Would it be bad...

25 Night Elf Priest
When you leveled, that if you made some of your quests canon, like in your characters history. Nothing like: "Zythelria has killed Cookie from Deadmines", etc.

What I'm saying is for an example, if I wanted to put the priest quest where you met Tyrande Whisperwind and had to go to Shadowfang keep..could that be considered canon?

All answers appreciated!
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Avoid meeting lore characters in a one-on-one situation, especially if they are asking you to go on an important mission.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
We're generally just the grunts in the army so if there was a task for us to do, it would be passed on down the chain of command until it reaches us.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
If at all possible try to avoid being involved with a major lore character. If you met them once and shook their hand, fantastic. If they sent you out to kill Illidan's third cousin, that's bad. If you were a part of a major event, such as the destruction of Theramore, I'd find that much more believable. But if you call off that you've been to near every event in the last 50 years of game time I'd say you're stepping into extremely dangerous territory.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Like the three above me, one on one conact with major lore characters such as Tyranda is a no-no in RP, and should not be done.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
You could change it so you were asked by a staff maker to get the materials, but not TYrande.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
@Zethelria, I know it seems like the game is making you a hero, and in a sense it is. But as far as rp is concerned, you are one of millions. If everyone one of us said we talked to Tyrande and killed (insert bad guy) or whatever, you would have a chorus of millions of people saying "I did that too!"

And you seem to have a misunderstanding of the word "canon". It actually means something that the game developers have put into the game. Their lore, their npcs, their world. We are priviledged to join in the story, but we are not and CANNOT ever be major lore characters or part of the game's "canon" simply because we create the character and not blizzard.
Reply Quote
23 Worgen Warlock
I'm going to be That One Person that disagrees. I think that, if you can RP it realistically and without being to pretentious about it, there's nothing wrong with RPing having meet Major Lore Character once or twice. Monarchs and leaders in a medieval-ish setting are not actually as closed off as we think. Rulers, particularly good ones, often make it a point to try and interact with the "common" people in various settings pretty regularly, so as to remain in touch with their subjects.

I mean, sure Tyrande isn't walking around chatting it up at taverns or anything, but she tends to temple affairs and religious matters in addition to her ruling over the night elves, it's not complete out of the realm of possibly that your character could have had an audience at some point.
Reply Quote
I would agree with Alyane sorta, you aren't going to be sent on no huge mission by one, but you can say you shook hands with her and MAYBE held a conversation... But people still frown upon it if you do so avoid major lore characters

Like with the battle for the final confrontation with death wing I say I was at Wyrmrest fighting while the super heroes (whoever they are) went to kill him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I agree with Alyane and Sarinda.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Edit: One minute...

I answered two threads with the one post and posted it in the wrong thread... -_-

Essentially, As for your specific situation, refer to Istella:

10/07/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Istella
Avoid meeting lore characters in a one-on-one situation, especially if they are asking you to go on an important mission.

However, in some situations I would allow one-on-one meetings with lore characters, but it would be specific, rare, and usually not too important.

So in conclusion, I'm sorry, we as a community can help you with each specific scenario and offer our advice on what will slide and what wont... but ultimately you are just surveying opinions. It's up to you to test the waters of your realm, try out new things, and don't be afraid to persist if someone tears you down. If you're disrupting others, stop, but if you run into the occasional dropkick, ignore them and play the game how you want to.

I confused myself... but the essential logic is this idea is a case-by-case thing...
Edited by Meep on 10/8/2012 1:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
10/08/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Alyane
I mean, sure Tyrande isn't walking around chatting it up at taverns or anything, but she tends to temple affairs and religious matters in addition to her ruling over the night elves, it's not complete out of the realm of possibly that your character could have had an audience at some point.

I'm going to leave this here:

10/08/2012 08:29 AMPosted by Marasalle
But as far as rp is concerned, you are one of millions. If everyone one of us said we talked to Tyrande and killed (insert bad guy) or whatever, you would have a chorus of millions of people saying "I did that too!"

It's possible that Kass has had a conversation with Tyrande, Velen, <insert lore character here> but it's not probable. Even in the days when English kings and queens actually had some power, their grand tours of their country would only happen once a year and even back then, they were surrounded by guards making it hard for the average joe to have a conversation with them.
Reply Quote
55 Undead Death Knight
Actually, back then many medieval kings and rulers, besides the more slavic ones, are Gaulic, (back in BC so not really here) wouldn't really show their faces. The event of an assassination happened often, and sicknesss happened often too. When they did, they were in large parades with thousands of guard. If you saw them, it was only for a second waving their hand at everyone and not looking at you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If I had my pick of the litter, i'd go with the Quel'Delar chain.

Realistically, some other questchain in Wrath. Maybe the Icecrown intro.
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
Little quests are fine to tie into your character's story, imo. Like say Bob the Farmer from Westfall asked you to go collect his stolen grain from the Transients, that'd be fantastic. You CAN, like everyone said, had a small meeting with a major lore character that is in a realistic setting. Like you met Tyrande in the temple once and held a conversation about something, or shook Varian's hand. Ect. Little things like that are A-OK. But if they have a mission they need carried out or something, they'll ask someone they know, trust and see on a regular basis.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If I had my pick of the litter, i'd go with the Quel'Delar chain.

Realistically, some other questchain in Wrath. Maybe the Icecrown intro.

Weapons, while not human, do come down to the same thing, it shouldn't be done. Quel'Delar was wielded by a Lore character, so if you were to suddenly say "WELL I'M THE NEW WEILDER OF QUEL'DELAR" then others are gonna complain, and i'm not just talking about others who have the same blade.

It turns into the same kind of argument as you would arguing about who killed Illidan and who helped kill the Lich King.

10/09/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Yevuk
Like you met Tyrande in the temple once and held a conversation about something, or shook Varian's hand. Ect. Little things like that are A-OK. But if they have a mission they need carried out or something, they'll ask someone they know, trust and see on a regular basis.

Even things like that can get mixed up quite quickly. Saying you held a conversation with Tyranda and then boasting about it to everyone you meet is gonna raise red flags. The only way small things like that would work is if they are barely brought up or just go unnoticed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]