Ele Shamans=weakest pvp caster in the game

90 Pandaren Monk
Agree or disagree?

Since the introduction of mist Ele shamans seem to have fallen to the back of the pack as far as spell casters go.

Shadow priest
1. dispersion
2. Bubbles that absorb too much damage
3. Psychic scream
4. Tendrils/psyfiend
5. off heals

Moonkins
1. Massive aoe burst
2. Aoe silence
3. damage reduction in moonkin form
4. able to heal in moonkin form
5. pushbacks

mages- don't need to go into detail, they are mages, they've always been overpowered
locks- always been strong in arena, now they are strong in BGs as well.

Ele shamans have
1. A horrible defensive cooldown in the form of SB totem/astral shift
2. decent burst
3. horrible interrupt
4. hex, mediocre cc compared to cyclone, sheeps and fears
5. horrible stun in the form of a totem

That's it......

So do you guys agree or disagree? Will elemental always be a glass cannon? will ele shamans always be free honorable kills in bgs? Will you switch specs for pvp?
Edited by Jinseng on 10/10/2012 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
See, just listing off spells that other classes have vs ours never tells the whole story.

You need to give specific examples of where you are having issues and then going from there. On paper we sound extremely strong. A knockback, a root, a stun, and a spell that lets us heal while moving? You can't get anything useful done when you just look at the spellbook.
Edited by Shabamsham on 10/10/2012 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The issue is a lack the of defensive cooldowns/dependable off heals.

Anyone that plays a ele shaman in pvp knows that after you use TS/frost shock/earth bind you are screwed if melee classes get on you. Two of the above listed spells won't even be useful against warriors, rogues and dks, all of which have great gap closers to get back on you and send you straight to the graveyard.
Edited by Jinseng on 10/10/2012 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
While I am not great in pvp.

1. Defensive cool down is not bad...more than we ever had no?
2. Very good burst.
3. We have a GREAT interrupt...also....I find Earthquake to be under utilized.
4. Hex isn't as good I agree. but we can get out of fear.
5. Our stun has a timer yes...but it is very good..especially on a large group..we can AOE silence/stun a whole group...from a long way away with totem projection.

Earthgrab/drop stun totem....run far away...then turn and Nuke the hell out of them.

We can heal in elemental extremely well. Have you popped Ancestral guidance/ascendance and proced to heal your ENTIRE group with you while seriously doing massive AoE damage?

It can be insane if done right.
Edited by Salammar on 10/10/2012 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Troll Shaman
10/10/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Jinseng
Since the introduction of mist Ele shamans seem to have fallen to the back of the pack as far as spell casters go.

since the introduction of CATACLYSM
Reply Quote
91 Troll Shaman
tbh, I am not even sure if we can even call ourselves 'glass cannon' anymore. we have good damage (if we are allowed to free cast), but our damage does not necessarily exceeds other class' damage.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
I play a 90 shaman as well (not sure why my avatar is my warrior). Anyway, arena 2v2 sucks right now...i'm on a team with a spriest and i feel bad for him cause i'm the reason we lose....while we do suck at pvp, we're kicking !@# at pve, i'm always top 2 in the dps charts and can heal much better than most druids...take this time to go explore other parts of the game until blizz fixes us in 2s...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Don't 1v1 as elemental, stay with your group (unless ascendance is up). That works fine in rbgs, for random bgs don't play elemental.
Edited by Shamantra on 10/10/2012 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
if you read the forums every class is greatly overpowered compared to others and every class is much weaker then every other class
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1. Defensive cool down is not bad...more than we ever had no?
2. Very good burst.
3. We have a GREAT interrupt...also....I find Earthquake to be under utilized.
4. Hex isn't as good I agree. but we can get out of fear.
5. Our stun has a timer yes...but it is very good..especially on a large group..we can AOE silence/stun a whole group...from a long way away with totem projection.

Earthgrab/drop stun totem....run far away...then turn and Nuke the hell out of them.

We can heal in elemental extremely well. Have you popped Ancestral guidance/ascendance and proced to heal your ENTIRE group with you while seriously doing massive AoE damage?

Imo, I'd have to disagree with you.

1. Our defensive capabilities are nowhere near that of WotLK. Passive Astral Shift was amazing in our toolkit and since it's removal we have remained defensively weak. This is because it fit into our toolkit perfectly and nothing was created to replace it's functionality, the fact that we have no mitigation ability useable while controlled really doesn't make sense.

2. Our burst isn't as good as in Cataclysm and to tie into your first comment after the list it's also very unreliable burst outside of Ascendance. We are a one trick pony, if the enemy uses 1 defensive ability to live through our multi-cooldown burst we are left with nothing.
Affliction has amazing multi-target pressure, Balance has good multi-target pressure and good defensive support. Frost and Fire have amazing single target sustained and nuke damage, Shadow has good offensive single target nuke damage and great defensive support.
Elemental has mediocre muti-target pressure, sustained single target damage, and nuke damage. Even our heals are mediocre compared to other hybrids but our other support is good.

3. Our interrupt is tuned oddly. The cooldown and lockout don't really seem to make sense comparative to other interrupts and the range is wonky for a ranged spec. Earthquake is costly and unreliable, that's a great recipe to create an unwanted ability.

5. It's fine if you talent Totemic Projection, but it's a sadly easy spell to counter untalented. Players often say "well it's fine because it works like old Fire Nova Totem which was great", that's all fine and dandy until you realize that old FNT had a far, far shorter cooldown than Capacitor.

Using AG and Ascendance for burst AoE damage and healing isn't really all that great in PvP. There are few situations where that's useful. Retribution, Balance, and Shadow all have better off healing than Elemental, Enhance and Feral have potent off-heals but they come at a larger tradeoff than other specs.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Take the Primal Elementalist talent.

Pop the Earth Elemental for more defense.

You have:

Pulverize: Melee Instant 40 sec CD - Smash an enemy with a rocky fist, dealing 150% damage of normal attack, and stunning target for 4 sec

Harden Skin: Instant 1 min CD - The caster's skin hardens into pure granite, reducing all damage taken by 40% for 10 sec.

Reinforce: 40 yard range Channeled 10 sec CD - Surround the elemental's creator with an earthen shield, reducing all damage taken by 20% and increasing healing done by 10% while channeling continues.

Pop the Fire Elemental for more DPS.

You have:

Fire Blast: Inflict Fire damage to an enemy

Fire Nova: Inflicts fire damage to nearby enemies

Immolate: Burns an enemy, then inflicts additional fire damage every 2.67 sec for 21.37 sec

Empower: Channeled - Empower the elementals creator with fiery energy, increasing all damage dealt by 5% and healing by 10% while channeling continues.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
our defensive abilities are a joke, our hybrid healing is the worst, and the only thing that keep ele shamans playable, their burst, just feels lacking this time around.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Ele sham is #1 in bloodlust atm and bursts for like 200k, !@#$ off.
Edited by Akumos on 10/10/2012 11:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The more PVP gear I get, things get much easier at a high ratio. No way can we any longer be described as Glass Cannons - we have much higher survivability than ever before. Also we dont pump out the burst quite as well as we used to.

But when the RNG gods smile on you, or if you are near a healer that has taken a liking to you, Ele Shaman can be very annoying and even deadly. Purge should be your favorite button. Ascendance should be macro'd with spirit walkers grace and any boosting racials or trinks. Try to only pop it when you wont immediately get trained ie back of the pack. Ive destroyed many a flag carrier - even druid healer gods - with a well timed and executed Ascendance.

Talking BG's here obviously, I dont have any Arena experience this season, but ill prob give Resto a go in arena soon, till things smooth out a bit with Ele.

Edit: side note, I find Lava Beam to be lack lustre compared to Lava Burst with no CD, even in PVE. Can pretty much destroy anything with Lava Bursts BUT FOR GODS SAKE MAKE SURE FLAMESHOCK IS STILL TICKING AND NOT MISSED OR DISPELLED. Otherwise you may just shed a little tear. Then punch yourself in the face.
Edited by Kutcho on 10/11/2012 12:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
Anybody else getting creamed by warriors? I can't seem to make a dent on them and they can stick to me indefinitely. Any time I get space I have to use it to spam heal myself back to full then watch as my health bar plummets in the coming five seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
There are some classes right now where 1 vs 1 is not viable. Pretty much just try to survive long enough for help to arrive. Experiment with your CC chain-

# Well timed Thunderstorms
# Earth grab > cap totem
# Hex
# Call of the Elements
# Earth grab > cap totem again.

And thats about all you got lol, unti hex is up or cleve Thunder Storming
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
# Well timed Thunderstorms
# Earth grab > cap totem
# Hex
# Call of the Elements
# Earth grab > cap totem again.

And thats about all you got lol, unti hex is up or cleve Thunder Storming

I literally did this. It really didn't do anything but delay him slightly. Even with me laying into him at one point, he ended the fight at full health. I think second wind heals them when they get rooted :/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Not surprising, Warriors are one of th "broken" classes atm, in terms of balance.

Arms Warrior, BM Hunter, Mage Frost or Fire, Spriest, a few specs of Druid are deemed OP by lots of people on these forums, and Ive seen plenty of proof in game.

The PVP section of the forums is sinking from all the complaint threads of these specs, go have a look.
Reply Quote
50 Human Priest
Not surprising, Warriors are one of th "broken" classes atm, in terms of balance.

Arms Warrior, BM Hunter, Mage Frost or Fire, Spriest, a few specs of Druid are deemed OP by lots of people on these forums, and Ive seen plenty of proof in game.

The PVP section of the forums is sinking from all the complaint threads of these specs, go have a look.

I thought that might have been the case. I knew they were insane in beta but I thought they might have fixed that. Until we can get enough honor the 4pc for ele, I think most melee are just going to roll ele shamans.

Speaking of the 4pc, how does it work with regards to the TS glyph (10 seconds off the cooldown)? Anybody have the 4pc?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]