Have older raids been added to Raid Finder?

80 Undead Warlock
Has Raid Finder been updated to function for older Raids such as Illidan and the Lich King or are these essentially just extinct/obsolete raids that no one does any more? If so that is an absolute waste of epic content.
Reply Quote
There is no Raid Finder for Vanilla, BC, WotLK and most of Cata raids.
I agree, it would be awesome to have RF versions of those raids. I especially want it to be able to get a sense of raiding on my alts.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Blizzard may go back and create a RF version of those raids, but for now it's just Dragon Soul and the new MoP raids that will be available in the Raid Finder.

FYI, Dragon Soul becomes unavailable as soon as you ding level 86.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
Well that just answered my question of whether or not I should come back or not. I was a late comer to WoW; started in Cataclysm but immedietly lost interest when I couldn't find anyone interested in raiding the old raids any more because they were pointless and obsolete. So I'd never get to experience the conclusion to major storylines or the most epic content. Its such a waste; Blizzard needs to go back and look at this content rather then just piling more and more on top of everything. There is perfectly good content already that just needs to be updated.
Edited by Kulharin on 10/2/2012 10:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
People DO go back and run the old raids, but it's when they are level capped and can solo or 2-3 man them.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
Yah, that's my point though. No one raids them with a raid group at there intended level. What's the point when level 71 or 81 green items are superior to level 70 and 80 legendary items.

It just annoys me since this is suppose to be the most epic, climactic content but its just swept under the rug whenever a new expansion comes out; its as if Blizzard doesn't want anyone playing its old content. I'd like to experience these raids, as a raid. Not solo it by myself at the level cap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Raids are meant to be something to keep the players at the level cap occupied with stuff to do while the next expansion is being made.

Because of this, raids can take several months to progress through with an at-level group. It's not something done in one evening. To progress through raids you don't vastly out-level you have to kill the first boss repeatedly until the majority of your raid party has all the things they need off of him. Those drops help with the second boss, and so on through the raid.

Each time you kill a boss they only drop a few items, and you can only kill each boss once per week, so you can see why it takes forever. If you attempt to do level 60 raids at-level today, without bothering to lock your xp, you'll be nearly level 70 on that character by the time you finish. All for items that are worse than what you could get from the first 10 quests in Outlands, and at a speed that you could have reached the CURRENT level cap in that time frame.

As for your "old raids have outdated items & are outdated content, Blizz should change that", what do you expect from level 60 content? Of COURSE they're going to give worse items than level 61 content, because the level is higher. They'd be out-paced eventually by the natural increases in the game anyway.

WoW is an mmorpg, by it's very nature it needs to grow and evolve and expand as time goes on to keep people playing. That's how you get people who were there in the beginning still playing this game today.

If you want a game that never changes and when you "beat" the end-game bosses there's very little if anything else to do, then you're entirely in the wrong genre of games.
Edited by Avanna on 10/2/2012 10:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Yah, that's my point though. No one raids them with a raid group at there intended level. What's the point when level 71 or 81 green items are superior to level 70 and 80 legendary items.

It just annoys me since this is suppose to be the most epic, climactic content but its just swept under the rug whenever a new expansion comes out; its as if Blizzard doesn't want anyone playing its old content. I'd like to experience these raids, as a raid. Not solo it by myself at the level cap.
I don't know about you, but I'm not a hardcore raider and I cleared DS a handful of times. I got bored with the story line. I really couldn't see myself staying subscribed if every expansion had the same content just buffed with a little bit of new.
Reply Quote
Vanilla, BC, and LK raiding guilds are most assuredly not commonplace, but they are not too hard to find if you hang around in the forums here or on Wowhead or MMO-Champion, or do some Google searches and make contact.

If, however, you don't want to level lock or play by their rules, which may include not taking advantage of gems, enchants, glyphs, or gear added later to game, but rather just want to run level appropriate raids as part of your leveling experience, then as the kids say, you're doing it wrong. As mentioned, raids are not designed as leveling content. So your choice is simple: either level to current end game, raid with everyone else, and run the older raids as achievement runs with a few guildies on off nights, or level lock at whatever sub-cap level is appropriate and run those older raids with your pre-current-endgame raiding guild.

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Additionally, a few original raids have been removed/re-tooled.

AQ25 = AQ10
AQ40 = AQ25
Ony (level 60) = Ony Level 80
ZA (level 70 raid) = ZA Level 85 (5-man heroic)
ZG (level 60 raid) = ZG Level 85 (5-man heroic)
Naxx (level 60 raid) = Naxx Level 85 raid)

There have even been a few 5-mans that have been re-tooled (SFK, Deadmines, SM, etc.)
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
I guess the biggest thing I'd like to see is a re-tool of the final battle raids of each expansion so facing off against Illidan and Arthas is actually feasible, worthwhile and still popular. Even if you they need to make alternate version or completely remake them. To me it feels like if I were to play through Diablo and then by-pass/skip/miss the final dungeon and act boss for each act on my way through.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I guess the biggest thing I'd like to see is a re-tool of the final battle raids of each expansion so facing off against Illidan and Arthas is actually feasible, worthwhile and still popular. Even if you they need to make alternate version or completely remake them. To me it feels like if I were to play through Diablo and then by-pass/skip/miss the final dungeon and act boss for each act on my way through.

Suggest that to Blizzard then if you think that's an idea people might like. Blizzard developers never look here for suggestions, so you're going to have to e-mail them directly or re-sub so you can post your suggestion in a forum they DO frequent. In this case, the dungeons and raids forum OR general forum.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I agree with Kulharin.

It sucks that you can't do the old raid content at the intended level. I only started playing about year ago - and I always felt gipped by not being able to do the old stuff - except in faceroll transmog runs.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
There's nothing stopping you from doing old raid content at the intended level. You just need to find people who feel the same way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In addition to what the others have said, just because you're doing a level 70 raid at level 70 NOW doesn't mean it's going to feel anything like what it did when you were at level 70 THEN.

Example:

Nothing can compare to the pure and unadulterated suckage that was a balance druid in Karazhan. Balance druids at 70 now have a crap-ton more tools and abilities that are useful in Karazhan, plus the scaling is different so your damage output will be much higher than it used to be. You can't replicate the feel of the old raids as much as you try. The same mechanics just aren't there for the classes.

If you weren't around for Karazhan (and how much it royally sucked back in the day) then you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses because all you see is "Oooh, a cool raid I've never done!" Karazhan is just one example - this applies to all of the old raids.
Edited by Icedragon on 10/3/2012 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
10/03/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Icedragon
Nothing can compare to the pure and unadulterated suckage that was a balance druid in Karazhan. Balance druids at 70 now have a crap-ton more tools and abilities that are useful in Karazhan, plus the scaling is different so your damage output will be much higher than it used to be. You can't replicate the feel of the old raids as much as you try. The same mechanics just aren't there for the classes.
Lolz, did they even make a balance set in BC since the spec was so broken. Granted mages got raid invites for food then booted.
Reply Quote
Lolz, did they even make a balance set in BC since the spec was so broken. Granted mages got raid invites for food then booted.

We don't need no stinking mages! /shadowboltspam
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Because there's still an achievement and title to go with it, a lot of people are still doing the "run Ulduar at 80 in Ulduar appropriate gear" thing (edit Herald of the Titans is the name of the achievement I believe). You'll have to look at the forums or sources like openraid to find a group, but because you can cross-realm raid everything prior to Mists Raids on normal and heroic difficulty now, you won't be limited by server to do so.
Edited by Honorata on 10/3/2012 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Another problem I thought of - how many level 60 players were meant to run those level 60 raids?
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Rhymetha
Another problem I thought of - how many level 60 players were meant to run those level 60 raids?

Generally 40 or 20, but some of them have been resized or retooled, see Jay's post above (though he incorrectly states AQ20 as AQ25).

Of those that remain, MC and BWL are 40 folks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]