Kamazhi Quits Soda: A Log

90 Night Elf Druid
On most days Pacific time from 8 a. m until sometimes 1 a m...gosh that seems like a lot..I think I live in Azeroth!! Anyone who is looking for rp I always love it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I never drink sugary sodas, but I am bad about drinking too much diet soda. So I've been cutting back, but not cold turkey.

Have you ever tried Barley Tea (aka mugicha)? I go through an absurd amount of it per day (I'm talking two liters or more). I find it to be a tasty but not unhealthy alternative to soda. Easy to make--you just buy a big bag of it at an Asian grocer (or a regular grocery store if you're lucky and they carry it), boil up a pot of water and throw a few bags in. Wait a few hours and put it in the fridge.

Lower acidity, still flavorful... the only "problem" is no caffeine. This is good and bad--you can drink it at night without problems, but you can't use it as a pick-me-up during the day, really.

Anyway, if you're not so keen on just 100% switching to water, that's my suggestion.
Reply Quote
Worry not.

For every Mountain Dew you refuse, I'll quaff it down.

I'll admit, I'm a Dew-fan.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Worry not.

For every Mountain Dew you refuse, I'll quaff it down.

I'll admit, I'm a Dew-fan.

I've been known to hit the green stuff from time to time myself.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzrRhEgKfE

I raise your weird ol' music with awesome music agin. Also, good luck though I find mountain dew to be far more tolerable than coke/pepsi. Coke and pepsi always makes my teeth feel weird.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
I also suggest tea. Try lots of teas, see what you like.

That reminds me that I need to go across the street and buy some tea that reportedly tastes like a root beer float. Ah, the joys of living close to a place that sells good tea.

I still drink pop on occasion myself, but it's getting less and less appealing as time goes by. Except for ginger beer and root beer and birch beer, those get more and more appealing as time goes by.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
I really hate tea. I'm switching to water and milk, s'it!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If you're not big on tea or coffee, I would suggest hot chocolate and some natural fruit juices (be sure to read the label and see what it has in it...no corn syrup!). I have a hard time drinking milk, it feels too heavy and I don't like the throat-coaty feel.
Reply Quote
89 Human Rogue
From one non-soda drinker to the new non-soda drinker:

You can do it! 3:

PS: I can't drink soda because it burns when I swallow it. 3: If I force it, I'll choke.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I dropped pop for the most part, except now and then I still siphon away a bottle of Coke or Dr. Pepper.

(i totally suggest pepsi max because zero calories, no sugar in it, only caffeine and still has a remarkably close taste to pepsi, unlike coke zero)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
Eh, sugar impersonators are worse for you than sugar.

Milk and water, I'm good.

Twenty four hours update: Headache and fuzzy sense of awareness. Managable, though.

Appetite is noticably increased. Cooked for the first time in ages because I was craving a hot meal. (Egg, ham, and pepperjack cheese toasted sandwich if you're curious)

One day down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Drink a lot of juice. I actually tend to not drink any soda at all if I have juice because JUICE IS !@#$ING AWESOME
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Just drink water.

There are worse addictions than sugar and caffeine. Headaches and all will pass in about two weeks.

Good on you for quitting though :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Good on you for trying to quit! I've done the same thing and it's amazing how it helped my body. I actually lost weight from cutting it back (one or two diet sodas a week for me now), but that's probably due to water retention from the sodium.

Anyway, I really recommend Naked juice! One of their juice smoothies, called the Green Machine, tastes really good and is amazing for energy. It also is very healthy for you and can take the place of fruits or veggies if you find yourself having a hard time fitting enough of those into your meals. : ) I like to drink it for breakfast, especially when I'm low on time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There is no solid evidence that sugar substitute it any worse for you or better than sugar. Also stay away from the fruit juice if you're trying to avoid sugar, because when in liquid form it's pretty much entirely sugar with none of the other nutrients. Seriously, check the nutrition label on those things.

However, if you crave something tasty and water doesn't do the trick try out Crystal Lite packets or Sugar-Free Hawaiian Punch. I drink the latter pretty often and ever since I cut out soda for glasses of punch I've been in fantastic health.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
10/03/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Lavielle
Anyway, I really recommend Naked juice!

Me too!

My other piece of advice is to try a variety of drinks instead of just sticking to one or two choices, or limiting yourself to just water. As always, read the label, and make sure you're not getting duped into drinking something chock full of bad sugars and chemicals.

I'll try just about anything once (it's how I ended up drinking celery soda once =/), and one of my favorite things to do is to shop at a place like Fresh Market or a local ethnic store for new drinks. I've found some great green teas by doing so.
Reply Quote
95 Human Mage
I'm a Pepsi person myself, but only have 1 or less per day. Artificial sweeteners have a bad effect on me so mostly I drink water with lemon. But for variety you can slice any fruit/vegetable and put it in a pitcher of water in the fridge over night for a tasty, refreshing drink that has no calories.
Edited by Glority on 10/4/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
10/04/2012 04:23 AMPosted by Vandrysse
I'll try just about anything once (it's how I ended up drinking celery soda once =/), and one of my favorite things to do is to shop at a place like Fresh Market or a local ethnic store for new drinks. I've found some great green teas by doing so.

celery...soda....?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I gave up regular sugar filled sodas.

This being said I am now a certified Coke Zero addict. Gods forbid you speak to me before I've had my morning fix. I really do try and drink water but generally I feel if it's not caffeinated why should I drink it? (I worked night shift for yeeeears and it's had a definite effect on me)

Crystal Light single packets are my best friend though. Seriously, they have a TON of flavors and you just dump the adorable little packet into a bottle of water and shake. Ta da! Instant yummy.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
10/04/2012 10:13 AMPosted by Raisheal

celery...soda....?

Specifically, Cel-Ray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-Ray

Quite possibly the nastiest stuff I've ever consumed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]