Martial Arts

90 Draenei Death Knight
Took Kenpo for a few months when I was younger. Can't remember much other than me completely sucking at it.

Looking into finding another martial art to practice. I don't have speed, but I'm a pretty good grappler, so Judo looks like something I would be interested in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
10/03/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I've dabbled in stuff: A little kung fu, some krav maga, and once in a blue moon I'll roll with some friends on the weekend. Nothing with serious intensity though; I wouldn't say that I have anything resembling skill in anything that I've trained in.

Kung fu isn't a style of martial arts. Kung fu is the term for studying ANYTHING that requires patience and time to complete. If you learn to be a carpenter, you used kung fu. If you learn to play the violin? Kung fu.

Learning karate? Kung fu. Learning Taekwondo? Kung fu. Learning to draw? Kung fu.

So yea. Anyone you learned "kung fu" from was riping you off.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/03/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Goku
I've dabbled in stuff: A little kung fu, some krav maga, and once in a blue moon I'll roll with some friends on the weekend. Nothing with serious intensity though; I wouldn't say that I have anything resembling skill in anything that I've trained in.

Kung fu isn't a style of martial arts. Kung fu is the term for studying ANYTHING that requires patience and time to complete. If you learn to be a carpenter, you used kung fu. If you learn to play the violin? Kung fu.

Learning karate? Kung fu. Learning Taekwondo? Kung fu. Learning to draw? Kung fu.

So yea. Anyone you learned "kung fu" from was riping you off.

It was described as Northern Shaolin and Praying Mantis. I just didn't feel the need to mention it.
Reply Quote
50 Pandaren Monk
I like to think that I'm a sweet talking, tatoo-sporting gypsy bare-knuckle boxing champ.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I've done Mixed Martial Arts(MMA) for a great deal of my Middle, and Highschool Career. Around 4 years. Ahhh, it was fun... Until I broke a Wrist. ;)
Reply Quote
86 Human Monk
10/03/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Huardek
I've done Mixed Martial Arts(MMA) for a great deal of my Middle, and Highschool Career. Around 4 years. Ahhh, it was fun... Until I broke a Wrist. ;)

Sorry to hear that. What happened if I may ask? Didn't tap out soon enough?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
*bows*

Yellow belt holder here.

Took a semester in college. Lots of fun!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Well, I've broken it a multitude of times. From Football, etc. But this was just simply because I was Hip Tossed and I landed on my wrist. xD. I know, I know... Pretty Gangster if you ask me! ;D
Edited by Huardek on 10/3/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Started out with Taekwondo when I was young but got into Ninjutsu a few years ago.

It was refreshing to see your post, OP, because like you, I was involved with the Genbukan as well. I was a member of a satellite training group that was officially associated with the Ganseki Dojo in Texas. I ended up quitting though because the instructor of my satellite group had a lot of issues that ended up making him unfit to be an instructor. After I quit, he was expelled from the Genbukan even. I only got to 7th kyu, but we practiced techniques from all kyu levels. I miss it, and I still try to keep up with it on my own. Loved the art, and you're absolutely right about how real and effective it is.

Anyway, good to see a fellow Genbukan member. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Cho Dan Bo (Blackbelt Candidate) in Haidong Gumdo (Korean Swordsmanship). Have my Black belt Grading at the Australian Nationals in a couple of weeks.
Reply Quote
25 Troll Monk
Capoeirista here. been training since the start of the year and can nearly do everything my troll can do (and a fair bit more he can't).
Reply Quote
29 Pandaren Mage
I know how to use a Bokken Kendo sword...does that count?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Used to do a little bit of TKD as a kid, now I'm going on my sixth year of Boxing and second year of various weapons such as the Bo, the Nunchaku and Chinese Broadsword. I also have a Bokken but I feel like a weaaboo even touching it so it's accumulating dust since it's not a style that really appeals to me either.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Shaman
I once did some Ju Jitsu stuff when I was a kid. More recently I've taken up Krav Maga because I wanted to lose weight/get fit and also learn something interesting at the same time (obviously I do other physical activity as well). The fact that they teach you defense against armed attackers early on, in workshops and in normal training, was what sold it to me in the end. The other options I had looked more like sports which I wasn't interested in (though they can be effective when mixed with a self-defense art).

10/03/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I think it's been mythologized a bit, and suffers from the McDojo effect, unfortunately. I wouldn't say that it's inherently more dangerous than anything else, though some would argue that it's much more practical than traditional forms. It believe that it was developed so that a high degree of comparative proficiency could be taught in a relatively short time, without the years of training that some arts demand.

I find it interesting to hear someone say Krav Maga suffers from the McDojo effect. Some organizations certainly do things differently, for sure... The organization I train with considers grades a distant second to learning the skills you need to defend yourself (IKMF and KMG are both like this). They'd rather teach you how to defend yourself properly, so after they get you going with the basics you end up learning a wide range of things at various levels in the graded system. They certainly emphasize the mindset and being able to put your defense together, rather than just doing stuff for the sake of doing it. In this sense, Krav Maga and some other arts are complementary.

Which is part of why I like it -- I don't need to grade to learn some skills. I just need to show up. It's a good workout, it's fun, it's satisfying.

It's not a perfect system and it certainly doesn't look very good, but it works. And it works with other systems if you know them.
Edited by Bijit on 10/3/2012 8:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
IRL I got to practice whooping on people at Parris Island and Camp Geiger. Not really a 'style' but fun >:)
Reply Quote
86 Human Monk
*bows*

Yellow belt holder here.

Took a semester in college. Lots of fun!

*bows back*

I did that in college as well but as a recap. TKD, that is. You should get back into it!

Started out with Taekwondo when I was young but got into Ninjutsu a few years ago.

It was refreshing to see your post, OP, because like you, I was involved with the Genbukan as well. I was a member of a satellite training group that was officially associated with the Ganseki Dojo in Texas. I ended up quitting though because the instructor of my satellite group had a lot of issues that ended up making him unfit to be an instructor. After I quit, he was expelled from the Genbukan even. I only got to 7th kyu, but we practiced techniques from all kyu levels. I miss it, and I still try to keep up with it on my own. Loved the art, and you're absolutely right about how real and effective it is.

Anyway, good to see a fellow Genbukan member. :)

Awesome! The Genbukan community is often very small and tightly knit. It's extremely unfortunate to hear the story about your former sensei though, that's actually kind of frightening that it happened within the Genbukan. Have you thought about finding another Genbukan school and training again? Good to have met you man!

Well, I've broken it a multitude of times. From Football, etc. But this was just simply because I was Hip Tossed and I landed on my wrist. xD. I know, I know... Pretty Gangster if you ask me! ;D

Ouch... I've broken my right thumb 3 times. Twice because of boxing, one of which was me being stupid on a punching bag without gloves or wraps and hit my thumb in, another was from sparring. I'm always afraid I'm going to do something to it again in Ninjutsu sooner or later :(
Edited by Sandninjer on 10/3/2012 9:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/03/2012 08:45 PMPosted by Bijit
The organization I train with considers grades a distant second to learning the skills you need to defend yourself (IKMF and KMG are both like this).

McDojo was probably the wrong word to use. What I should have said is that it's become a bit of a martial arts 'fad', and that there are competing federations all claiming to teach the real deal. Most of them do, but a couple of them... don't.

I trained at a KMG gym.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
10/03/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Daxxarri
The organization I train with considers grades a distant second to learning the skills you need to defend yourself (IKMF and KMG are both like this).

McDojo was probably the wrong word to use. What I should have said is that it's become a bit of a martial arts 'fad', and that there are competing federations all claiming to teach the real deal. Most of them do, but a couple of them... don't.

I trained at a KMG gym.

Isn't it past your bedtime young man?! Sheesh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]