Any way around the RIDICULOUS Mote situation?

100 Dwarf Warrior
10/07/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Daydra
Infact, I work harder than those with tons of Alts with all professions.
You really don't.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Warrior
10/07/2012 04:46 AMPosted by Purrfekt
You can grow them at your farm. Not sure how/if it is better than trying to get them as drops.

Only if you're Revered with the Tillers.

And getting an alt to Revered with the Tillers requires levelling him to 90, THEN grinding many tillers daily quests.

This is even LESS practical for an alt to do than grind motes the old fashioned way.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
10/05/2012 09:48 AMPosted by Malavalon
They are going to make Spirits / Motes either BoA or BoE later on in the Expansion

they will, 2 weeks before the next expac comes out
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I feel like Leatherworking is a gathering profession currently. Leather is ridiculously easy to come by, but anything noteworthy to sell takes Spirits. I have multiple relatively decent farm spots, but I have to say things like: "I'll have your chest for you by tomorrow, the day after at the latest." Not fun.
Reply Quote
They are going to make Spirits / Motes either BoA or BoE later on in the Expansion, they just wanted profession perks and such to be more centralized to characters earlier on in the expansion, so that people with 1 main and 10 crafter alts wouldn't effortlessly have an advantage over people with 1 main and no crafter alts, which was the situation during early Cata.

You can still have this advantage, if you're willing to devote significant amounts of time to the process on each alt, which you yourself acknowledged was a possibility, albeit a costly one.

If your main has a profession that can't do anything with Spirits, then I'd suggest just trading them in at your faction's main City in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms for something you can use or sell.

Why SHOULDN'T a person with 10 alts and every profession have a slight advantage. I personally have every profession maxed (missing 3 to 600 now) and 9 85+ with a 74 and a fresh Monk. The time i have put into accomplishing this, as well as the time spent on far too many professions should MORE than earn me the right to be able to make cross-profession materials for my alts, not the other way around.

The game needs to stop rewarding the lazy.
+1000 internetz.

I have worked very, very hard to have all professions maxed out across this toon and my other ten alts. I make no apologies - NONE - for the fact that this effort has granted me a leg up on others who haven't or won't for whatever reason. I chose to play that way, and I shall reap the rewards, and for you folks who haven't get the hell over it and work with other players or take the time to give yourself these advantages.

At this point, I have this toon maxed in mining/bsmithing, my JCer maxed, my alchemist maxed (but not maxed in herbalism, I played the AH and bought herbs), my tailor/enchanter maxed because of the abundance of Windwool prior to the nerf, my scribe is burning her CD every day and getting skill points, and one of my two engineers is getting skill points but to max it I will have to level him because I need Spirits to skill-up properly.

And this guy is my only 90.

I will have to wait for epic patterns for my tailor because I'm not leveling him, wait for Primal Diamond patterns for my JCer because I'm not leveling him (though I did get one when I opened up Pandaria on him so I could visit the JC trainer in Jade Forest), etc., but I discovered the Trillium and Living Steel (not to mention the Primal Diamond) 'mutes so I'm good for BSmithing and can feed myself materials with no cost to me except the time it takes to mine ore and plant Songbells on my farm for MoHs to make SoHs (which I will open up tomorrow, thank you Human racial). I will be selling my products at fairly reasonable prices, the major markup being the time I put into my efforts.

I can still burn the epic cloth CD everyday on the tailor who is parked at Halfhill until I play him, I can burn my JCer's CD everyday until i play him, and I can burn my scribe's CD everyday until I play her.

And I don't particularly care that this gives me an advantage over the lazy or those who just don't want to do it because they only focus on one toon. This is an advantage my style of play gives me. Too bad for you if you do not choose to play this way.

As for the Spirit question of the thread: invest 30 minutes everyday at Halfhill to grind out your Tillers rep, get Revered, plant Songbells, grow your Motes, harvest them, and stop crying.

As of this morning, I had seven Spirits and four Motes on this guy simply from questing and doing dailies - AND I ALREADY SPENT TEN TO MAKE THE WEAPONS I HAVE CURRENTLY EQUIPPED - before I bought some tanking patterns in SoSS for myself ... then I sent Ghost Iron bars to my alchemist to 'mute for Living Steel, and crafted my pieces. At some point today, I'll make some more to make some coin.

There is NO problem with the Spirits of Harmony if you put some effort into acquiring them and stop expecting everything to be given to you - and I say that as a person who was VERY MUCH against the idea of them being BoP vs BoA before the Mists release.
Edited by Minastir on 10/7/2012 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
10/05/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Elementalism
I would LOVE to have a tiger staff, but I simply cannot work out any way I could realistically make one beside leveling that character and farming motes with it.

Use a shield. You're not a real shaman if you use a staff as resto/ele. Also, if you can't use spirits for your profession, cash 'em in for golden lotuses. 2 days of planting songbells = enough flasks for a week!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
My sights on the 476 caster staff. Rather than lvl up the Druid, I took up inscription on my lock. Because I want that damn staff. There is nothing lazy about any of this. Infact, I work harder than those with tons of Alts with all professions.

All I truly hope for is that Blizzard doesn't leave my professions on the dust again... With no renewing schematics for the entire xpac, like in cata.

Lol, yeah you work harder than everyone else, I'm sure. *rolls eyes* You do realize that comparing power leveling a profession to make a weapon (a few hours and some gold) vs leveling an alt to 90 and farming motes (probably 20+ hours)...power leveling the profession is actually MORE lazy, right?
Edited by Enví on 10/7/2012 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Did people QQ this hard about Chaos Orbs in Cataclysm? Spirit of Harmony is this expansion's equivalent of Chaos Orbs, except you don't even have to run heroic dungeons to get them. You'll have 2-3 spirit of harmony just from leveling from 85-90, whereas in Cata, guess how many Chaos Orbs you got leveling from 80-85? Yep, 0.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
10/07/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Pogobear
Did people QQ this hard about Chaos Orbs in Cataclysm? Spirit of Harmony is this expansion's equivalent of Chaos Orbs, except you don't even have to run heroic dungeons to get them. You'll have 2-3 spirit of harmony just from leveling from 85-90, whereas in Cata, guess how many Chaos Orbs you got leveling from 80-85? Yep, 0.

I had to make the richest person on my server wait 2 days so I could craft his BoE chest and gloves - even though he can buy any mats he wants. I have an ORDER list of people to craft BoEs for.

Know what the difference is? In Cata I could sit down with some undergeared guildies and grind out 5mans, picking up what orbs I can. I'm actively playing the game and accomplishing something MORE than grinding.

In MoP, I spend 3-4 hours grinding motes just to deliver an epic to someone and do it again. I don't mind Spirits being the Chaos Orb of MoP, I just wish they'd give us more ways to get them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I like the way they are doing this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I had to ponder this one a bit. I hated cata professions, since chaos orbs were only awarded to people that sat around SWC/ORG waiting for their instance, talk bout "rewarding the lazy" whereas the people out in the world for RP, PVP, and questing got nothing. So this ties right in to my style of play and I'm admittedly biased in a sense, however, looking at the larger picture, it accomplishes Blizzard's goal of getting the lvl 90's out of whatever capital city their parked in for the duration of the expac and either doing dailies or grinding out rep.

On the issue of multiple toons w/ maxed professions, I might agree with this but I'm not sure Blizzard does. I heard someone say last spring, either Ghostcrawler or someone else that the days of making multiple alts are over because for most casual players it's just not practical. That rationale seems to have continued with their line of thinking regarding the current expac w/ boa achieves, mounts, pets, etc. Something that was predicted would never happen just a few years ago. But times have changed, and Blizzard has adapted the game to reflect it. Given these trends, perhaps the only two profession per character rule will get lifted, I always thought it should be at least 3 because there are more of them. Or, and I know this will be controversial, find some way to link our alts and professions together.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
10/07/2012 11:10 AMPosted by Insertion

I had to make the richest person on my server wait 2 days so I could craft his BoE chest and gloves - even though he can buy any mats he wants. I have an ORDER list of people to craft BoEs for.

Know what the difference is? In Cata I could sit down with some undergeared guildies and grind out 5mans, picking up what orbs I can. I'm actively playing the game and accomplishing something MORE than grinding.

In MoP, I spend 3-4 hours grinding motes just to deliver an epic to someone and do it again. I don't mind Spirits being the Chaos Orb of MoP, I just wish they'd give us more ways to get them.

Then the argument is simply to up the drop rate.

I think it wouldn't be so bad for bosses in heroic dungeons to be able to drop 3+ motes perhaps. I dunno.

For me, I just find them easier to grind out than Chaos orbs. With Chaos orbs, running dungeons was the ONLY option. That's great if you're a raider in a raid guild and you're chain running heroic dungeons non-stop anyway, because you're getting your 463 gear, as well as a mat you need to craft even better gear.

But there are SO many other things to do in WoW. And right now, I really like that I can essentially passively farm the motes while doing all of the other things I want to do. I get motes while I do Tillers dailies. I get motes while I do Eternal Blossom dailies. I get motes while I do Serpent riders dailies. I get motes while I do Anglers dailies. I get motes while I do Klaxxi dailies. I get motes while I quest through Dread Wastes to finish Loremaster. I get motes while I run dungeons.

If the population as a whole is earning Spirits of Harmony at a significantly slower rate than Chaos Orbs were earned during Cata, then maybe Blizzard can/should up the drop rate.

And like I said, making heroic bosses drop 3+ motes at a time, especially the final boss in the dungeon, could significantly increase the farm rate, as well as help out raiders who actually need the raid gear, so I don't think this is the worst idea. But on the whole, I really like how the motes work. I don't feel like I have to farm dungeons to have profession mats, so I run dungeons when I feel like running them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm one of those with ineffective aoe as a subtlety rogue, instead I found a cave where the mobs are plentiful and respawn very quickly, I tap nodes in the meantime. So I agree, there are many different ways to get SoH in short order, not sure about the drop rate though, an increase in the rate might get the 90s out of the capital city, but not much further than the main gate, they will simply tap the nearest mob and be done with it. If Blizz really wanted to get stingy they could have designed them to only drop in certain zones, I really think their being quite lenient on this compared to the chaos orb nightmare.

Edit to add: the chaos orbs only dropping in dungeons and raids was the sole reason I did not choose a crafting profession because I knew I would not be able to craft epics w/out the orbs, and I do not like instances and raids. So I stayed as a farmer the entire expansion and made plenty of gold. I'm still a farmer, but now I'm at least considering taking up crafting on an alt. I agree though that bosses can still drop them, perhaps two or three rather than the one that gets dropped from trash mobs.
Edited by Jeremaiah on 10/7/2012 11:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
There must be something wrong with my 3 90s, between them they have picked up 5. That's it. I think it's rediculous. They brought back all the stuff everyone hated about WoW and was removed for a reason. Quests with crappy drop rates, jacked up flight paths, running 20 minutes to turn inquests that give half XP and have no follow ons, BOP mats, etc. One step forward, 2 giant leaps back.

It's 4 Xpacs later and tailoring, blacksmithing and LWing still suck. You can only make gear 30 lvls lower than you until maxxed and even still average quest garbage is better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Well, the problem for Blizz was they were heavily criticized during cata for making the game too easy for casuals by dumbing down the talent trees, awarding rep via the tabard system, etc. As we've said earlier in the thread, it rewarded only one particular playstyle and discouraged players from never leaving the capital cities.

However, I concur that the crafting professions are tedious. I tried it once, tailoring on my mage during Lich King and stopped when I got the flying carpet mount. It just took massive amounts of cloth to get anywhere, I was looking at weeks to months before hitting level cap and once I did I'd no longer need the items I could craft; yet farming professions could be leveled in a day. Skinning was another one I've tried because it always seemed like a no brainer profession since your already having to kill the mob anyway, yet I've never leveled it outside of Elwynn, again, tedium.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I'm one of those with ineffective aoe as a subtlety rogue, instead I found a cave where the mobs are plentiful and respawn very quickly, I tap nodes in the meantime. So I agree, there are many different ways to get SoH in short order, not sure about the drop rate though, an increase in the rate might get the 90s out of the capital city, but not much further than the main gate, they will simply tap the nearest mob and be done with it. If Blizz really wanted to get stingy they could have designed them to only drop in certain zones, I really think their being quite lenient on this compared to the chaos orb nightmare.

Edit to add: the chaos orbs only dropping in dungeons and raids was the sole reason I did not choose a crafting profession because I knew I would not be able to craft epics w/out the orbs, and I do not like instances and raids. So I stayed as a farmer the entire expansion and made plenty of gold. I'm still a farmer, but now I'm at least considering taking up crafting on an alt. I agree though that bosses can still drop them, perhaps two or three rather than the one that gets dropped from trash mobs.

The major difference you knew that the orb was a 100% drop in the dungeons, and if went with people that had no crafting professions, they were yours.

The motes are an awful drop rate, I don't care what anyone says, I've been doing every daily since 90, and I've only obtained a few spirits.

The motes seem to drop more from the lower level zones than the zones where the dailies actually are.

The drop rate needs an increase, Chaos Orbs and Wrath Orbs was much easier than this system.

Well, maybe it is just bad luck then. I've never had much luck at being in the right place at the right time when it came to rares, yet I know people that have "stumbled" on Poseidus or he spawns right next to them while they mana up two or three times now, whereas I've camped spawn sites for days on end.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]