prot glyph choice?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just dinged 90 and am looking around for tanking glyphs and im a noob, lol i admit it, so im coming to the forums for advice on which tanking glyphs i should get! :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
There is only one mandatory glyph:

Alabaster Shield.

That said, most bosses have far more physical damage than magic so on most fights id say you would want to have

Divine Protection.

Third glyph is up to you. Focused shield is the highest dps increase (but at the cost of your AS aoe potention) followed by Final Wrath.

Double jeopardy is a small dps increase if you switch targets alot.

Battle healer is a good choice if you use SoI. Avenging wrath gives you a nice hot.

HotR has a PITIFUL dps increase but if you suck at applying WB it could be a good choice.

WoG is bugged to where it works on Harsh word.

Harsh word hits like a truck but you are trading TONS of survival for damage. It makes a good glyph for fight where the boss flies out of melee range (think ony) or for when you offtank.

Rest are utility.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm actually not a fan of the DP glyph, seeing as we have physical mitigation so easy with SotR, but spell mitigation is a lot harder for a prot pally.

Alabaster Shield, for sure, is a good one. Personally, my other two defaults (for heroic tanking; haven't been tanking normal-Terrace though it's possible I will for LFR next week depending on queues) are Blinding Light (trash is the hardest part of most heroics, so an AoE stun is nice) and Holy Wrath (same deal, and Sha are elementals so it actually comes in real handy in a few places like Shadopan and Stormstout).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Imo, Glyph of Blinding Light is the single best glyph by far for 5-man tanking. Unglyphed blinding light, well, blinds, and the blind breaks on any damage, so unglyphed it's pretty useless beyond an aoe interrupt. Glyphed, it becomes an aoe 3-second stun which is ridiculously strong since it gives your healer time to catch up and you can kite away from stunned groups while dps attacks them. Useful for aoe kiting and surviving mispulls. Useful for telling your group to run out of the instance since the healer dc'd. Etc. High skill cap.

I'm still debating what my other two glyphs will be. I've never had threat problems so I don't understand why Alabaster Shield is so highly recommended (yay single target dps?). I'll probably end up going with Protector of the Innocent since I find myself supplementing healers with WoG and Prism a lot. After that, i dunno...Battle Healer for same reason maybe.

The tank glyphs are mostly ho-hum

edit: good point above about Holy Wrath. The elementals in Shado-pan are nasty little things, and if you push Glory of Panda Hero or Challenge modes, you'll want a way to reduce the damage from elementals in Jade Serpent as well.
Edited by Slalin on 10/7/2012 2:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Yeah I could see Glyph of Blinding Light being useful for 5 mans. I've used blinding light as a pseudo interrupt from time to time, especially if it's a situation where I have a lot of mobs, and some caster is casting something but I can't exactly figure out which one it is in time, so I just pop Blindling Light to stop them for a little bit.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
10/07/2012 02:29 AMPosted by Slalin
I've never had threat problems so I don't understand why Alabaster Shield is so highly recommended (yay single target dps?).

Most people have challenging content in mind, where DPS checks can be a very big deal and having one of your primary damage dealers hitting much harder is well worth a glyph slot, yes even for a tank for whom raw damage output is a lesser concern.

If there were a decent survival or utility option, I would of course go with that. But comparing the occasional AoE stun of Blinding Light versus the very large DPS boost from Alabaster Shield, for instance, it's pretty clear that in 99.9% of situations Alabaster Shield is going to have a bigger impact on the group's success or, at the very least, just making the dungeon/raid go smoother.
Edited by Tailosaurus on 10/7/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/07/2012 01:45 AMPosted by Jaximus
I'm actually not a fan of the DP glyph, seeing as we have physical mitigation so easy with SotR, but spell mitigation is a lot harder for a prot pally.

While true, if you are going against a boss who is 99% physical damage having an extra physical reduction CD is better than magic only one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
If you haven't tried it....

Go with Seal of Insight + Glyph of the Battle healer for tanking 5 mans

plus two other glyph of your choice.

Make sure that you're close to hit and "soft" expertise caps.

then be prepared for a surprise....

if you want spoilers

look here
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33061

and here

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1206027-Prot-Seal-of-Truth-Censure-Nerf-Seal-of-Insight-thoughts

look at post #15

I can tell you SoI + Battle healer is very good for heroic dungeons and apparently it gets better in raids.

There just might be two mandatory glyphs...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Seal of Insight is definitely the tanking glyph now. It's neck and neck with Sacred Shield for my healing taken in raid, and between the two of them 40-50% of my total healing received comes from myself. I feel like a Death Knight with the self-heals, but prettier and more sparkly.

So far, I swap out my third glyph per fight, but always run with Battle Healer and Alabaster Shield.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If you haven't tried it....

Go with Seal of Insight + Glyph of the Battle healer for tanking 5 mans

plus two other glyph of your choice.

Make sure that you're close to hit and "soft" expertise caps.

then be prepared for a surprise....

if you want spoilers

look here
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33061

and here

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1206027-Prot-Seal-of-Truth-Censure-Nerf-Seal-of-Insight-thoughts

look at post #15

I can tell you SoI + Battle healer is very good for heroic dungeons and apparently it gets better in raids.

There just might be two mandatory glyphs...

There's no way that won't be nerfed lol.

Looking through the challenge mode leaderboard, there's quite a diverse selection of viable glyph choices for that apprantly. Lots of Alabaster and Battle Healer tho.

There's a Stevex guy who looks to be the best prot paladin and he takes Battle Healer, Blinding Light, and Divine Protection. No Alabaster.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well you should always consider the needs of your group.

Alot of challenge modes are being done with 1 tank and 4 dps. Battlehealer in that situation is incredible as you can act like a mini healer as you tank.

Once again if there is no magical component there is no reason NOT to take DP. Why would you give up a perfectly good tanking cd?

Alabaster is a HUGE dps increase. So unless damage is irrelevant to you there is no reason not to take it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Just did my first instance with Battle Healer.

It's lol. My healer barely used mana and I was double pulling

I'm sold.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I run with :

Battle Healer (Great glyph for self healing - perfect for 5 mans)
Holy Wrath (Saves your backside more than you'd expect)
Alabaster Shield (Love the increased DPS!)

Plus seal of insight - always

It's a great 5 man setup and I don't find the knockdown on Blinding Light to be much of a big deal - as a tank I WANT them to hit me fast and often for stacking Veng. Battle Healer & Insight counter balance the extra incoming DPS well.

Oh and I personally run with Light's Hammer as well for large AOE pulls - more aggro and yes, MORE HEALING!

Prot Pallies are in a good place at the moment and I'd be loathe to see any sort of nerf for them from this point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]