My thoughts so far on Raiding as Resto

90 Pandaren Shaman
I went into MV over the weekend with another guild while my guild still preps for raiding (some people still need to gear up through heroic dungeons). It was the guild's first attempt into MV, as well, so it was a learning experience for all of us. We didn't manage to down the Stone Guard, but I do understand the fight well enough. With this fight, I managed to find out a few things:

1. Some attempts found the Druid leaps and bounds ahead of me and the Paladin heals, while other attempts I found myself ahead. So I guess in this case at least we seem to be on par with Druids for HPS.

2. Mana regen seems a bit lacking during this fight. Often before the boss hits less than 50%, I'm in need of mana by either a Mana Tide and/or a Potion of Focus. I'm hoping it's just a case of needing to learn everything so everyone knows what to do, but right now I'm not thrilled being so mana inefficient...

3. Some changes to my talents and glyphs seems to have made things better for me. I changed to Primal Elementalist and had my elemental Empower me, which helped my heals for quite a bit. I also changed HW Glyph to Chaining Glyph and like the change, as it definitely covers more ground in 10-man raiding, and the cooldown is fairly negligible. I also decided to drop the Riptide Glyph for the Water Shield Glyph, and noticed my mana actually lasted longer because of it, since you're pretty much getting hit by something a lot of the time in raid fights.

It was an interesting fight, for sure, and I'm hoping to have MV done at some point once the guild is ready and knows how it goes. I'm for sure going to be doing the LFR once it unlocks tomorrow, and hopefully it teaches the fight enough to prepare for normal mode so there won't be much to explain when people first set foot in normal mode.
Reply Quote
47 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks for the insight. I decided to level up a resto shaman for this expansion and have been looking for posts about resto shaman raiding experiences at 90. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
1) Depends a lot on your damage patterns, and at this point, who snipes the best or has the most mana.

2) Use MTT often, and early. By waiting until 50% boss health to pop MTT< you're robbing yourself of an extra MTT use even against a 5 minute boss. If you pop it when you're at ~80% mana, it'll be up again before the end of the fight. You can almost always get an extra MTT off by using it early, rather than waiting until you "feel" low on mana.

That said, you look pretty short on Spirit at the moment. I'd personally put a higher emphasis on acquiring some, if I were you. I'll be breaking 10k Spirit unbuffed before raid tonight, and it still doesn't feel like enough.

3) Chaining Glyph? Ugh. Also: Water Shield Glyph is very specific on when it becomes mana positive or not. You can look over WoL and count procs and determine if it's actually a regen gain or not. I've got an addon tracking it at the moment, but that's a feature I just added, so I don't have the "real" numbers from last week's clear to share. In many cases, though, Water Shield's Glyph is a mana Loss.

I'd recommend learning to use Glyph of Totemic Recall long before pushing Water Shield on anyone for a noticeable mana gain.
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Warrior
I was watching Kungen's stream this weekend, and the monks and pallies were way ahead on the healing meters. I don't think they even had a shammy healer.

Yes I realize meters aren't the best indicator of healing effectiveness, just saying.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Perhaps dropping some Mastery in favor of Spirit would help, though right now I'm trying the "balance my gear between Resto and Ele specs" thing that I'm not really enjoying, so I'm trying to rebuild an Enhance spec to fix this. Just missing a weapon and trinkets.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
10/09/2012 09:04 AMPosted by Pharaa
right now I'm trying the "balance my gear between Resto and Ele specs"

Don't even try it. Just build 2 sets. They'll kill bag space, take time to acquire, but you'll thank a lot for it in the long run.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Stone Guard is not a Resto Shaman friendly fight. In some videos you'll even see Blood DKs topping the poor Shaman. Never fear, your time to shine is the 2nd fight.

/agree w/ Uuna. Two sets is almost a MUST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/09/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Malarky
Stone Guard is not a Resto Shaman friendly fight. In some videos you'll even see Blood DKs topping the poor Shaman. Never fear, your time to shine is the 2nd fight.
Quit watching terrible Shaman.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/09/2012 10:37 AMPosted by Uuna
Don't even try it. Just build 2 sets. They'll kill bag space, take time to acquire, but you'll thank a lot for it in the long run.

If I could, I would, but it's been hell getting this stuff so far, no other such gear has ever dropped again much to my dismay. I'm almost done the Enhancement set anyway, so it won't be long before I can retweak this current set to be specifically Resto.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I was in Vaults this week and we were able to down Will of the Emperor. I found that in huge mana consumption situations is where I struggled, but that was offset but really good CD's that blizzard has given us. I have a resto druid and healadin in my 10m and I was fine. I think its all about min / maxing effectively. As you can see I don't have the best gear either. (cause crap wont drop for me)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Went in this week and I have to say, resto is DOMINATING right now. I go with a priest and a druid, the priest is one of the best healers I've run with and can hang around with me, but I am still able to top heals on every fight, even though we only killed 4 bosses.

/agree w/ Uuna. Two sets is almost a MUST

This is completely a resto shaman fight, idk what you've seen as far as resto sham getting beat but the ability to have your raid stacked while bombing those riptide/ue/ghws on the tank...supersoak that ho. Using your HTT/SLT/Ascendence for overloads is extreme spike in healing. Biggest thing that helped me was getting enough spirit to be comfortable, with flask im at about 10k right now and it feels good, then haste 3764 breakpoint to get the extra ticks, >mastery 50%>crit for resurgance>haste to 2nd breakpoint in this entry level gear. Don't be afraid to use your mana resto shaman, thats the biggest problem I see with other shaman is lack of using healing rain when its necessary and finishing the fight or worse wiping with 40% or more mana. This is the most fun I've ever had healing on my resto shaman. I love the changes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I went into the LFR yesterday and we plowed through the whole thing in like 10 minutes. In all the fights, I was at the top of the Recount charts, so I suppose that's good news, too. Still only got gold, gold and gold, though, but I was happy to get one Sigil at least.

I'm going to try and see about joining another MV run and hopefully I can get past the Stone Guard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

1. Some attempts found the Druid leaps and bounds ahead of me and the Paladin heals, while other attempts I found myself ahead. So I guess in this case at least we seem to be on par with Druids for HPS.

All on skill.

2. Mana regen seems a bit lacking during this fight. Often before the boss hits less than 50%, I'm in need of mana by either a Mana Tide and/or a Potion of Focus. I'm hoping it's just a case of needing to learn everything so everyone knows what to do, but right now I'm not thrilled being so mana inefficient...

If you aren't gearing correctly, mana regen will always seem a bit lacking. Reforging out of spirit and into another secondary when spirit is available will hurt your hps. I suggest you get ahold of the empty barrel of fruit trinket and replace your alchemist stone. I also recommend replacing all of your pure int gems with purified imperial amethysts in blue slots and any green gem with spirit on it in yellow slots. Throughput will not be an issue with all of the int on our new gear, it's just a matter of mana conservation at this point in the xpac.

3. Some changes to my talents and glyphs seems to have made things better for me. I changed to Primal Elementalist and had my elemental Empower me, which helped my heals for quite a bit. I also changed HW Glyph to Chaining Glyph and like the change, as it definitely covers more ground in 10-man raiding, and the cooldown is fairly negligible. I also decided to drop the Riptide Glyph for the Water Shield Glyph, and noticed my mana actually lasted longer because of it, since you're pretty much getting hit by something a lot of the time in raid fights.

Primal elementalist is good. Don't forget that your Earth elemental has a similar ability to empower. I disagree with your glyph choices completely, however. If you take a look at mine, you'll see that I took glyph of Riptide, Healing Wave, and Totemic recall. Simply put, Totemic Recall is a huge mana conservation helper. You can snipe your HST's and elemental totems, even your HTT and save loads of mana by effectively removing the mana cost of those totems and gaining A) free heals, and B) free healing CDs. I agree with Caleko in that you should be popping MTT very early in the fight at approximately 75-80% mana. This way, in the longer fights, you'll get it 3+ times if you play your cards right. Riptide is a personal thing, and I only use it to keep as close to a 100% uptime on my tidal waves buff as possible. This can be easily managed via power auras, weak auras, etc. Healing wave is good in my opinion because you get a small heal without wasting any more mana, and you have to heal yourself less so you can prioritize other healers/tanks first.

Hope that helps. Any questions, send me a tell in game and i'll be happy to answer questions.

-Gerudo
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm mainly experimenting with a lot of glyphs, but I'm pretty set with Chaining IMO. Since I tend to run 10-mans exclusively, having the ability to stretch the Chains out that much is a godsend, and the 4 second CD is very negligible. I don't bother with 25-mans outside of the LFR (which who cares, it's faceroll anyway) so I'm probably going keep Chaining or Healing Wave (that glyph always felt more of a dungeon glyph as opposed to a raid glyph, IMO). I will probably try out some other glyphs that might work and see what they offer over Water Shield and Healing Stream Totem.

I'm hoping to get the last couple of pieces for the Enhancement spec soon, so I can gem/enchant/reforge a bit better. I don't know if I'll bother with Elemental gearing until I get a bunch of gear from the LFR for it.

All a WIP and experimentation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'm pretty set with Chaining IMO. Since I tend to run 10-mans exclusively, having the ability to stretch the Chains out that much is a godsend, and the 4 second CD is very negligible.

What fights do you find Chaining to be an improvement? I too run 10-mans, and I find Glyph of Chaining to be an abomination (the jump needs baked into the skill, not attached to such a huge penalty and consuming a glyph slot).

Stone Guards: I could maybe see an argument for using it, as it's not uncommon for the raid to be dodging puddles/bombs, moving for chains, etc. There really is not set "stack phase" here, although you may be able to encourage people to stack close enough together for CH to be useful without the glyph.

Feng: The raid should be stacked for everything but about half of the Arcane phase. Stacking that benefits highly from spammable CH. And when you're not stacking during Arcane, there is no AoE damage going out to heal anyway.

Gara'jul: The raid should be stacked for everything for the whole fight.

Spirit Kings: The raid should be stacked for a majority of the "high damage" phases (Cleave, MC). The spread phases are primarily single-target healing damage, with no general AoE damage to speak of.

Elegon: Ranged/Healers should generally be clumped, as should tanks/melee. These groups are probably far enough away that you couldn't hit both with the Glyph anyway. And not being able to spam CH during the <50% burn would be a significant hinderance.

Will of the Emperor: Ranged/Healer group should remain fairly clumped in the center. Some movement from melee/tanks, but damage patterns are generally "boring tank damage -> massive aoe -> repeat", and the only time Chain Heal becomes relevant is for spamming it in the center during gas phases.

I can see a case for using Glyph of Chaining on Stone Guards. Anything beyond that is, in my opinion, an extreme limiting of aoe throughput and is inferior to not having the glyph.

-

One of the key features of Chain Heal is that it really doesn't hit very hard. Rather, part of its usefulness relies on being able to spam it, and allowing the Smart-Heal nature of it to gradually bring players up. If Glyph of Chaining also made CH instant, or increased the healing amount, then there might be a case for it. But as it is, unless CH is entirely useless on a given fight due to range restrictions, it is more useful to be able to spam it even for a short phase of a fight than it would be to get an occasional extra jump or two out of it every 6+ seconds during spread phases.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
As I mentioned, so far I haven't downed anything in normal mode yet, so I found Glyph of Chaining to be more beneficial in the Stone Guard fight since a few people had to spread out. LFR offered no additional proof as people scatter all over anyway regardless of mechanics, so the chain heals spread quite far every time. Right now I'm happy with it, but I need to find out if I feel the same with further fights once I get to them in the future, whether with the guild if we're ready or with another guild temporarily.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I did 10 man last week and resume my 25's this week.

Depending on your strat for stone guard most are going to be clumped up there. We didn't even bother breaking chains. You can pretty much ignore them in normals, there is a point though you can spread when you are taking 50% reduced damage to break them. CH glyph is going to hurt more than help imo.

Personally i was focusing on single target healing with HW for stoneguard and it worked out pretty well.

And last but not least MOAR SPIRIT. As much as you can carry at this point.

edit: The only thing that LFR has that slightly resembles the normal mode is the bosses. I was truely disappointed on how easy it was. I expect it to be easy, but at this point they should just drop the loot or gold in your bags when the queue pops. I have a bad feeling that this will discourage people from raiding once they try to jump up to the next level.
Edited by Harpoa on 10/10/2012 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/10/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Pharaa
LFR offered no additional proof as people scatter all over anyway regardless of mechanics, so the chain heals spread quite far every time.

LFR should be a bigger argument Against Glyph of Chaining.

It's a 25m instance, meaning you will very rarely have missing jumps if everyone is even attacking the same boss. Glyph of Chaining is intended as a 10m bandaid, and is inherently unnecessary and hindering in 25m.

Additionally, the best strategy for the fight on LFR, given the current tuning, is literally to have everyone stack on the guard's butts. No need to tank taunt. No need to chain heal 20 yards. Everyone just stack and aoe heal through the laughable damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You'd think all that, and you'd normally be right. But get 25 random people across different realms who don't care about anything other than loot, and all reason and strategy goes right out the window.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
10/09/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Qibo
Thanks for the insight. I decided to level up a resto shaman for this expansion and have been looking for posts about resto shaman raiding experiences at 90. :)

i'll give you my insight thus far:

our cds are amazing:
I noticed it less in 10m than 25m (we raided a couple extra nights to down some more bosses last week after only clearing 1 on 25m) but HTT/ascendance can both easily spike over 150k hps during heavy aoe and on 3m timers that is a crazy amount of throughput. We also still bring a raid wall that can also double as a tank CD situationally. The eles are nice... earth ele especially is amazing with 20% damage reduction for a minute and still giving the 10% healing buff. I find myself using the earth ele during soft enrage/30%ish burn fights. The fire ele gives you a nice throughput buff and I try to time it around ascendance. I also like that the fire ele can swap to DPS as needed.

our stacked healing is great:
if you throw mana consumption out the window and just look at raw throughput... we're in a great spot when the raid is stacked. Healing Rain also seems HUGE right now making it useful during "loosely" spread encounters as well. Chain heal offers a fairly consistent amount of HPS... its only downside is its high cost.

our mana regen sucks:
we get less from spirit than pretty much everyone else... our only mana cd is shared by the raid (and thus nerfed accordingly) and resurgence is lackluster imo. It seems decently balanced right now (especially if you stack more crit) but I am worried how it will fair later this tier and in future tiers... as it never has scaled very well in the past. It also is at peak efficiency right now with the amount of HW spam we are forced to use. I feel like we will be forced into stacking more spirit than most healers and will see a throughput decrease from the 2ndary stat loss, I guess thats to be seen though.

Our significantly spread healing toolkit is limited, especially with movement:
When people are spread out (more than about 15 yds away from each other) our main abilities are useless. We CAN still heal these people but the choices are limited and our throughput is the lowest of any healer put in that situation. High movement it gets even worse... as our only recourse is RT, UE (still weak), and CDs. HST does help some but this could be a concern if we see fights that are similar to t12 (firelands). Thankfully... in MV at least... this doesn't seem to be the case.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]