City Exploit Hotfixed

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Priest
10/08/2012 12:32 AMPosted by Syrenis
Just curious, but can't they track these people by their IP addresses? I mean, I can do it on my websites and stuff and then you can use the IP Tracker to narrow down to where people are down to their location's address. Shouldn't Blizz have the technology to do this as well? Creepy, yes, but there's no law against it...

Not if they were hiding behind a proxy and they'd have been stupid not to. Which still doesn't mean they're impossible to find. It just means it's more of a headache to follow the trail and get the cooperation of any service they went through to stack their proxies.
10/08/2012 02:16 AMPosted by Kroxion
Just curious, but can't they track these people by their IP addresses? I mean, I can do it on my websites and stuff and then you can use the IP Tracker to narrow down to where people are down to their location's address. Shouldn't Blizz have the technology to do this as well? Creepy, yes, but there's no law against it...

Hackers can easily conceal IP address, they are hackers. That's what they do.

little story for you; my bro is a geek. full out. has several servers and what not for CoD.. people disruptively hack his servers hiding behind many proxey servers.. he freeks each and every one of them out, by telling them their near exact address, what is in there back yard, and even calls them up. proxies are useless for hiding your location and ip. just takes someone who's smart enough to peal back the layers
90 Night Elf Druid
Vasparian
90 Night Elf Hunter
Monsoon Mafia

There is a video on you tube of a guy that isn't affected by the hack, is laughing with some one else while he runs around, and they laugh harder as each person dies. You should check into youtube videos.

There was a video on Youtube of a lvl 1 priest keyboard turning, targeting people and one shotting them.
90 Tauren Paladin
10/07/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Xanaa
Taking it very seriously huh? Why dont you BAN THEM then? There shouldn't BE an investigation, its public knowledge! You can see the names in the game and the videos! Maybe if you got off your duffs and watched some, you could see who it is?

1. They were using trial accounts behind proxies, so they can't get their mains from that.

2. Even if they do find and ban their mains, nothing says they won't buy another copy of the game when it's on sale and get right back to it.

They can do something called a MAC address ban which would require purchasing a whole new machine in addition to the new copy of the game
90 Human Death Knight
They can do something called a MAC address ban which would require purchasing a whole new machine in addition to the new copy of the game

1. Right-click "My Computer" (just "Computer" in Vista) on the desktop or in the start menu
2. click "Manage" or "Device Manager"
3. on the left, click "Device Manager"
4. expand "Network Adapters" and find your wireless adapter
5. double-click the network adapter
6. click to the "Advanced" tab
7. Scroll through the choices on the left, and see if it lists "Locally Administered MAC", "Locally Administered Address" or something similar - if/when you find it, click it.
8. On the right, it will have 2 'bubbles' to click - change it to the blank one so you can enter your own address
9. pick a new address at random - you can ONLY use numbers 0-9 and letters a-f. For example, enter "00ab12cd34ef"
10. click apply/ok until everything is closed
11. try to reconnect - it should act like a new/different computer so it'll be unblocked.
Lol the things people will say
Edited by Netbug on 10/8/2012 4:48 AM PDT
34 Human Rogue
um most PC's and routers, you can manually change a MAC.. its easy... if your NIC doesn't have a setting to you can registry edit.
90 Gnome Mage
10/08/2012 12:32 AMPosted by Syrenis

Likely it was done from a computer lounge, game emporium, or using a proxy server--a public computer (or) where the IP leads nowhere. Perhaps outside the US where actions of this type are not crimes at all?

Until it is discovered who and where, it would be unwise to ban the account; even then, if they are unable to action it, it may be wiser to leave it up. At least Blizzard would know where to look next time.

There is no easy fix--as bots--for every lock there is a key.
34 Human Rogue
They dont need to buy anything. You can download vanilla wow or at a few 7-11's here you can buy it for like $5.00. Hell they dont even need to uninstall it, they can get a new email and make a new account in about 10 minutes?

And yes hes right, PC's and routers can manually change a MAC.. You also wont see a pc MAC through a router (if its doing its job). If your NIC doesn't have a setting to you can registry edit.
90 Human Paladin
IP tracking is pretty impressive but its limited to the terminal the hacker used. If I use an internet cafe, even after 7 proxies, the trail ends there. If i'm on a public wireless network, the trail ends with the router.
34 Human Rogue
you guys keep talking about the down time of the servers being a crime. the servers were probably brought down BY BLIZZARD to hot fix it. that could happen with anything. hell I didnt even know about it and I play one of the most populated servers there is.
90 Human Warlock
Why doesn't Blizz go after W*WPLus?

Just a thought lol
90 Orc Hunter
10/07/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Dotnet
Must of been a group of bm hunters

HAHAHAH so true
72 Blood Elf Warlock
Being in another time zone I just skipped from this disaster. And that looks like someone (or a group?) is focusing on the MoP activities. Are they just simply jealous or hope some real challenge because WOW gains players again?
90 Night Elf Warrior
Scum. Probably won't get anything done, but person involved should be banned, or just go ahead an IP ban, won't help if he/she knows how to hid his IP.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Guys guys, you know they aren't allowed to say what actions they take. That's been a long standing policy. All punitive actions are private between Blizz and the persons being punished. If they come out themselves and say "yeah we got permabanned" that's something else.

But use your brains. I mean. What else would likely happen? A three hour ban? lol
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's things they can do. Not sure if IP is one of them. The one way I know of to keep people from returning I won't say here lest I get in trouble, or people use the knowledge adversely.

Hacking is becoming bad all over the internet. It's a constant cat and mouse game. More security measures are taken, hackers find new ways around them.
90 Human Paladin
they are speaking German in the videos on youtube and apparently find it extremely funny. maybe blizz can contact youtube for that user's info that posted the video or at least the IP and find out who they are and take it from there?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]