Opinion on WW monk(PVP)from a 2.2k experience

85 Goblin Priest
Iv been playing WOW since day 1 vanilla with some couples of month breaks. I only play this game to do arena and rated bgs, iv reached 2.2k rating on a warrior,dk, 2150 on my mage and 2k on my disc priest. After thousands of arena and bgs, i can say i have a vast experience of PVP.

So for the Xpac i decided to roll a monk to try something new, i choosed Windwalker spec because i want to do dps this seasons. I came to read on the forum a couple of times and i was beginning to be worry about WW viability in arena or bg, most of the threads are about how WW have low dps and stuff.

So i wanted to test it myself, i played some bgs at level 69 et 74 which is my current level. My verdict: WW is a lot of fun. It has some flaws but its not bad like many are saying here.

WW has amazing survavibility with spell like Chi wave, Expel harms, touch of kama or fortifying brew, diffuse magic, etc...

I also like the mobility with roll and flying serpent kick. CC is a problem but it is for all class and blizzard need to revamp the DR table. Tiger Lust talent is a must to remove roots.

I have found that it is a waste of chi to use tiger palm in pvp. DONT USE THIS SPELL IN PVP. You will never be able to keep the 3 stacks. Instead, i have replace it with Chi wave which gives a nice self healing and a moderate dps. I beleive Chi wave is bug cause it is suppose to bounce 7 times but most of times it bounce only 4 times.

I'm always in the top 3 dps in bgs because i keep my self alive with all my self healing so i never stop to dps. However, i think WW need a little dps boost because we lack burst.

Jab needs to do more damage cause it use 40 energy and right now expel harms does more damage...

Fist of fury is a fun attack, its easier to use in pvp that i though but it lack burst. Boost damage or allow to cast it while moving.

Blackout kick: A little weak. Need a Little dps increase.

Rising Sun Kick: Low dps for a 8 seconds cooldown attack. Reduce cooldown to 5 seconds or increase dps by a good amount.

Flying serpent kick: I love that attack, i feel like im bruce lee.

So yeah WW is fun and has very good survavibility. The cons is low burst potential which will be a serious handicap in arena. I think with a dps increase in some attacks WW will be perfectly fine this seasons.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Yea agree on some stuff

Jab def needs a dmg increase like our auto attack is beating it like comon!
Tiger Palm hmmm well thats my first thing i always want to get to 3 stacks imo your not wasting your chi because you get a free tiger palm and its dmg is increased also refreshing your tiger palm, so i have no problems with that.
Rising Sun Kick tbh doesnt need changing i'm getting prity big crits of that like 250k ones.
I have no problem with dps in terms of monks, but only little problem is that when you want to get in melee range of a cast e.g frost mage it gets a bit tough because sometime roll over shoots the target and then you miss out, but when you do reach them imo its gg to me because if got tonnes of things to stop him from going anywhere.

Yes ino your opinion
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Pretty much this but I think paralyze should have baseline range.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So here are some things I agree with and some I don't:

10/07/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Joepitbull
I also like the mobility with roll and flying serpent kick.

I love these, but there are two HUGE issues with these to abilities.

1st: Since they are streamline abilities, you can't control yourself once you have cast the ability, which isn't too bad, but you can easily over shoot or under shoot your target.

2nd: CC completely stops you from doing it. For example, let's say you are closing a gap on a Warlock and you decide to roll towards him, if he fears you, it completely stop your roll and you run around feared. This go with FSK as well. If they were to make it to where you keep going and then you go through the CC process like a warriors charge, I think they would be much better abilities.

I have found that it is a waste of chi to use tiger palm in pvp. DONT USE THIS SPELL IN PVP. You will never be able to keep the 3 stacks.

I completely disagree with this. Once you get your mastery, keeping TP stacks gets MUCH easier to maintain. Besides, completely ignoring a free 30% is silly. Yes, Monks take a while to get rolling in DPS, but once they get there, they stay there. Especially in Arena, if you are training a target, it won't be difficult in the slightest to keep those stacks up. Peeling, will take more timing for controlled burst.

So i wanted to test it myself, i played some bgs at level 69 et 74 which is my current level.

Now I'm sure you know, it isn't the best thing to compare to max level PvP with lower level PvP due to a plethora of variables. I have yet to hit max level as well, but even currently when I do the occasional BG I notice a difference in DPS compared to other classes.

burst potential which will be a serious handicap in arena.

I agree with this until the point where TP is stacked on a trained target and you have TB ready for use. 20% Bonus damage plus another 10% from RSK is quite a bit of damage output, but I like said previously, since I am not max level and running WW in arena I am going off of low level exp in BGs.

Blackout kick: A little weak. Need a Little dps increase.

Rising Sun Kick: Low dps for a 8 seconds cooldown attack. Reduce cooldown to 5 seconds or increase dps by a good amount.

I agree with these both. They could use a slight damage buff, but I honestly don't think RSK needs a lower cooldown.

Also, you can't forget the 4 piece allowing you to use Death Touch on players. That will help substantially in arena I think.

Edit: Not to mention if you pick up the increased Paralyze range in your talents, that can completely turn fights around if you use it properly, coupling it with the Pandaren racial is good as well.
Edited by Narcrush on 10/7/2012 9:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
the death touch is pretty wonky tbh 10% hp goes away so fast anyways most of the time you could just kill them with something else anyways, Its nice when ppl pop a defensive at low hp or vs warriors but the range to use it is just so low.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
My thoughts: Rsk i would like to see lowered cd to 6sec (on par wit MS) but it does hit hard at higher lvls, same with BoK. TP is a must inf act its the first thing i do when going in on a target, usually its (from arena standpoint) jab->jab->TPx2->rsk->xuen+trinket fight for a bit to get TB up but aside from that mastery will give u the 3rd tp, u can also use the 3 right there and go straight into a FoF (also hits harder at higher lvls, about 80k when none crit for me over 4sec and stunned during the entire thing) if they allowed FoF to be used while moving they would take away the stunning, and the 2 piece give it 5 yards which make a suprisingly large difference. my main problem is that i feel fairly squishie, tho im still trying to figure out my healing talent and my 75 teir talents for optimal 2s'ing. I agree wit jab being to low damage, either needs less energy cost or more damage, seing a 21k crit make me cry inside. aside from that im loving the class, def my new main
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/07/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Augiddin
the death touch is pretty wonky tbh 10% hp goes away so fast anyways most of the time you could just kill them with something else anyways, Its nice when ppl pop a defensive at low hp or vs warriors but the range to use it is just so low.

sry for the double post, tho i havent been able to use this yet i can see this being useful, that last bit b4 a healer gets off that instant heal or a class using survivablity cds right b4 a pally bubbles, there are some clutch moments that this will be useful, the reason i have the glyph for it, plus for 2's that "almost" kill u had when he got away wit 10% hp will now be a ez win
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i believe Chi wave isnt bugged. i notice when it cannot heal someone or dmg someone it stops bouncing so if it reach you and your full life it wont bounce back.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I respect and appreciate the post. Here are my 2 cents though. I think any class played by an amazing player can do well. Back in the day that feral druids were a joke, there were a few able to make it above 2k rating. They are amazing. I'm more concerned about averages. Because many players range from average to good, but few are truly amazing. I don't think monks should become a class that can easily faceroll. But I don't think you should have to be an elite PvPer to make it work well. Right now, that's kind of how it feels to a lot of us who range from average to good PvPers, which makes up a large percentage of the WoW community.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Boy, would I feel so good when if I could use Fists of Fury while moving...
Reply Quote
Ok for real.... this is getting SO old. Everyone that says WW is ok is not level 90. Please dont come to the forums and say this spec is ok if you arnt even level 90 and havnt experienced level 90 pvp. Yes ww pvp is ok when you arnt level 90 I can agree to that, but do it at 90. You cant stay on target half the time, you are easily kited. Your chi wave dosnt work when its a group setting, and thats your biggest heal. You do close to no DPS at ALL in any sort of the word damage, healers dont even bother to cc you when you are attacking them because your dps is SO bad. SO SHUT UP IF YOU HAVNT LEVEL 90 PVP WITH WW
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]