What inspires you to be a healer?

90 Night Elf Druid
Greetings, my fellow healers! I've got a simple question for you all: What inspires you to be a healer?

Allow me to elaborate, I've been placed into the healer role from being a tank due to the need for another healer. Now, I'm not new to healing as a resto druid, I've done it for a few years, with a small break in mid-late cata. Back in the healer role, I'm struggling with keeping interested as a healer class, lost my inspiration, if you will.

What inspires you to be a healer?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Nothing really. I've done it so much longer than the other roles, everything else just feels wrong.
Reply Quote
DPS feels repetative.

Tanking does to to an extent, even with the new active mitigation model.

I like the unpredictability of healing honestly, keeps me alert and interested.
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Priest
Healing is what I enjoy most. I've tried other classes but they get deleted after 5 lvls. I mostly play healer classes. I have 2 priests, a shammy and druid. I did lvl a hunter to 85, but it was so I could have extra pets.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I heal because I don't enjoy tanking and I like fast queues. Also, I like the adrenaline during new/difficult encounters and the power-trip of controlling life/death.

Edit: Also, I get to avoid the DPS race drama. HURRR DURR I GOTSTA BE ON TOP.
Edited by Anaslex on 10/3/2012 1:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Trying to find the game play I had back in vanilla on my Warlock. And that is sucking the souls out of people in PvP. I want them to feel and know despair as they slowly lose by attrition. Also it's fun to juke interrupts until the melee derps start to /spit on me. GSO :3
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
DPS feels repetative.

This, also the knowledge that I am basically the cornerstone of the group.

Yes, if a tank is undergeared it is going to make my job much harder.

If DPS don't perform it will make my job take longer, or make my job harder if they choose to take unavoidable damage.

But the fact that I feel like I can actively make an immediate, positive difference in the group's success or failure is what keeps me healing. Those moments when I pull out all the stops and I'm 100% sure it's going to be a wipe, but my sheer stubbornness and "Not today!" has us pull through.

If I get acknowledged for it, all the better. :)

I still enjoy the active leadership you get with tanking (in a way, in that the tank leads off the pulls most times) but the passive leadership of healing is nice too (in that the group cannot move ahead successfully if you do not have the mana for it). I don't enjoy DPS because I don't really feel like I make a huge difference to the group. I feel expendable.
Edited by Garofalo on 10/3/2012 3:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Monk
DPS feels repetative.

^^^^^

yep

DPS = rotation, move out of ground stuff, rotation
Tank = rotation, move out of gound stuff, rotation
Healing = Min/Max resource's, keeping eye on all members of the party, move out of stuff

so basicly, no rotation play and more awarness of situation is why I like it.
Started getting boring at cata on Holy pally, so its monks turn
Reply Quote
DPS is too repetitive; tanking is boring; quick ques as healer

And the most important reason: UNLIMITED POWER to let someone live or die. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Like most people have said, DPS is repetitive. I do enjoy it on warlock however, but not much else.

Tanking is too much of a leader role, which I do not like.

I've been healing since the end of bc and its the only role that feels natural to me. I don't have to think, it just flows nice. I'm not a meter freak so I really could care less about topping the dps meters. I'm just happy if everyone stays alive so they can kill stuff, it makes me feel more in control of what happens.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't really enjoy DPS, because so many people in that role focus on who has the top DPS. I'm not a very competitive person in that way.

I like tanking, but I'd never tank LFD, since there are so many issues with pets/aggro and people pulling for the tank. Little things like that would frustrate me as a tank.

Healing is my thing. As long as the group finishes the instance, you've done well. I also like to be the person that makes sure that people survive. Also, being a druid healer, I usually don't have anyone else rolling on leather int/spi gear.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
all the healers in my guild wanted to go dps this expansion....i've come to appreciate being a healer
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I like being able to save the day, and to a greater extent, I like being able to "carry" a group. As a DPS player I always felt like, if the healer was bad or the tank was bad, there was nothing I could do about the situation. We would die a lot and things would be painful.

As a good healer, you can make up for a lot of other people's mistakes, and hell, a lot of your own too. You have a lot of tools to fix things when !@#$ hits the fan. Even when the tank dies, if the dps is going and your healer is decent, you can still pull out a win.

I second the idea of no "dps race" I hated the constant striving to be "on top" and feeling like a failure if I wasn't in the top of the DPS pack. I mean not everyone can be number one, but NOT being number one feels bad - especially when other people are boasting and jostling for first all the time and so on. That whole mentality just does not suit me.

I am certainly competitive, but in different ways. I don't want to have the biggest number - I want to do things the best way. I want to make the best decisions, and I want to know that what I did matters.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
That being said, for the first time since vanilla (I was originally a rogue) I am leveling a pure DPS class (mage this time) to see what it is like.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Apparently a deep-seated self-hatred.

I really should just go DPS, roll need on everything I can get my grubby mits on, and troll groups.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
DPS feels repetative.

This. DPS is all about a rotation or basic priority system. Sure you react to some RNG procs and such depending on spec, but very little changes from fight to fight. I love the unpredictable, reactive style of healing. I like that you use specific heals because certain things happen in the fight, not because you are at a certain point in your rotation.

Healing feels different from fight to fight, but DPS always feels the same.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
When WoW launched I rolled a mage.

I got to lv. 60, got tired of being LF Heals all the time (Heals were the bottleneck back then on my server... Cenarion Circle I think it was).

So I rolled a resto druid. Got him to 60. Was told the only reason anyone ever brought druids to Molten Core was for Innervate, because back then hybrids were terrible.

So I rolled a holy priest. Played him the rest of Classic. Then BC dropped and I rolled this character and I've been a resto shaman ever since.

So.. I rolled a healer out of necessity (to get groups), but it turned out I liked the playstyle and I was pretty good at it so I've stuck with it.
Edited by Kessiaan on 10/3/2012 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't trust anyone else to keep myself alive and others alive.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
At first, I was wary of healing because I thought I would suck complete !@# at it, I thought since I could barely keep myself alive, how was I supposed to keep others alive? The person who got me sucked into WoW mained a disc priest and and had 2 Hpaladins. Also I met one of the best healers I've ever seen inn a random dungeon group. So I switched this shamans spec from enhancement to resto and I haven't looked back since. As it turns out I never have sucked at healing and I havent had anyone die (except for stupids, it's hard to heal through stupidity) and I enjoy it so much that after playing this shaman and an Hpaladin for a month, it felt so strange to go back to my warlock and dps. Tanking is just so strange, you have to do so much and stay active and alert, but in a different way from healing. Theres a certain satisfaction one gets from healing, knowing that the life and welfare of the group is in your hands.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's the only role I don't find boring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]