Attn Frost Mages Re: Elegon

90 Pandaren Mage
One
Pet Freeze doesnt hit Elegon and consequently you dont proc FoF as much resulting in a massive disadvantage compared to fire. Save yourself the trouble of finding this out the hard way, fire is the better spec for this fight. Was hard pushing 60k as frost, switched to fire and despite it being sluggish and clunky @ such low haste levels, instantly jumped up to 80k.

Hope I helped. :>
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
It'll cost you about two Ice Lances per minute. 2.4 maximum. Less, when you factor in the spells you spend that time casting. You'll lose low single digits % damage. A real loss to be sure, but I don't think most people would call it massive.

That said, I argued heavily in beta for an alternative mechanic that wouldn't rely on a reticule spell to achieve the same sort of combo with the pet. Perhaps in the future...
Edited by Lhivera on 10/4/2012 7:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
Was a big difference for me. Might just be gear though. MIGHT JUST BE SKILL
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Mage
Last expansion I played feral to be different and they made a fight disregarding shred positioning for every tier. Am I doomed to suffer the same fate as frost? This brings up the bigger issue of the pet freeze reticule mechanic in general, hopefully it forces there hands.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Frozen Orb doesn't seem to be hitting Elegon either. It's rather a bad fight for single target Frost Mages because of those 2 bugs. I was forced to go Fire as a result.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
OK, yeah, losing both Freeze and Frozen Orb would be a big deal.

Please document further cases like this here — it may help bolster my case to the devs about changing/supplementing the Freeze mechanic.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nkv4la93gxsasnbw/spell/113092/?s=13759&e=14096

Frost bomb seems like it hit Elegon for me.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
Frost bomb should. Frozen Orb, though, probably has a Z-axis problem.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
oh right misread. tired, late etc

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nkv4la93gxsasnbw/spell/84721/?s=14617&e=15194

yer frozen orb didnt hit elegon once.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
The frustrating thing is that BOTH of these bugs were reported repeatedly in the official Beta Elegon Raid feedback threads months ago. It's so upsetting to see that feedback/reports went completely ignored and those bugs went Live.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Tonight my guild got to Elegon and from the first attempt I was way below the top dps. I was about 6 million damage behind the mark on each attempt. I realized that this was due to Elegon not proc-ing FoF on either my pet nova or frost orb.

Is this working as intended or is this something the team plans to fix in the future?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
OK, yeah, losing both Freeze and Frozen Orb would be a big deal.

Please document further cases like this here — it may help bolster my case to the devs about changing/supplementing the Freeze mechanic.

I'm not sure what kind of case you can make when you yourself pointed out that it is barely an issue to begin with. I'm not sayin it isn't particularly an issue, however I don't really see much an alternative that wouldn't make it worse for us in an attempt to make it better.

The Frozen Orb problem most definitely does need to be fixed though.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
There are plenty of reasons besides encounters like this to change (or supplement) Freeze, all of which essentially boil down to "using a reticule-targeted AOE control spell in a single-target DPS rotation is dumb." This is just another weight to put on the scale.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What's wrong with reticule-targeted AOE? It's great, it also adds an element of skill. Keeping your rotation going while adding in an accurate pet nova. That isn't the issue. The problem is the bug where the boss does not get hit by frozen orb or pet nova.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
10/05/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Gravitation
What's wrong with reticule-targeted AOE?

Casting an aoe root for single target dps is weird.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
10/05/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Zugman
What's wrong with reticule-targeted AOE?

Casting an aoe root for single target dps is weird.

Doesn't seem weird at all. When there are multiple mobs it hits multiple targets and you get more than one FoF.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I just killed him tonight, and pet freeze and frozen orb were hitting Elegon
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
It's a crazy Rube Goldbergesque way to do single-target DPS. You're using an area effect control spell cast by your pet against a single target that you know cannot be frozen in order to generate an effect on the Mage.

That's just dumb. It has nothing to do with whether it's skillful, and nothing to do with whether it's sometimes useful when you do want to hit multiple targets or when you want to freeze one or more targets. The spell is excellent when you actually want to use it for those purposes. As a single-target rotational ability? Just absurd.

An alternative pet combo that's actually designed as a single-target process and makes you feel like you're working together with your pet to do something that makes sense -- requiring similar skill to pull off, probably sharing a cooldown with Freeze -- would be a great addition. The fact that it would also solve this problem with hitting some targets is another good reason to do it.
90 Troll Mage
Can anyone else confirm that elegon has been fixed?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
10/05/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Hölland
I just killed him tonight, and pet freeze and frozen orb were hitting Elegon
link logs as proof please m8
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]