I suck at ele and need help.

90 Troll Shaman
I give up trying to do this on my own. I have to swallow my pride and accept that either I am totally inept at elemental, or I have been doing something so incredibly wrong that I cannot make the spec work for me. I am a healer first and foremost, but more and more I am needed to dps for my guild (either other healers aren't geared/specced or would prefer not to), and I want to be as good a dps as I am a healer.

(if you take the time to look at my gear, I have not reforged anything as I am still getting gear. Unfortunately right now my resto and ele set are the same, but I would still love suggestions on how to optimize what gear I have, even if I don't do it right away in favor of building it for resto)

Yes, I have read guides and stickies. I still suck. I always seem to be the bottom of dps meters.

Here's what I understand:

fire totem down > fire shock on target > lava burst > earth shock around 6-7 stacks of lightning shield > lightning bolt

Any tips or tricks? Should I come back when I have logs? Sometimes I don't always refresh searing totem right away, but the gap is large enough that I think there's more wrong with how I'm going about things then just that (and I am working to get better at that).

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
fire totem down > fire shock on target > lava burst > earth shock around 6-7 stacks of lightning shield > lightning bolt

Decent for an opener. After the opener it's more like:

1) Cast Flame Shock IF the DoT has expired or has 1 tick remaining.
2) IF you have the L90 talent Unleashed Fury, cast Unleash Elements
3) Cast Lava Burst IF it is off cooldown AND Flame Shock is on the target
4) Cast Earth Shock IF Lightning Shield is at 6-7 charges. Note: It is possible to pre-cast this with 3 or more charges if you need to recast Flame Shock shortly (ie: the dot has more than 5 seconds remaining). For more information on Earth Shock use, see the advanced section.
5) IF you have the L90 talent Elemental Blast, cast Elemental Blast
6) Use Fire Elemental Totem IF the cooldown has expired
7) Drop Searing Totem IF you have no active fire totem AND Fire Elemental Totem cooldown has more than 15 seconds remaining
8) Cast Lightning Bolt

Since you took PE you can ignore steps 2 & 5.

My opener in 5 mans looks more like this though:

1) Flame Shock
2) Lava Burst
3) Fire Elemental
4) Heroism/Ascendance/My use trinket/Stormlash/Scream at the Warrior to drop Skull Banner all at once
5) Lava Burst spam for 15 seconds

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6759325872 - This is a solid gear list for everything except trinkets for elemental.

Right now Elemental in 5 mans relies on 2 things:

1) Abuse of Chain Lightning
2) Massive Ascendance burst.

Maximize those two as best you can and you should do ok. Logs when you can get them if you still need help.
Edited by Gistwiki on 10/2/2012 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
One glaring problem I can see is your Spirit. You're lackluster Spirit value is probably dragging your overall hit down, so you really should be buffing that as best as you can. I know it's mostly green and blue gear from quests, but reforging is still viable, just don't bother gemming/enchanting anything seriously that isn't at least 450 iLvl, so get more Spirit by reforging.

As for rotation, against single targets (bosses) what I like to do is:

Elemental Blast
Fire Shock
Lava Burst
Ascendance
Lava Burst repeatedly until Ascendance wears off

After Ascendance wears off, I like to rotate:

Flame Shock
Lava Burst
Elemental Blast
Earth Shock at 7 stacks
Lightning Bolt

Worked so far for the most part, though I generally do Resto as primary so perhaps my rotations are a bit off.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Knowing what to do is the most important step. However a gymnast trainer usually can't do what a gymnast does. You need some time to get used to rotation and do it right
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hex
I found creating a stop casting macro for lava burst to be useful also. Helps you use the procs you get off of flameshock quicker which will help your dps quite a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Gabbz
I found creating a stop casting macro for lava burst to be useful also. Helps you use the procs you get off of flameshock quicker which will help your dps quite a bit.

Interrupting casts to cast lava bursts from a lava surge proc is a dps loss in almost every conceivable situation :<
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Gistwiki

Interrupting casts to cast lava bursts from a lava surge proc is a dps loss in almost every conceivable situation :<

How can you possibly think this? I am fathomed..
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Fakt

Any time you stop casting a spell in order to do something else, you essentially wasted time. A lot of bad fire mages are figuring that out about now too because of heating up procs. Letting the cast complete will ensure that no cast time was wasted.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/03/2012 03:40 PMPosted by Fakt

Simple. Interrupting a cast means that you spent an entire GCD (between 1 and 1.5 seconds, you can tell what yours is by checking the cast time on Lava Burst as the cast time on LvB is equal to the length of the GCD for elemental) doing nothing. Even if you interrupt .1 seconds into the cast you would still have to wait the length of the GCD to cast your Lava Burst.

The only conceivable situation where this might be a gain instead of a loss is a spine-like burn where you get a Lava Surge proc right at the end and you wouldn't have gotten the Lava Burst off if you hadn't interrupted Lightning Bolt. Otherwise, the damage lost by spending a GCD doing nothing at all is not made up by the damage bump for casting a Lava Burst over a Lightning Bolt.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1. Know your rotation/priority list. All classes/specs have a standard rotation or priority list. A rotation is a set of spells/abilities used in a specific order and then repeated. A priority list is the same as a rotation except each spell/ability is to be used in a ranked order of effectiveness as it comes off of cooldown(CD). Most all classes use very little of the spells the game provided for them. Although all those spells look neat and fun, only one set rotation/priority list is going to produce MAXIMUM results. The key to maximizing your DPS is to find that set and use it religiously. Keep in mind that due to nerfs and buffs this can change from game patch to game patch. You will need to check your source of information on the best possible rotation/priority each patch to see if things have changed.

2. Know your specs proper stat itemization. Each spec has a specific priority of stats. For example for Elemental Shaman the priority is:

Intellect > 15% Spell Hit (Hit | Spirit) > Haste > Mastery > Crit

This of course will vary depending on your spec, but it too like your rotation needs to be followed religiously. If you maximize it in your reforging and gemming you will see a DPS increase. If you do not your DPS will suffer.

3. Be button masher and not a button clicker. If you are using your mouse to click each spell you are losing DPS and more importantly you are losing mobility. You can fully and easily move with your mouse which then leaves your left hand totally free to button press all of your abilities. If you dedicate yourself to it you WILL see a difference and more importantly it will increase your raid awareness keeping you alive longer and after all, a dead toon does no DPS.

4. Use general and class specific addons. I know some people don’t have computers that can play the game and use a lot of addons at the same time, but the good news here is with a lot of changes to WoW of recent, you really don’t need a lot of addons anymore. But here are some I DO recommend.

Deadly Boss Mods – a MUST for raiding

Recount – You don’t have to live and die by the meters, but you do need to know where you stand to get better.

NeedToKnow – Or some other kind of mod that monitors buffs, debuffs, timers, Cooldowns etc.

I personally think you can use these three mods and be able to functionally have all tools you need to successfully DPS in dungeons and raids.

5. IMPORTANT!!! Know your fights. If you know what is coming you can know when to avoid it faster. If you know when a boss is vulnerable you can know when to maximize spells, CD’s and Trinkets. Know when you have to move so you can maximize DPSing on the move (DPSing on the move is a MUST for maintain maximum DPS.) Know when you have to STOP DPSing so you can save your hide or not hinder the raid. Again, a dead toon does no DPS!

6. Be dogged about your DPS. The moment the tank gets aggro be the first on the ball. The more Activity time you have the more damage you are going to do. When he tank moves you move....we have a lot more mobility with CD's and glyphs now.

I promise you if you apply these tools to maximum dedication, your DPS will improve and you will feel confident in your class, your knowledge and your gameplay.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
You wanna play ele? Well buckle in, 'cause the sky is turning dark and the forecast is calling for some heavy chain lightning.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
You all are amazing. Right now we're flooded with dps, so I will have ample time to practice in dungeons. <3 I'll be doing some damage queuing tonight (forgive me, healer brethren, because I do still need healing gear ><) and I will be putting all this advice to work.

I was stopping lightning bolts for lava surge procs, so I will not do that FOR SCIENCE! :D

(also, I totally did not see the new stickied ele guide that I had not read until I posted the first time, then felt like a liar and a dum dum. D'oh! But since there are so many helpful replies I think it is still okay >>)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]