Stone Guard is way too difficult

If you are really having trouble with tank swaps, just do what we did. Have the one dps watch bars and tell the solo tank to taunt the current petrify dog at 30. Then right as the explode goes off taunt the 3rd dog. Voila. You now have all three dogs stacked and are solo tanking it. You will get an explode that isn't lined up every so often (due to the delay in the selection of petrify) but it's easily healed through.

The only requirement is that the 2nd dog to get petrify needs to be the one at 60 energy. This whole combo setup should be 33% of the time (66% * 50%).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
if you are really having trouble with tank swaps, just do what we did. Have the one dps watch bars and tell the solo tank to taunt the current petrify dog at 30.

We just had the tank that was on the one dog do this. Was a lot easier for her to call that !@#$ out. I had to make sure we had the correct petrified mob.
Edited by Nastirr on 10/12/2012 6:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the easy mode for tanks is as such for 10 man

1 tank pulls all 3, when one guardian puts up the buff, the 2nd tank taunts one of the other guardians

when the guardian with the buff reaches ~50% energy, the 2nd tank taunts it to him, the raid follows this dog to dps, mind chains as you move

now if the next buff is with the tank with only 1 guardian, he taunts the guardian that just exploded (that has 0 energy), otherwise it will be the guardian right next to the one that just exploded and you do nothing just keep derpsing

repeat, win

mind chains they are the only real issue with doing it this way
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have to say, it's a little rough for a first boss on 25-man normal. Having the 4 dogs up at the same time makes the swapping more complex while people are still learning.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Wow, I showed up to this party late. Did anyone ask this guy if he was a savior yet? It seems to be the only thing missing from the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
the easy mode for tanks is as such for 10 man

1 tank pulls all 3, when one guardian puts up the buff, the 2nd tank taunts one of the other guardians

No wonder why so many 10m's suck at this fight. You guys can't even pull the silly fight right. You never stack all 3 together EVER...it causes a large excess in energy gain. Pull 2 together and 1 to the side. Always tank the empowered add in teh group of 2. Taunt the lowest energy add together with the empowered add and profit. Switch according to energy levels on non empowered adds. SILLY 10ms. TRICKS ARE FOR KIDS!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Look its easier then you think. Your just worried about failing. Just mark the boss and set focus to the solo one from start and then you can have 3 bars on screen at all times. Also let the duo tank take the third for about 5 seconds so when you switch you dont need to click fast and mess it up. Not that hard. just focus.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
10-man on this fight is real easy. 50% of the time you don't need to do anything, otherwise you just taunt a single dog.

25-man... it's rough. We've had quite a few instances of "okay, 2 dogs at 50, 1 at 70, one at 85. exploding one is at 50. I'll taunt the exploding guy at 72, while i tank the one at 70. at exactly 92 energy, third tank, take it off me. the second it explodes, run away- tank 1 takes him back immediately"

If OP is talking about 25, I can entirely understand where he's coming from. If your tanks don't have a lot of coordination the fight is hell. If he's talking about 10, or has even one tank that's comfortable telling the other two what to do, then yeah it's a big L2P issue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
25-man... it's rough. We've had quite a few instances of "okay, 2 dogs at 50, 1 at 70, one at 85. exploding one is at 50. I'll taunt the exploding guy at 72, while i tank the one at 70. at exactly 92 energy, third tank, take it off me. the second it explodes, run away- tank 1 takes him back immediately"

If OP is talking about 25, I can entirely understand where he's coming from. If your tanks don't have a lot of coordination the fight is hell. If he's talking about 10, or has even one tank that's comfortable telling the other two what to do, then yeah it's a big L2P issue.

So much this. We're trying it on 25-man, and while I don't agree with the OP that it's "Way too hard!", I do agree that it seems overtuned compared to 10-man. It's pretty rough for a first raid boss of the first instance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
10/12/2012 11:37 AMPosted by Dekkar
So much this. We're trying it on 25-man, and while I don't agree with the OP that it's "Way too hard!", I do agree that it seems overtuned compared to 10-man. It's pretty rough for a first raid boss of the first instance.

I think its the perfect first boss for a raid tier. It's not overly challenging or a severe gear check but it does have mechanics and if you can't do them you will fail.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
We didn't down it yet, but only 1 night of attempts and I feel its pretty easy. The 'difficulty' comes in just getting down the timing. But mechanics are all pretty basic:

1. avoid bad stuff on the ground - cobalt mines and azure pools
2. keep tethered people together
3. tank swap

If you can do omnitron, you can do this fight. If you can't do this fight...you've got issues.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

I think its the perfect first boss for a raid tier. It's not overly challenging or a severe gear check but it does have mechanics and if you can't do them you will fail.

I think it's perfect in 10-man, but it's not perfect in 25-man. We almost downed it first week in there when people were still in greens and early blues, then we switched to 25 and all hell broke loose. Dealing with the 3-tank dance is significantly more difficult than the 2 tank dance, plus the room is the same size in both difficulties, but purple pools are everywhere in 25-man and they aren't in 10-man.
Edited by Dekkar on 10/12/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
18 Dwarf Hunter
nerf this pos boss, this difficulty should not be the first MOP raid entry boss

way to attract pug for trying raid with this giant !@#$-blocking bs
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I like how these troll topics hit 6 pages, then people start recreating alts to troll it

10/12/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Dekkar
I think it's perfect in 10-man, but it's not perfect in 25-man. We almost downed it first week in there when people were still in greens and early blues, then we switched to 25 and all hell broke loose. Dealing with the 3-tank dance is significantly more difficult than the 2 tank dance, plus the room is the same size in both difficulties, but purple pools are everywhere in 25-man and they aren't in 10-man.

Purple pools are..... by far the easiest mechanic to avoid.

Cobalt mines on the other hand, without stacking Ranged is pretty bad.

10/12/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Wisemuffins

There hits a point, about the 4th empower, when you get into a Rythm (at least on heroic, where they don't lose energy on 25), I like that point as the fight seems very consistent.

the first few empowers, hitting the wrong order hurt

Oh, and Jasper NEVER overloading, or only getting it once it's been used up to the 70's, makes the fight almost undoable at low gear levels (Heroic 25), but it's one of those things you just have to deal with, walking into heroics week 2.
Edited by Postonforums on 10/13/2012 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
AhahAHAAHAHHAHAhahaahAHAHhHahhaAHHah

This thread has 6 pages.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Our guild downed it on the first night on 25m and we aren't great so I certainly don't think it's extremely hard. Just takes awhile to get a good strategy for tank swaps. I applaud our 3 tanks who did it.

My perspective on it: very light enrage timer so it's just most important for dps to not stand in stuff as much as possible and slow down the fight. Concentrate more on surviving and less on max dps. No mechanics outside of those un-mitigated explosions which do a ton of damage and 1 shot you.

Having said that: I don't know why they have the 4 dogs in 25 and 3 in 10m. While its not very difficult on 25m it is much easier in 10m. Now because of raid comps you can't have a 3 tank fight on 10m so I think they should've just done 3 dogs on 25m and ramped up the difficulty some other way. Should be more balanced than it is.
Edited by Ningjing on 10/14/2012 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
10/13/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Ningjing
My perspective on it: no enrage timer

7:30 enrage, both normal and heroic
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I could agree with this post, but i remember learning most of the fights in Dragon Soul. It was difficult, especially Zon'ozz, but we got through it eventually, even if it took a few weeks to down even the first boss. We get him lower and lower every week, and we figure its a gear thing... So no I don't think it's difficult at all. Mine bombs are a pain in the !@#$ though haha
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
10/13/2012 08:53 PMPosted by Postonforums
My perspective on it: no enrage timer

Hmm, didn't know that. Not a very tough enrage timer though. Our dps wasn't going full force and wasn't greatly geared. Will correct though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
10/14/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Ningjing

Hmm, didn't know that. Not a very tough enrage timer though. Our dps wasn't going full force and wasn't greatly geared. Will correct though.

8 minute enrage timer to get down 103.8 million health on 10 man. To this with 3 healers, you basically only have 6 people doing damage, due to one tank being on a generally immune target. To get the boss down on the exact second of enrage, you need a raid dps of 216250 dps, or 36k+ per person. Generally you are going to want to have about 40k+ dps per dps and tank so that it doesn't tax the healers as long nor will you have to worry as much about pushing that time. With that level of dps you will have about 50 additional seconds of wiggle room.

OT: My guild is currently having legendary issues with this boss (we aren't actually starting the progression group full time yet, but some of us are trying to learn the fights ahead of time). The primary issue we are having is mostly involving the first petrification. If the lone Guard starts with petrify, we run into massive issues where we get screwed over on energy with the dangerous possibility of 2 overloads at one time due to various circumstances, but otherwise the tanks (myself and a pug we have been using regularly) have gotten the swapping down. Our major issue is a combo of low dps (a hunter was only pulling 20k) which causes the healers to oom as we can barely push down 50% after 4+ minutes of fighting. That said I do feel this is more of a gear issue and it should be rectified in the coming days, and of course if it doesn't I'm sure I'm going to offend loads of people as I tell them how to play their class etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]