Why is the Dungeon loot system not spec based

90 Human Paladin
A lot of the loot is class based not spec based, for example a Paladin healer or a Warrior tank can roll on a Dps Str Trinket, or a Caster can roll need on Healing gear.

I have heard "Well, what if a tank gear drops and the tank already has it, without this system the DPS and/or healer that would need it for offspec wouldn't be able to need on it if loot was spec based." <----- To that..... Well then why is there a "trade to other party members within 2 hours" implemented in the loot system? Why is there a /roll macro available?

If you que in as a healer you should get healing gear. Dps, dps gear and tank gets tank gear. If you want tank gear, then que in as tank. Most of us grinded dungeons for days to get the right ilvl gear in order to participate for Heroics and such, yet there are some who que in as one spec, then roll need on gear for another spec that they don't even have the right ilvl requirement to enter as that spec, in other words they are getting gear easily handed to them.

We have dailies that take 24 days of grinding to get to exalted. In dungeons there are numerous "pauses," cinematics, elevator rides, and many time consuming yet unnecessary blanks we endure. Surely the reason that "/roll and trading is just too time consuming for dungeons" is not the only viable aspect of keeping the loot system the way it is now.

Countless times people been jibbed of their gear because of this loot system, which could have saved them hours of frustration and disappointment. Why change and get rid of things that are necessary like "Quick and the dead" and "Have group will travel" and yet keep such strange aspects of the game?
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Priest
Because casual content like LFD is designed to gear up your offspecs?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
The reason for this has been stated as Blizzard intending dungeons to be used to gear off-specs.

"Trade to other party members within 2 hours" was implemented due to people rolling on things by accident and having them bound to them, and the number of tickets that were having to be dealt with by GMs to solve this.

Going just by the forums here, it seems people are pretty much fairly split on the issue.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
All is loot is to be shared amongst the group.

5 people contributed to the kill.

5 people are entitled to the loot.

Regardless of spec/roll/use/class/upgrade/etc, all loot is to be shared.

If the dice are lit, roll need.
Edited by Staed on 10/8/2012 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
"Quick and the dead" and "Have group will travel" were not necessary. They just made getting to your body back faster and making everyone lazy because only one person had to go to the raid.

And you so never did it before. You so never needed on something your main spec did not need. You are that pure.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well Darisarix I'm sure gearing up your primary spec comes before gearing up your offspec. I don't see your logic
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/08/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Ëë
Well Darisarix I'm sure gearing up your primary spec comes before gearing up your offspec. I don't see your logic

What if they already finished gearing their primary spec?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
On my warrior, when building a dps spec, I will queue as tank for faster runs. Dps is his MAIN spec, just not his CURRENT spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
@Jaridarvin

Then Que as your secondary spec and gear up. Why are you queing as one spec and taking gear from someone who rightfully qued as the spec they wish too roll gear on?
Edited by Ëë on 10/8/2012 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ninja-looting-blizzard-s-stance

and

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/loot-settings

MS>OS is not supported; never has been. You are free to run MS>OS when you form your own groups.

You're welcome.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
In his dev blog, Ghostcrawler said that they're currently going to keep LFR loot spec based and let OS be geared in dungeons.

So the answer is: Because Blizzard wants it that way. I know that's not a great answer. Buuut that seems to be all there is.
Reply Quote
@Jaridarvin

Then Que as your secondary spec and gear up. Why are you queing as one spec and taking gear from someone who rightfully qued as the spec they wish too roll gear on?

Personally? Because I don't wanna spend 20 minutes sitting there waiting for the DPS queue.

Yes, my main spec is DPS, and my OS is tanking. But unless I'm doing dailies in between queues? I don't queue as DPS. I see no need to wait to get into a dungeon if I'm not doing anything else, plus it helps groups out by getting a tank into their group.

Granted, my gear is essentially the same in both specs, so I'm not the best example. However, that should give a little insight as to why people queue how they do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In his dev blog, Ghostcrawler said that they're currently going to keep LFR loot spec based and let OS be geared in dungeons.

So the answer is: Because Blizzard wants it that way. I know that's not a great answer. Buuut that seems to be all there is.

Best answer yet...

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ninja-looting-blizzard-s-stance

and

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/loot-settings

MS>OS is not supported; never has been. You are free to run MS>OS when you form your own groups.

You're welcome.

In other words, you like scumming people who que in as the spec they wish to obtain gear for. I can already tell you are someone who would ninja someone just because "it's possible."
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Personally? Because I don't wanna spend 20 minutes sitting there waiting for the DPS queue.

Yes, my main spec is DPS, and my OS is tanking. But unless I'm doing dailies in between queues? I don't queue as DPS. I see no need to wait to get into a dungeon if I'm not doing anything else, plus it helps groups out by getting a tank into their group.

Granted, my gear is essentially the same in both specs, so I'm not the best example. However, that should give a little insight as to why people queue how they do.

Don't get me wrong, I've done that too. However, if I qued in as a tank to get DPS gear because I am impatient of the DPS que and I know that I can be a good tank to run my party members through smoothly, I would first ask the DPS or Healer if I may offspec. If they need it, they rightfully deserve it. Why? Because they qued as that spec. I guess it all comes down to the scummy inhumane individuals who take it even after the main spec roller begs him not to roll need on it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
@Jaridarvin

Yeah and how annoying is it when you are in lets say your healing spec, and a feral druid comes in and wins every single piece of gear you needed?

Or when you've ran a dungeon numerous amounts of times for one item only to see it drop and be lost to an off spec roll?

Not to mention the amount of absolutely ridiculous things that people can need on, I can need on every single strength cloak, strength rings/necks and trinkets/weapons. Make sense?

No it doesn't.
Edited by Asmaru on 10/8/2012 6:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah and how annoying is it when you are in lets say your healing spec, and a feral druid comes in and wins every single piece of gear you needed?

Or when you've ran a dungeon numerous amounts of times for one item only to see it drop and be lost to an off spec roll?

Truly? I don't mind. I'm the type of individual who sat there for three months farming the Fox Kit before it became buyable with TB Tokens. And watched a friend get it on his third kill.

It took me over 2000.

Yes, I lost the roll. Yeah, it's a tad frustrating. But I queue up again, get more gold and cloth to sell, and come out on top in the end. I'll see the loot again eventually. It's not like it will only drop once and then never drop again.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
10/08/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Ëë
In other words, you like scumming people who que in as the spec they wish to obtain gear for. I can already tell you are someone who would ninja someone just because "it's possible."

Heehee, that's funny. I think I've said in every other thread about this (yes there are many) that I don't roll on OS since I follow the MS before OS rule personally. I'd also like to note that this isn't the proper use of the word "ninja".

But you asked a question and I answered it. No need to be hostile.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Truly? I don't mind. I'm the type of individual who sat there for three months farming the Fox Kit before it became buyable with TB Tokens. And watched a friend get it on his third kill.

It took me over 2000.

Yes, I lost the roll. Yeah, it's a tad frustrating. But I queue up again, get more gold and cloth to sell, and come out on top in the end. I'll see the loot again eventually. It's not like it will only drop once and then never drop again.

See and that's fine, you are perfectly allowed to feel that way.

And I am more or less the same, it's not like it makes me rage or anything I just /sigh and do it again.

My post was more so directed at the people in this thread who just act like lol "if the dice is lit up need it"

That attitude is the whole reason lfr loot system was changed and rightfully so.

They are nothing more than selfish pigs who shouldn't even be allowed to queue period.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Questing is spec based, so how is somebody supposed to get gear for a spec other then their current one iif they can't quest for it and you don't even want them to do dungeons for it. Oh BTW in leveling dungeons there will always be somebody there who needs an item because its a leveling dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
@Jaridarvin

Back in Cataclysm, I wanted to get rid of my healing spec and go Tanking.'

Oh look I have no gear, and all that !@#$ in the AH is so costy I can only buy this ring.

There you go. I spammed dungeons as my Moonkin and got my set, and changed to be a Guardian/Feral druid.

Unless they're stealing it from another player, I don't give a crap.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this part. If we can only take stuff that is selected for our spec, I could go into a dungeon naked in resto, but as a dps. People question and I would say "A forum said I can only roll gear for the spec I came in as"

I would do very bad and get kicked in 30 seconds flat. That's why we don't do it til we have the gear from the dungeons to get it all set up.
Edited by Jaridavin on 10/8/2012 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]