New Video Card

100 Night Elf Hunter
I am looking to upgrade my video card for my computer. I am pretty tech savvy, but when it gets down to the nuts and bolts of what is better for the inside of the computer I get a little confused.

Here are my current specs:

ATI Raedon HD 4300/4500 Series video card.
AMD Phenom 2 x4 910 processor 2.60 GHz.
H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) Motherboard.
16 GB Ram

What kind of video card upgrade (under 300 bucks) would be best for better game play? Doesn't have to be another Raedon
Edited by Nightshadow on 10/2/2012 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
There'll be a CPU bottleneck in CPU-intensive games/situations, for example, raiding in WoW.

That said, what power supply do you have, and can cases fit a full length/height graphics card -- namely, is it a slim case, or fat big mid tower?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
It is a fat tower, and I have a 300W power supply.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You need a new power supply if you want a really beefy graphics cards that costs more than $120. Depending on whether you will or not, my recommendation will change drastically.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I really dont have much of a limit, but would like to keep the whole thing around 300-400 bucks.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
How is this for a power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I recommend this power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

Get this graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404

Hope your case has enough space for this graphics card.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Looks good. I know I have the space for that. I have 3 or 4 open slots in the back to put additional cards into so shouldnt be a problem.

What type of settings should I be able to run on with those?

Also, thank you very much for the help.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The card itself can pretty much run any game out there with max settings, but with CPU-intensive areas in games, like WoW raiding, FPS will be capped by your CPU (meaning, you will see some improvement, but not as much as you'd like).
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
What kind of CPU upgrade would you suggest? Hopefully the motherboard I have can be upgraded. I really dont feel like building from the ground up.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Your motherboard has no real upgrade potential (it does not support future AMD CPUs), so your only option is to get a new motherboard along with the CPU.

You will want an Intel setup, like:

i5-3450 with B75 motherboard.
B75 boards usually come with 2 RAM slots only.
Edited by Kalganized on 10/2/2012 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
At that point we are looking at a few hundred more dollars, arent we?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes. i5-3450 is $190ish, B75 motherboards cost around $70.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
no AMD equivelant?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Currently, no. Upcoming Piledriver may come close to it, but that new upcoming AMD CPU is not compatible with your motherboard.

Then may as well as go with the proven best.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Alright, so all that put together I am looking at about a $550 upgrade cost. At that point, I should be good to go with max settings on WoW? Just trying to make it so when things get more advanced with games in the upcoming future (as they always do) I dont need to upgrade again right away, and to be able to play with minimal lag while still being able to see 10 feet in front of my characters.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This CPU + that HD 7870 will pretty much lets you max out all current games, and should be able to do so for most other games in the near future (give or take 3 or so years, after that, you may have to dial it down just under max)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Awesome, thank you very much for all of your help, I really appreciate it. Its a bit over budget, but I can swing it I think :-)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You are using HP, yes?

Replacing CPU + motherboard will cause your Windows to no longer work as HP / Dell / specific vendor OEM copies of Windows are tied to the motherboard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
aw crap.....seriously? lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]