Non-Panda Monks: What's shakin?

90 Tauren Monk
Why wouldn't they? The Alliance (and WoW humans in general) have traditionally shown that they're willing to give a hand when the person on the other end is willing to reciprocate. Even undead.
Because Lordareon.

...Or something
Reply Quote
76 Human Monk
I do RP not as a monk per se, but more as a monk-rogue that is focused on martial arts. What I do is simply ignore the Chi aspect, for now.

Spiral eventually will learn the proper ways of the Windwalker monk, I just don't know when and with who.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Rolled a panda shaman, as I figured most pandas would be monks.

Rolled a troll monk for the uniqueness, as I've yet to see a single one. Gave it the same name as the iksar monk I had on EQ, and as a character sort of follows the same philosophy, in that pain = strength.
Edited by Tadkins on 10/2/2012 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Alleriel Sunhaven here! This is a character concept designed to fit in with several other blood elf characters that I and my friends have made in the past. She'll be sort of a problem solver and voice of reason amongst them.

My idea is that she is seeking to regain focus and touch with her roots, making her closer to Quel'dorei in nature. I figured the contemplative nature of the monk would suit itself well to a Sin'dorei that was still trying to make sense of the past several years and come to terms with what the future holds now that the Sunwell has been restored.

She's trying to heal from the past and move towards a (hopefully) brighter future while balancing her responsibilities amongst the other Sin'dorei with her newfound understanding and insight.

And on a side note, this class rocks and I'm finding the gameplay to be great! :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Edited by Karob on 10/2/2012 3:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Rolled a panda shaman, as I figured most pandas would be monks.

Rolled a troll monk for the uniqueness, as I've yet to see a single one. Gave it the same name as the iksar monk I had on EQ, and as a character sort of follows the same philosophy, in that pain = strength.

My panda is a shaman too. So much element story in the starter area made me do it!

Ran some instances with a troll monk last night. They look awesome as monks and actually stand upright when fighting. hehe

Iksar monks! Yesssssssssssssssssss
Reply Quote
40 Human Monk
I stopped playing Cheryl for months just to say she was off practicing punching and stuff to become a monk

And now she's back
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/02/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Karob
Okay, better question, why are they helping a god-less she-witch kill some of the last living Lordaeronians?

I like how you cut my post off right before you got to the part where I talked about this. Specifically-

I agree it's an anachronism for the Alliance to randomly show up in Scarlet Monastery these days, since it seems like you guys basically just get randomly farted into Tirisfal for no apparent reason other than Blizzard going HEY YOU GOTTA RUN THIS NOW.

So, why? Because the Alliance needs to run something other than Gnomeregan in the early 30s.

This isn't some defect in Lilian Voss' character, it's a greater failure on Blizzard's part to connect the Scarlet Crusade to the Alliance in antagonistic fashion.

Moreover-

some of the last living Lordaeronians

Leaving aside the human portions of the populations in the Plagulands and survivors elsewhere, I think the case could be made that most of the people you're killing in the new Scarlet Halls/Monastery instances aren't Lordaeranian. They sound nothing like the people of Lordaeron. Listen to Terenas, Arthas, Uther, Tirion, hell - anyone who's ever come from Lordaeron and then listen to them. They sound nothing alike. More, the dungeon journal doesn't actually mention any of them as being Lordaeranian - but it does for Sally Whitemane.

This might actually explain why Brother Korloff was able to train with the pandaren despite the Scarlet Crusade's fanatical pro-human bent. After the heavy losses to the Forsaken and the Scourge in the pre-wrath events maybe the Crusade, desperate to replace bodies, snapped up a band of mercenaries from Alterac, the northlands, or some other isolated and independant fiefdom to shore up the monastery's defenses. Korloff could have trained with the passing master beforehand.
Edited by Kurze on 10/2/2012 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm sorry, I was way too tired to talk about lore. Ignore my post.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/02/2012 03:34 PMPosted by Karob
I'm sorry, I was way too tired to talk about lore. Ignore my post.

Eh, don't worry about it. I'll leave my post up since I like that idea of the Scarlets recruiting a bunch of people from some backwood to replace their key figures. Kind of underscores just how many times they've had their faces smashed by the Blizz team.
Reply Quote
Boreg started out as a brawler type of character, very typical rough-housing type because of the importance of combat to his clan. Well, went from warrior using fist weapons to a blademaster archetype. I like the idea of a swift two-handed weapon user, and orcs shouldn't have much trouble picking up the animal themed fighting styles taught by the pandaren.

Basically, the physical training came from being an orc, the spiritualism was something he quickly was able to adopt from the pandaren emissaries.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Cariol Wrenchfoot.

Hostess.

Masseuse.

Gnome.

Monk.

Mmm~
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Monk
Cariol Wrenchfoot.

Hostess.

Masseuse.

Gnome.

Monk.

Mmm~
Sounds like a smashing good list of credentials.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Monk
10/02/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Jorn
I hope people don't get mad at monk rpers that play monks not trained by pandaren.

In beta it really bothered me that there's no storyline or lead-in to the class AT ALL. You already know how to be a monk, I guess, and you go and talk to a Pandaren. For night elves, at least, he says he wants to learn from you. "Pandas taught them lol" might suffice for Blizzard, but it didn't for my character.

I picked night elf because they already have a sort of Asian feel with their architecture and food. My monk doesn't really think of himself, more that Elune has honed his body itself into a weapon. He was formerly a rogue, and has been a hermit for the past few centuries, developing his philosophy and fighting techniques.

Other kaldorei pretty much see him as an eccentric, which he is.
Reply Quote
25 Human Monk
I RPd it as "my character was raised in Westfall, learned hand-to-hand combat herself by fighting murlocs occasionally, and is now training her skills with the Pandaren."

She also watched the ocean and got in-tune with its energy... found out it has good healing properties. Thus Mistweaver.
Reply Quote
10 Human Monk
You know it is funny ever since I heard of monk/panda's I was all excited to make a pandaren monk. Saved a name for her months upon months ago and now that it's here...

I ended up making my monk human XD

I really love her character and the backstory I came up for her, it's ashame that most of the guilds are panda only. Where's the love for all the non-pandaren monks you guys with rp guilds!

<3
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
You know it is funny ever since I heard of monk/panda's I was all excited to make a pandaren monk. Saved a name for her months upon months ago and now that it's here...

I ended up making my monk human XD

I really love her character and the backstory I came up for her, it's ashame that most of the guilds are panda only. Where's the love for all the non-pandaren monks you guys with rp guilds!

<3
Well, depending on how things play out, I may end up making a Blood Elf-only Monk RP guild centered around the aforementioned Path of the Arcane Fist.

Seriously, does anyone have a better name for that? I haven't been able to think of one.
Reply Quote
Gnome monk, representing. \o/
Reply Quote
An elegant mix of Turk from Scrubs, Shaft, and Benjamin January.

He claimed to be "just a really nice rogue" before monks came to be.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]