Pet Battle: Battle Master Fights

90 Draenei Shaman
OK im finding it a little unfair that Blizzard feels the need to cheat in order for them to have the upper hand in pet battle fights. I have hit lvl 25 of a number of animals for the fights but when it comes to the pet masters the mechanics of the fights are unfair. Major Payne for example at the Argent tournament, his bear can both hibernate and stun, our battle bears can't , we must choose between those two abilities ( his bear did both of these abilities in one fight, not different ones). His mechano strider also crits on every hit for over 700 dmg..how are you supposed to compete with a crit every hit......Blizzard you need to make the battles a little more realistic. Not one of my lvl 25 animals can take the Major due to the mechanics of the animals have both abilities and not having to choose one or the other. the Northrend fights all were very similar to this and the animals had the upper hand in all of them.

Oh and id like to add the my undead bear and my robo chicken do not always come back to life after the first kill which they are supposed to and that makes the fights also slightly on the advantage of team Blizz

Also why are they not resetting for the dailies yet?
Edited by Kahya on 10/7/2012 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Just finally beat this guy and I have to echo similar sentiments. In fact, from what I see, the entire pet battle system is chock full of silly penalties applied to the player (but never the scripted opponents) for what appears to be no reason what-so-ever, other than to just make it a pain in the neck.

If an opponent is slightly faster than yours, it gets 2 turns to start with, another turn when you select your move (before it happens on screen), and an extra TWO TURNS if you swap out a pet...even for a faster one!

In the battle OP talked about, that bear was able to dodge a spider leech while in hibernation. How the hell does someone dodge stuff in their sleep! Come on! FFS get your act together on this would ya? Geesh!

But honestly, I do love the pet battles, lol :P

Added to that, the whole thing is clunky in terms of inputs being cancelled to wait for upcoming animations, and also the interface makes even a default UI with no addons flake out after every battle. I have to reset with alt Z every single time or else my bags appear under my task bars and I cannot access my belongings. I could understand if this last glitch was happening in special UI's that people download as an addon but how in the world did the default ever leave beta testing with that going on?

Lastly...and this one is so cheesy. It seems someone felt the need to impose a three minute CD on reviving pets (even if you go to a trainer) - this is separate from the normal longer CD -when logging from one toon to another. This applies even if the CD on your pet revive was already up before you logged. This is no accident. I had a stable master tell me to come back in a few minutes because she was helping mend a baby dragon whelp. WTH! Someone got paid to script this ridiculous stuff into the game for what possible reason? So I wouldn't be able to log over, port to Dalaran and heal my pets to fight a squirrel before someone already there? Geesh, blizz, if you can't make it read what we had, then set it to zero. Not some arbitrary thing like three minutes, ack!
Reply Quote
61 Undead Death Knight
I'm currently on Stone Cold Trixxy, and I really really don't understand how it's even marginally fair that her stupid bird can hit for thousands of hp. This, on top of the dragon taking a few hundred points with aoe effects from pets that aren't fighting yet.

I am at a loss as to how I can possibly compete with getting hit and killed for 5k, then 3k. I doubt it would matter what level my pets are at that point.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
what you need for this fight is an elemental and you need a spectral tiger cub to 1 shot that bear. my spectral tiger cub crits for 2.5k dmg. not even legendary mop pets can survive him.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Im glad other ppl are seeing these cheats, I thought I was going crazy. Now I can kinda understand why the pet masters do this. Obviously if you have seen them before or know which pets they are going to use, you could set up the perfect counters. I also really enjoy the pet battle system, but these cheating pet masters just seems like bad design. As it is a win with any of the lvl 25 pet masters seems more like luck then skill. I would much rather win via skill instead of the slim chance that the planets will line up and I dont get cheated against.......too much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
SSC
If you prepare first and have a team to counter the master, the fights are eazy. Know which pets they start with and pick the one you want to fight, if you donn't get it, leave and start over.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
12/13/2012 05:11 AMPosted by Genada
If you prepare first and have a team to counter the master, the fights are eazy. Know which pets they start with and pick the one you want to fight, if you donn't get it, leave and start over.

This is exactly right. This system was designed so that you would level multiple pets up to win against a variety of trainers. With the right combination you can take down any and all of the master tamers, but you need to dedicate yourself to leveling your pets and being able to swap different types in and out.

It also helps to have pets with a varied movepool. For example the waveling has aquatic and elemental moves which makes it fairly good against elementals as well. I was able to use my one waveling to destroy the master tamer in deepholm. Several trainers use dragonkin pets so you should have a good humanoid pet leveled up too. Most people use the flayer.

If you have a bad pet combo it does come down to luck. If you have a good pet combo it comes down to skill.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How many flekking pets do I have to level to beat Northrend level pets with my Pandaria level pets? An army of what? How many, be specific, because I'm about 7 years tired of your buggy playing formats and cheats by Blizzard so that an average player can't level their toons or pets and go in and fight in a fair fight. I call bullcrap. I think I'll find another game. There is always a last straw and Blizzard has lost over a couple of million players.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The answer is...2. If you were smart enough to look around on the forum and read the thread on how to 2v3 tamers for xp you'd be done easily.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
01/07/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Littlemynx
How many flekking pets do I have to level to beat Northrend level pets with my Pandaria level pets? An army of what? How many, be specific, because I'm about 7 years tired of your buggy playing formats and cheats by Blizzard so that an average player can't level their toons or pets and go in and fight in a fair fight. I call bullcrap. I think I'll find another game. There is always a last straw and Blizzard has lost over a couple of million players.

They are not cheating on these battles, you are just not using the correct counters.

Blizzard has not lost 2 million players over pet battles, I would argue that most of their lost subs came from the 9 months of no content at the end of Cataclysm.

A strong mech pet will destroy his bear (Fluxfire Feline, Robo Cub), a Phoenix Hatchling/Fel Flame will murder his mech (immolate+conflag), and an Aqua Strider with cleansing rain/pump will beat easily beat his elemental (or any good aquatic).

Once you have more pets, they become much easier, and then you can level pets off the trainers themselves. I recommend an Anusibith Idol - sandstorm is great against the stampede/dots pets, which there are a fair number of with the trainers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Major Payne is the hardest one to beat, hands-down. Because of the Bear.

The usual cookie-cutter answers to this are:

"You just need a Fluxfire Feline." or insert perfect counter.

I think these answers fall short because no one should have to tame a specific (and overpowered to boot) pet just to counter something PvE. If something has only one counter, it's not a strategy game, as pokemon is supposed to be. It's rock-paper-scissors, with the emphasis on scissors just because it's made of metal and gets to be OP and tear up rock too.

With over five hundred battle pets in the game, there is no excuse to be forced to have a raised Fluxfire. I don't and I never will. I consider myself accomplished in pet battles despite the fact that I don't PvP. I have everything on farm-for-exp mode, except Payne and the Earth Spirit (because of the last pet being the most hard-hitting, it's do-able but just not worth it to me) And this fight is extremely difficult, more so than any other fight.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
01/07/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Littlemynx
How many flekking pets do I have to level to beat Northrend level pets with my Pandaria level pets?

For starters, Northrend trainers are pretty high level; Major Payne is 25 and I think the others are lvl 24.

Your only max level pet is a Cinder Kitten, so I'm really not sure why you're surprised you can't beat them...

I'm surprised you beat the Blood Knight in Outland with your pet list to be honest.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I thought the dragon guy in Northrend was tougher, personally. Dor the Wall in Jade Forest is far tougher to kill than the Bear (though he does far less damage), in my opinion.

If you think Major Payne is bad, wait until you get to the Thundering Spirit. He has an elemental beast rat.

01/07/2013 04:21 PMPosted by Aliandrin

I didn't even have one the first time I beat him. I think I used my Jade Ooze. Don't get tied in to "I need to match the trainer pet for pet with direct counters according to type". Match them for abilities. Take some losses and learn what order they use abilities in. As was said, these fights ARE scripted, meaning that Reflect, Feign Death, Burrow, Dive, and Lift Off are all extra powerful, because if you're attentive, even "unpredictable" abilities can be anticipated and countered to great effect.
Reply Quote
Oh common and like the Pokemon games weren't full of stupid !@#$ too?

-85 chance to hit?! Oh well 10th times a charm!
- I need this to land, so it wont and ill get crit
- tick, tick, tick POP awe... asleep and at 1% with 50 tries try again
- Hit ability has a 50% chance to hit? more like 100...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm beyond irritated also over the daily pet quests at lvl 25. This started out to be fun.. but now it's just a drain and a real headache maker. I'm a huge pet collector and also a long time player but I think I'm going to give it a rest until they normalize it. The BS factor involved is just too much at least for me to deal with. With over half of the players supposedly doing the pet battles, they are going to have to do something with it or yes.. lose subscribers. I know for me, this game doesn't have much else going for it right now.. so really a bummer.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Tamer Pets have higher stats + better movesets to balance the fact that you can pick hard counters to them (and honestly, some of them need better AI to boot).

Whenever a real explanation comes in for why we need 3 layers of RNG (Fixed Miss rate, Dodge, and Crits) I'll have a good laugh, but honestly the fixed Miss + Dodge should go from a turn based game where 1 turn makes or breaks a lot of fights (not to mention that its the equivalent of getting a 4 round CD move for free).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The master tamers are just that, Masters. They have access to difficult pets because that's the point. I know I had to go out and level a few extras to 25 to get through Northrend.

They're not impossible, though and you don't need perfect counters. You just need to go through your pets and try things that you think might work. Part of the fun in going through the trainers is finding strategies to beat them the first time when you don't have a bunch of level 25s who can easy mode it (Imo). And yes, I now just faceroll through all of them with FFF and Anubis, but I'm leveling multiple pets a day. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

I think these answers fall short because no one should have to tame a specific (and overpowered to boot) pet just to counter something PvE

Why not? Is it too hard to tame specific pet for specific fight? When I had a problem with last 2 pet trainers in Pandaria I tamed what I need. Not a big deal really.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Major Payne is the hardest one to beat, hands-down. Because of the Bear.

The usual cookie-cutter answers to this are:

I think these answers fall short because no one should have to tame a specific (and overpowered to boot) pet just to counter something PvE. If something has only one counter, it's not a strategy game, as pokemon is supposed to be. It's rock-paper-scissors, with the emphasis on scissors just because it's made of metal and gets to be OP and tear up rock too.

With over five hundred battle pets in the game, there is no excuse to be forced to have a raised Fluxfire. ...

FFF is going to be nerfed soon anyway, so giving that as an ideal counter was a bit silly.

It is helpful to use an appropriate counter but there are whole families to choose from, not just one or two pets. I did all the trainers, including spirit tamers, before I had any of the recommended pets. I still don't have Anubisath Idol and have never used a Flayer or any other humanoid against the trainers.

I recommend getting rare breed 4s of Shimmershell Snail and Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling, these 2 are easy to farm and are in most of my trainer teams. Good alternatives are any of the water striders/skimmers and a stoned Yellow Moth, (highest attack of any of the moths). My favourite mech pet is Darkmoon Zeppelin, well worth getting if you feel up to collecting 90 prize tickets.

Don't feel you have to rush through the trainer quests. Take your time and have a bit of fun catching and levelling pets in your spare time. The trainers will wait, and one day you'll find them all (usually) easy.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
12/13/2012 05:19 AMPosted by Alona
If you have a bad pet combo it does come down to luck. If you have a good pet combo it comes down to skill.

Don't get me wrong, knowledge of the fights definitely helps, but sometimes bad luck can kill a better skilled opponent. I one-shot the tamers (all of them) almost every day. I had a run yesterday where I got dodged, missed, and blocked literally like 12 times in a row.

I lost.

No big deal, I have like 140 bandages in my bags, but it's rarely JUST a case of skill.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]