Why is Blacksmithing so powerful AGAIN?

90 Human Rogue
The stat benefit for most crafting professions is normalized at 320 of a primary stat.
Shoulder enchants for inscribers, bracer enchants for leatherworkers, the usual.

Jewelcrafting has changed from 3 to 2 gems, each of which is 160 stats higher than the base gem. For example, the Delicate Serpent's Eye has 320 agi, 160 more than Delicate Primordial Ruby. JC has the added flexibility of socketing for secondary stats. Say, Quick Serpent's Eye over Quick Sun's Radiance, which is again, 160 stats.

Why, then, can a blacksmith socket two gems with secondary stats and gain a total of 640 secondary stats? I know plenty of classes where 640 of spirit/crit/haste/mastery/whatever is worth way more than 320 of a primary stat. It certainly is for every healer I've spoken to so far.

Even more dangerously, Blacksmithing allows you to socket two Stormy River's Heart, for 640 more PvP power than any other profession. Not even jewelcrafting can get PvP power serpent's eyes, and if they could, they'd only gain 320 pvp power over normal.

-----------------

In fact, I'm noticing a lot of discrepancies in professions. For example, take a look at engineer helms this expansion. (http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=retinal+armor#professions)

Every recipe uses a rare quality gem -- except for the leather agility goggles. They require a meta gem to craft, which costs six rare quality gems to transmute. And the strength plate goggles cost zero gems.

And this is just me complaining, but the only agility enchant for boots includes run speed -- which doesn't stack with the rogue passive run speed. I feel like I'm wasting stats there. Wish there was an option like in Cata that had more agility and no runspeed.

</whine>
Edited by Kindath on 10/2/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve dps plate, Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve holy plate, Blacksmithing has no equivalent of the self leg enchant, Blacksmithing still need to purchase their gems even when they socket the gear. Blacksmithing is a lot harder to level then JC and uses a lot more mats(but not as bad as LW).

In other news professions are not identical and I am fine with that.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
There is no reason BS should be head and shoulders better than every other profession in terms of personal benefit provided.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It's true. I am a BS and JC and according to elitist jerks Ret Paladins can get more value in T14 gear by gemming higher secondary stats bonuses of haste rather than pure strength and since BS allows me two more sockets that is just a little bit of an advantage for me once I start acquiring T14 gear.
Edited by Sarvan on 10/3/2012 12:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Blacksmithing is...extremely painful to level. (More painful than any other profession I've been involved in. I have engineering sitting at 350 TRYING to level BS with it.)
Perhaps it's just the tradeoff. :P
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Engineering would be the most difficult I think. BS was very easy to level this time around, the amount of ghost ore nodes made it happen very quickly.

I didn't even touch BS until I got my alt and at 85 had her going around feeding me bars to finally lvl it. I bought a few mats off of the ah my alt couldnt provide.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
You realize that your math is wrong? You get 2 extra sockets with blacksmithing. Without jewelcrafting thats a 320 bonus of a stat. With jewelcrafting you add another 320 into that socket summing to 640. Thank you
Reply Quote
Fittest, you missed the changes to gems that came with Mists. The rare gems provide 160 of a primary stat, or 320 of a secondary stat. This makes gemming for secondary stats much more attractive, though most dps classes will still benefit most from gemming their primary stat. Tanks, healers, and pvp specs however can gain a better benefit from gemming secondary stats, which is what the OP is complaining about.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I think so many people were pissed about the discrepancy with epic gems during Cata, that Blizzard is trying to empathsize that this is THEIR game, and if you don't like it you can play one of the "failing" alternatives that character to the me, me, me of the player base.

Honestly, though, if you are a min/maxer, you have had blacksmithing since WotLK, rerolling professions for the slightest edge is not an issue, and the extra 25 stats from cooking...however miniscule...justify the expense without complaint.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
10/02/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Mate
Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve dps plate, Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve holy plate

Yes, it does. Look at the PvE stats on the Contender's gear and compare it to other 450 pieces. The PvP stats are pure bonus--they aren't taken out of the PvE stat budget they way resilience was before. All "PvP" gear is now hybrid PvP/PvE gear.

Blacksmithing has no equivalent of the self leg enchant, Blacksmithing still need to purchase their gems even when they socket the gear. Blacksmithing is a lot harder to level then JC and uses a lot more mats(but not as bad as LW).In other news professions are not identical and I am fine with that.

Those are economic issues, which is fine. Professions aren't supposed to be balanced precisely in terms of how they work economically. The combat bonuses do need to be balanced, though, to prevent making any one profession required for maximum performance.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I can think of a good reason blacksmith should provide more personal benefit... IT MAKES NO MONEY!

The only time you make ANY profit as a BS, is when new items are first introduced, and even then your lucky to make 25% profit, whereas some of the other professions are at the 1000% profit level (for example transmutting 200g with of trillium to 2k worth of living steel).

heck even scribes get to make a BoA staff now, there are no plans for BS to do that. IMHO the blacksmithing profession is the worst profession in the game.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
So the BS warrior has 8760 Str instead of 8600? Don't I need a spreadsheet to see what that means? It can't be noticeabel in game.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
So the BS warrior has 8760 Str instead of 8600? Don't I need a spreadsheet to see what that means? It can't be noticeabel in game.

Actually No, the bs warrior has 8600 str the same as 8600 str. But the JC Ret pally might have 8600 str and 8600 Haste and the BS Ret pally might have 8440 strength and 8920 Haste
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve dps plate, Blacksmithing has no level 90 pve holy plate.

Take a look at the chest I'm wearing for a sec would you?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Lol Black smithing hasn't changed in 4 years. Where have you been? They put the socket bracer and socket wrist in during Wrath of The Litch King.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]