and jaded, and a little prejudice when it comes to RP. Quite simply speaking if a level 10 alt in rags walks up to me saying 'I AM THE GREAT WIZARD GEEZBO, HERE ME ROAR', I am going to have a bit of rough time accepting that. Especially when some bear in the area walks up to the fellow and noms the guy in two hits. A least put SOME effort into your character if you are going to go for something 'as RP OP' as that?

But when conflicts start, what do you do? Or rather, how do you respond? I know several RPers who loudly proclaim their PvP (FULL GLADIATOR SET WOOO) or PvE (they fall short of that, but compared to the other Rpers they're still miles ahead) achs should be factored in when considering how strong they are. And I feel that is utterly unfair to the RPers who chose NOT to bang their heads into the raid and PvPwall, or simply lack the time or patience (or masochism) to do so. What do you do in that situation?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I agree there should be a middle ground somewhat. However it boils down to the fact you will have people who use it to brag and make their characters so overpowered it is ridiculous. As far as rp is concerned, there are the really serious and immersed rpers who believe that the average person in Azeroth is not a major lore character, nor related to such, and no they did not singlehandedly kill (insert big baddie here).

The ones who are just casually rping as whatever they feel like and throwing lore out the window so to speak, will brag and strut around like little macho men...they have no idea how irritating and silly it looks.

Best idea is to ignore them and move on, look for the good rpers who stick to lore, play a normal person of whatever race and get immersed in the fantasy. It may take some time to find these gems on whatever server, but they are out there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I had a long discussion with a friend yesterday, needless to say it went around and around and around with no end. So I decided to table it here and see what everyone's views are.

The question is this: how do YOU (the player) feel about RPers using their PvE/PvP achievements to up their 'RP power'?

Aka, do you acknowledge somebody as being stupidly OP because 'he killed heroic rags' when half the server is still struggling on normal Domo? What about that other player that eats H DW for breakfast and does weekly mount sales with his guild? Or how about that other guy that went out of his way to farm up Corrupted Ashbringer and is now suddenly, "THE MAN OF THE CRUSADE"?

I stopped reading here because the answer is no, I don't even Rp with these people. Their horrifying lack of imagination is usually accompanied by other issues in said RP that I simply won't tolerate, like godmoding. I don't want to sound like an elitist because I really do try to RP with everybody who wants to RP with me and I usually like everybody's RP just fine, but when we get to "I'm the Goku of WoW so you can't beat me because x y z game achievements" I'm tempted to just /ignore. I'm here to roleplay, and I value immersion. "I have achieves to prove it" is not immersion, and in fact DESTROYS immersion, right along with "I'm level 90 and you're level 50 I can 1 shot you" in RP.

You know what? I'm not even going to sugar coat it. Want to know what I think about using achievements/world firsts/lore weapons in RP? I think it's STUPID. I think their RP is bad and they should feel bad.
Edited by Eldevane on 10/4/2012 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]