Damage over time spells not functioning right

90 Dwarf Hunter
A very frustrating bug. Spells that have mutli-turn effects stop functioning if the pet that cast them dies. This includes burn damage from things like "Scorched Earth" and "Flame Breath". This is particularly game breaking considering I have an elemental team that relies heavily on these DoTs to be effective.

In other cases, with delayed spells like "Ice Tomb" and "Stun Seed", if the pet that cast them dies before they land, the stun effect will trigger but the spell will deal no damage. A hotfix for this sort of thing would be great, considering I can't possibly imagine that this is functioning as intended and is seriously hampering a lot of otherwise powerful and useful abilities from even being even remotely useful.

Please bump if you've encountered this. The sooner we can get it fixed, the better of the game will be.
Edited by Skorne on 10/10/2012 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Orc Hunter
It would also be nice if there were some logic behind how many rounds things last. I just fought a rat that went first on the round and used 'survive'...lived through three damaging effects, round ended, attacked me, and then lived through two more damaging effects before the end of that round came and 'survive' fell off. But yet Lil' Deathwing's elementium bolt says it lands after three rounds, when if you cast it in round 1, it will land at the end of round 3. And of course, if Lil' Deathwing dies before the end of round 3, it does no damage.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Priest
I've encountered similar problems. It's incredibly frustrating that things are "working" this way. Scorched earth isn't applying the dmg or the burning effect and things like survive are lasting for multiple rounds.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I think what you guys are talking about with survive is a misunderstanding of the speed system. If the pet casting survive is faster, then it will essentially last two rounds. I don't particularly have a problem with this because if the ability only lasted the round that it was cast, if the pet was slower, the move would essentially be useless. If anything this just adds to the appeal of speedy pets that have evasion/survival type moves. Unless I'm missing some greater bug causing survival to just keep a pet alive for half the game, I don't actually see that aspect as a problem.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
10/12/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Skorne
I think what you guys are talking about with survive is a misunderstanding of the speed system. If the pet casting survive is faster, then it will essentially last two rounds. I don't particularly have a problem with this because if the ability only lasted the round that it was cast, if the pet was slower, the move would essentially be useless. If anything this just adds to the appeal of speedy pets that have evasion/survival type moves. Unless I'm missing some greater bug causing survival to just keep a pet alive for half the game, I don't actually see that aspect as a problem.

Yup, this is why speed is such an important stat in pet battles. This same phenomenon can be seen with skills like Burrow or Fly, which make the pet unattackable. If they go first, then cast it, and end up second on the next round, the pet basically received two rounds of invulnerability. The essence of survive is that it lasts until the end of the next round after it is cast. Thus, if the user is faster, it can survive damage from the current round, the next round, and still pop off a good hit on the third round after casting Survive before being vulnerable to a killing blow.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Warrior
Yeah, as others have said, that is my understanding of how things like one round invulnerabilities work. They last until the end of the next round from when they were cast.

However, I'm also not sure dots not doing damage on a death is a bug or that they should persist through death. I've definitely lost fights because I had a pet die with ice tomb or a bomb ready, but I think the dots stopping on death provide another layer of strategy. Do you risk dying to get that extra hit off? Or do you switch out pets to make sure your ice tomb drops?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
10/12/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Tinkor
However, I'm also not sure dots not doing damage on a death is a bug or that they should persist through death. I've definitely lost fights because I had a pet die with ice tomb or a bomb ready, but I think the dots stopping on death provide another layer of strategy. Do you risk dying to get that extra hit off? Or do you switch out pets to make sure your ice tomb drops?

I think it is an intended design - and one that I actually enjoy trying to manipulate. I think it adds an extra layer of complexity because it forces you to consider several moves in advance, and as a result, swap out a pet earlier than you might otherwise intend. In PvP battles, you can try to anticipate this swap and pull out a good counter, or try to burn down the pet that cast the debuff (or use a snare) to prevent the debuff from continuing.

The alternative is one of those situations of "whelp, there's a debuff ticking on my guy that's eventually going to kill him. Guess I might as well just keep him in the match till he goes."

I think Blizzard does need to remove the debuff from afflicted pets in the UI if this is in fact an intended design. Leaving it on is only confusing to the player base.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
If it is intended, then they have to fix the fact that if a second pet refreshes the dot of a dead pet on the target that the damage starts again. I have seen on a few occasions in the wild where I would kill the first pet, the next one of the same type comes out and apply the dot again and I take no damage from it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]