Chaos Bolt pvp

100 Orc Warlock
Way too many forum posts about this, so before you make one please read this.

You are wrong. Flat out. I do not pvp, but I know about Warlocks. Affliction has higher burst potential than destro, and so do many other classes. You just got a little scared when you saw a big number go up on your screen. Please don't cry nerf when all you see is a big number, and think about nothing else that goes in to it.

Instead of crying about how hard you got hit for and wishing for a nerf, maybe you could spend your time better learning your class and learn how to counter?

I know all I'll get is trolls on here, but have at it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I agree. It's really the only spell from one spec that hits that hard. Other classes do just as much in 2-3 instants therefore taking less time. But, since we're warlocks, I heard we can't have an opinion about our class :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Shatterdsoul
destro has higher survivabilty becuase of emeber tap

That's the entire issue right there. If we are using chaos bolt it is at the cost of our survivability. Chaos bolt is not free!

Let's see how mages would like it if they had to spend fingers of frost procs to cast ice barrier.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Way too many forum posts about this, so before you make one please read this.

You are wrong. Flat out. I do not pvp, but I know about Warlocks. Affliction has higher burst potential than destro, and so do many other classes. You just got a little scared when you saw a big number go up on your screen. Please don't cry nerf when all you see is a big number, and think about nothing else that goes in to it.

Instead of crying about how hard you got hit for and wishing for a nerf, maybe you could spend your time better learning your class and learn how to counter?

I know all I'll get is trolls on here, but have at it.

Rahl

As in Darken Rahl? And Richard Rahl? And etc?

If so, I love you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Destro gives you the insurance to get your kill with our Shadow Burn and if you balance the fears and your silence just right, you can rip down anyone. Was able to pull off 11mill damage in an all out war on Stables in AB.

Aff, people hate the movement reduction from KJC, I do as well, but I'm still #*%*!#@%#@ face with the full dotting, and channeling through pillars or behind walls. The MG or SD actualyl benefit from KJC being that the longer they cast, the more ticks go off from the channel since the channel time is increased, which brings in no dps loss. The KJC for Destro is a endurance & should not be used.

Aff has more capability since we can attack while being under attack (meaning mostly from melee). While Destro, yes, can do the same thing, cannot be as effcient at it being that we have to cast incinerate or Chaos bolt.

I personally save my embers for mass immolating groups and knocking out people with SB & then using them for healing if needed.
Edited by Ðarkmagician on 10/7/2012 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I agree with everything you said.

Affliction has higher burst potential than destro

Not sure if i agree with this though. Affliction can do higher dmg, but i wouldn't say burst dmg.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
10/07/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Ðarkmagician
The MG or SD actualyl benefit from KJC being that the longer they cast, the more ticks go off from the channel since the channel time is increased, which brings in no dps loss.

I don't think you understand how that works. If the channel time is increased, the time between the ticks is also increased. The benefit you perceive doesn't exist.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Even if that's the case, I'm still doing serious damage. Although, it says that the channel time is increased and our MG does damage at a fixed time, so regardless of the increase, it just adds more time for more ticks. Not saying it ticks faster, I'm saying it just lasts longer.
Edited by Ðarkmagician on 10/7/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock

Rahl

As in Darken Rahl? And Richard Rahl? And etc?

If so, I love you.

Yes. I was originally a BE male warlock. seemed very Darken Rahl-ish to me :D

Not sure if i agree with this though. Affliction can do higher dmg, but i wouldn't say burst dmg.

I don't mean in a single hit, but over 5-10 seconds I believe it does. In an arena setting you won't have full embers, so chaining 4 chaos bolts is not a factor, all you'll get is 1 MAYBE 2. While in 10 seconds afflic will have 2 haunts and at least 1 full MG cast with DoTs and all.

Correct me if I'm wrong though
Edited by Rahl on 10/7/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Guys you don't know how to word it >.> Yea affliction gives you higher burst, but destro is the epitome the absolute definition of perfectly controlled burst. This is why ppl QQ about Chaos Bolt, and not yea Dragon's Roar. Chaos bolt allows you to burst, on demand however you want.

Meaning as destro you can fear->Chaos Bolt->Shadowfury->Chaos Bolt->Silence-> execute. While affliction depends much more on the "flow" of things. AKA you can see afflic burst coming and respond fairly effectively to it, but if done right you will not see chaos bolt coming, nor will you be able to respond to it!

Is it OP? Just as "op" as frost mages were in cata....
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
There is almost never a time where I will have more than one ember charge, let alone 3 like in your scenario.
Guys you don't know how to word it >.> Yea affliction gives you higher burst, but destro is the epitome the absolute definition of perfectly controlled burst. This is why ppl QQ about Chaos Bolt, and not yea Dragon's Roar. Chaos bolt allows you to burst, on demand however you want.

Meaning as destro you can fear->Chaos Bolt->Shadowfury->Chaos Bolt->Silence-> execute. While affliction depends much more on the "flow" of things. AKA you can see afflic burst coming and respond fairly effectively to it, but if done right you will not see chaos bolt coming, nor will you be able to respond to it!

Is it OP? Just as "op" as frost mages were in cata....
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/07/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Frinkls

That may be the case in duels, 1v1 situations. In pvp that rarely happens, bgs/arenas/rbgs. If you get two chaos bolts off, you're lucky
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

I don't mean in a single hit, but over 5-10 seconds I believe it does. In an arena setting you won't have full embers, so chaining 4 chaos bolts is not a factor, all you'll get is 1 MAYBE 2. While in 10 seconds afflic will have 2 haunts and at least 1 full MG cast with DoTs and all.

Correct me if I'm wrong though

Oh no, in arenas i would completley agree with you. Different story in bg's thought haha
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
10/07/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Rahl

Indeed. There is actually a Darken, Richard, Kahlan, Zedd, and other SOT character toons on Alliance side in my Battlegroup. I know it's the same person, because lets face it, not many people read/know the series.

But they are alliance.

So it irritates me.

So I kill them on sight.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Affliction has its place and Destruction has its place.

Affliction can do more mobile damage, and more pressure on multiple targets.

Destruction on the other had can lower the boom when left alone. They can actually kill a healer because of the way they produce their damage. As affliction it is much easier for a healer to heal through the single target damage.

So each has its place and both can be a ton of fun to play.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/07/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Baalsamael

Indeed. There is actually a Darken, Richard, Kahlan, Zedd, and other SOT character toons on Alliance side in my Battlegroup. I know it's the same person, because lets face it, not many people read/know the series.

But they are alliance.

So it irritates me.

So I kill them on sight.

I'm pretty sure those books were on the best seller list at one time or another so I'm not sure they are all that obscure. Good series though.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I have a moderately geared ret pally with ~50% resil and 37% dmg reduction due to plate. Most players in bgs have 325ish health. Tonight I was hit with a chaos bolt for 214k effective. That means the initial dmg was well over 440k. I'm sorry, but you are wrong. No other class comes even close to that, even with 3 instants. The idea that you can practically one-shot a pvp geared player is beyond ridiculous. I'm sure you love having that gigantic crit and think you are being mistreated when ppl call for a nerf, but the truth is, this is a sadly, and badly, misbalanced spell. Contrary to the tired 'learn to play' song, you cannot 'learn' to counter a one shot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I have a moderately geared ret pally with ~50% resil and 37% dmg reduction due to plate. Most players in bgs have 325ish health. Tonight I was hit with a chaos bolt for 214k effective. That means the initial dmg was well over 440k. I'm sorry, but you are wrong. No other class comes even close to that, even with 3 instants. The idea that you can practically one-shot a pvp geared player is beyond ridiculous. I'm sure you love having that gigantic crit and think you are being mistreated when ppl call for a nerf, but the truth is, this is a sadly, and badly, misbalanced spell. Contrary to the tired 'learn to play' song, you cannot 'learn' to counter a one shot.

Somebody doesn't understand how pvp power works. Nice necro btw.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Let's try something a little easier for you then. All things equal, pvp power + spell power + whatever versus pvp resil + armor offset + whatever other offset you want still adds up to a one shot given that it is unlikely that the chaos bolt is the first and only shot a player takes in a bg. There is no other toon that can do that, whatever you might like to think. No pvp encounter should be reduced to whether or not a lock has time to cast a single spell. That is what balance is supposed mitigate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]