Channel Malefic Grasp vs Drain Soul

89 Blood Elf Warlock
Affliction locks: Once you get your dots on, which do you prefer to channel? Malefic Grasp or Drain Soul? I've been using drain sould because it doesn't drop the damage of my DOT's to 50%. Is there a reason to use malefic grasp instead?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I think there is confusion here. MG will do damage based on 50% of your DoT damage. It won't reduce the amount of damage your DoTs do.

DS is the filler when the boss is < 20%, MG is the filler > 20%.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
There's a fundamental misunderstanding of what Malefic Grasp does. Your dots still tick for 100% of their normal damage on their own. While channeling Malefic Grasp, each time it deals damage it also makes your dots deal extra ticks for a fraction of the normal ones on top of the ones that deal full damage. The same applies when you're channeling Drain Soul under 20%.

You'll want to be channeling Malefic Grasp above 20%, and Drain Soul at or below 20%. You may use Drain Soul at any health percentage if you need to save shards for a specific purpose.

E: 20%
Edited by Imperil on 10/5/2012 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/05/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Imperil
You may use Drain Soul at any health percentage if you need to save shards for a specific purpose.
What do shards have to do with DS vs MG?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/05/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Loktronotron

Lawd in heaven, does no one read tool tips x.x

Drain SOul gives you a shard per two ticks. MG doesn't.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
10/05/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Loktronotron
You may use Drain Soul at any health percentage if you need to save shards for a specific purpose.

You get a Soul Shard for every two ticks of Drain Soul.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Right, I was stuck on him saying you wanted to save shards thinking that he meant MG was using them up. Not saying you can use DS to generate shards. Just a failure at comprehending the syntax, nothing to see here people.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/05/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Loktronotron
Just a failure at comprehending the syntax, nothing to see here people.

Nope. You clearly must now be sacrificed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Does anyone read tooltips anymore?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/05/2012 09:17 AMPosted by Sveik
Does anyone read tooltips anymore?
Wow what a bold, brave, and original statement. The OP got confused based off of the confusing tooltip. Tooltip says that MG will cause your DoTs to hit at 50%. It's pretty reasonable to assume someone who isn't familiar with the spec could wonder what the use of that is. My mistake was assuming the poster was saying that MG uses up shards.

What did you bring to this conversation besides a stupid statement that's already been said and that isn't even relevant?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
... It's pretty reasonable to assume someone who isn't familiar with the spec could wonder what the use of that is. ...

What did you bring to this conversation besides a stupid statement that's already been said and that isn't even relevant?
It's fairly simple to understand the tooltip and you don't need to be familiar with the spec to know how it works.

When Malefic Grasp deals damage, it causes all of your other periodic Affliction damage effects to instantly deal 50% of their normal periodic damage.
And you can't talk about stupidity mate. The majority of what I've seen you post here is dim to say the least.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
if you use grimoire of sacrifice boost dots by 50% and then MG does 75% of the dots tick dmg.

just a thought.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
if you use grimoire of sacrifice boost dots by 50% and then MG does 75% of the dots tick dmg.

just a thought.

GoSac only boosts the damage of fillers.(The extra dot ticks granted by the fillers are counted as the filler's damage, so that gets boosted too.)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
... It's pretty reasonable to assume someone who isn't familiar with the spec could wonder what the use of that is. ...

It's fairly simple to understand the tooltip and you don't need to be familiar with the spec to know how it works.

When Malefic Grasp deals damage, it causes all of your other periodic Affliction damage effects to instantly deal 50% of their normal periodic damage.
And you can't talk about stupidity mate. The majority of what I've seen you post here is dim to say the least.
I'm sure, you seem really open minded so I would respect your opinion completely.

The tooltip basically says when you're using your MG, your periodic spells instantly deal 50% of their normal periodic damage.

You don't think someone who isn't used to affliction, or warlocks, or the game in general might think that means that maybe it's saying your DoTs, instead of being DoTs will do 50% of the damage instantly. Meaning, for instance, say corruption does 20k damage over 10 seconds. Maybe he was thinking that if you use MG corruption would instantly do 10k damage but would not last 10 seconds anymore.

Is it wrong? Yes. Is it fairly obvious to anyone used to how Affliction works? Yes. Is it impossible to think that a player who doesn't play a lot and is new to the spec might confuse it? No, you are just being single minded and unhelpful. Are we supposed to all sit here and say wowww, Sveik is such a good warlock because he talks crap to other locks who come to ask questions? Grow up dude, and take care of whatever is making you such an annoyed, unhelpful, sh!tty person.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Warlock
Lol great discussion! Thank you for the help. I am a total noob. I only got back into WoW for the expansion, and am a little confused at the spells. Like someone else said, I did read the tool tips, and they confused me a bit. Thank you for the clarification all!!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock

This tip, taken by itself, is not even ambiguous it clearly says that your dot damage is cut in half. It's very poorly worded. Give people a break.

If you are on these forums all the time it is quite obvious that they meant, "50% additional dmg" but some people are just starting out.
Edited by Clavum on 10/5/2012 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

just a thought.

GoSac only boosts the damage of fillers.(The extra dot ticks granted by the fillers are counted as the filler's damage, so that gets boosted too.)

Nope, I can confirm it makes the instant dot ticks 75% instead of only 50%. It says it in the tooltip, and my damage meters can confirm.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/05/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Loktronotron
Is it wrong? Yes. Is it fairly obvious to anyone used to how Affliction works? Yes. Is it impossible to think that a player who doesn't play a lot and is new to the spec might confuse it? No, you are just being single minded and unhelpful.
No, it's not impossible to think that. But I feel the tooltip gives enough information to know basically what's going on. I mean, what is even the logic behind MG making your dots tick 50% less.

With the amount of questions asked on these and several other sub-forums, as a person that frequents them, most questions I have come across can be answered just by reading a tooltip.

Are we supposed to all sit here and say wowww, Sveik is such a good warlock because he talks crap to other locks who come to ask questions?
I never said you should, I don't run around looking for approval. And for your information, I've been answering quite a few questions in multiple threads on these sub-forums alone.

Grow up dude, and take care of whatever is making you such an annoyed, unhelpful, sh!tty person.
How can you even sit there and make such assumptions. I'm a very helpful person, I'm a great guy, I have a good job, I'm generally happy with my life.
Does me getting rather annoyed at how some people need to have their hands held make me immature? No, it bloody doesn't.

So what does this have anything to do with anything other than trying to reinforce to others your misguided opinion of me.

Anyway, that's all from me in this thread. If you want to continue arguing with me, take it up in-game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]