Colossus Smash + Berserker Rage

100 Pandaren Warrior
14555
Would it be a terrible idea to macro these together?

Would look something like this:

#showtooltip Colossus Smash
/castsequence Colossus Smash
/castsequence Berserker Rage

I've been using it in a few heroics and it seems to work fine. Wondering if it would have some adverse effects with enrage though. Any advise is appreciated.
Reply Quote
That's what it's for! You're not a tank so you don't need to save it for fears.

Keep it macro'd, most of us do
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
7405
That's what it's for! You're not a tank so you don't need to save it for fears.

Keep it macro'd, most of us do


~le wild warlock/spriest appears.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
8720
That's what it's for! You're not a tank so you don't need to save it for fears.

Keep it macro'd, most of us do


~le wild warlock/spriest appears.


Damn those Priests and Warlocks running around our dungeons, fearing us in PvE.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
8720
Yeah, never ever use BR for dps as Arms, and only if you're absolutely confident you won't need it for the next 30 seconds as Fury in PvP.

This was specified as a PvE topic, though.

10/03/2012 06:01 AMPosted by Aiyanna
I've been using it in a few heroics and it seems to work fine.


10/03/2012 06:01 AMPosted by Aiyanna
few heroics


few heroics
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11440
Would it be a terrible idea to macro these together?

Would look something like this:

#showtooltip Colossus Smash
/castsequence Colossus Smash
/castsequence Berserker Rage

I've been using it in a few heroics and it seems to work fine. Wondering if it would have some adverse effects with enrage though. Any advise is appreciated.


Are you doing this for fury? I wouldn't recommend it since BR is on a 30s cd and CS is on a 20s one. If you only hit CS when it lights up, you won't be using BR on cooldown and therefore cutting its effectiveness a bit.

Also, if you crit with BT then CS, you've just wasted a RB proc and you've opened yourself up to enraged downtime if you're unlucky on the next couple BT's.

Actually that last reason's more prevalent for fury but still, I wouldn't recommend macroing BR.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
14555
Something like that is what I was afraid of. Although I think if I didnt have it bound I would keep forgetting about it. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
14555


~le wild warlock/spriest appears.


Damn those Priests and Warlocks running around our dungeons, fearing us in PvE.


I do have a good friend that is a lock, and would get immeasurable amount of pleasure fearing me around instances if he could.
Reply Quote
96 Gnome Warrior
15425
Bad idea, you are wasting dps. Colossus smash enrages on a crit anyways. Use it manually or at least macro it into an ability that doesn't have a baked in chance to enrage you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
11620
10/03/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Quinten
Bad idea, you are wasting dps. Colossus smash enrages on a crit anyways. Use it manually or at least macro it into an ability that doesn't have a baked in chance to enrage you.


Pretty much. If you are already enraged, hitting berserker rage is useless.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11415
I wouldn't macro it with CS at all because if you are already enraged it's a complete waste of this ability. Since it's off the GCD, blow your CS and if you don't enrage before your next GCD then blow it.

EDIT: looks like this has already been stated... I just have it on one of the thumb buttons on my razor naga, so I can hit it anytime during my rotation without interrupting regular attacks.
Edited by Ronninn on 10/3/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
8560
Bad idea, you are wasting dps. Colossus smash enrages on a crit anyways. Use it manually or at least macro it into an ability that doesn't have a baked in chance to enrage you.


Pretty much. If you are already enraged, hitting berserker rage is useless.


If you're already enraged, it'll just give you 2 stacks of RB.

It's a slight dps loss to macro BR, as you are reducing enrage uptime. However, it's also a dps loss if you don't hit BR as soon as you are not enraged.

So, taking into account opportunity cost... would you rather pay attention to fight mechanics, other cds, damage taken, boss health... or divert some of that valuable attention to an ability that, if used perfectly, is barely a 30-50 dps increase.

I macro it to BT, I'm not ashamed. I'd rather not worry about it and free up a key for something useful, like vigilance, rallying cry, etc.

:Edit: Like others have said, don't use castsequence. It's off the GCD.

Also, other abilities that you can macro in without significant (<100) dps loss.

Colossus Smash + Bloodbath + Trinkets/Synapse Springs + Deadly Calm
Recklessness and Skull Banner.
Castsequence macro for heroic throw/impending victory
You can use a @harm @help,mouseover macro for charge/intevene.
Edited by Collision on 10/3/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
96 Gnome Warrior
15425
The lost uptime of enrage is not a slight dps loss.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
14555
From the advice given here I think i'm going to unmacro it and bind it to one of the buttons on my mouse and use it when im in a period of not being enraged. Seems to be like the best way to maximize it for DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
8560
10/03/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Quinten
The lost uptime of enrage is not a slight dps loss.


It most certainly is a slight dps loss. Using BR on cooldown (Macro'd) vs. using BR "intelligently" is a 60ish dps difference on average.

Let's assume that your enrage uptime is 60% using BR intelligently.

If you macro BR, it'll drop to 59%.

So 1% uptime difference, with the SAME amount of raging blows. That amounts to 5 seconds in a 500 second fight. 5 seconds of 15% increased damage with a moderate amount of mastery.

Let's overcompensate and say that those 5 seconds occur during colossus smash. (Extremely unlikely, as you have two chances to get enrages with BT and CS)

We're averaging 60k DPS at the moment, in a 500 second encounter.

Ok. Let's add in 5 seconds of enrage uptime into that during CS.

1.4*60,000*5 = 420,000 Damage done, no enrage.
1.4*60,000*5*1.15 = 483000 Damage done, with enrage.

That's 63,000 more damage done over the course of a 500 second fight, or a 126 dps gain.

In a worst case scenario, macroing BR will be a 126 dps loss compared to using it intelligently, under the assumptions of absolute perfect play and that any enrage uptime gained will ONLY be exhibited during colossus smash.

Oh. This isn't even including that you'll probably lose 1 raging blow over the course of the fight due to pushing back BR a few seconds here or there, not taking advantage of being able to stack two charges of RB.

Is it worth paying attention to something that is a highly optimistic 0.2% dps gain?
Reply Quote
96 Gnome Warrior
15425
It's fun to make up variables, isn't it.
1) You will lose RB occasionally as CS>RB so if you double crit on BT->CS you will lose a RB proc if you macro it to CS.
2) Lets not even get into the fact that CS and berserker rage don't line up.
3) Fury mastery is in addition to baseline enrages 10%, i.e. not a 15% increase.
4) Berserker rage is not a mere 1% uptime increase.

Used intelligently it will cover at worst a 4.5 second hold in being enraged, and at best a 6 second hole. Now factor in being human and say you'll get 4 at worst and 6 at best. This can happen twice a minute or as is delayed by crits, but likely wont. I

Assuming 25% crit with buffs, not far off from T14H and easy math, you have a 50% chance to be enraged from the BT and a 25% chance to be enraged from the CS. That's a 62.5% to be enraged, and waste your berserker rage.

You said you'd macro it into BT and given how things line up you'd be at 50% half the time and 62.5% the other half. There is also 12.5% chance of a 1.5 second gain from it, which I acknowledge but we can split hairs over not including it from here on out if you want later. Splitting the difference you are happy with a 56.25% chance of wasting a cooldown, or more than one per minute.

RNG and human factors gets to be a bit of PITA here as we are not looking at averages when it comes to uptime, but assuming you could eek another 4 seconds per minute of enrage uptime by delaying on average that would be a 6.6% added buff time for a buff that actually increases damage by 25% baseline (no mastery from gear) or a 1.65% decrease in overall damage before factoring in mastery from gear.

Is that worth babysitting, I sure think it is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]