What do monks bring over other healers?

90 Orc Warlock
Looking at the various healing specs and the utility they bring to a raid, it seems to me that monks bring the least. Unless I'm missing something they don't bring any impressive raid cooldowns only situational ones that almost don't seem worth mentioning compared to stuff like the other healers bring. I'm not trying to put down monks since i happen to enjoy mine i'm leveling its just that looking at the potential of them compared to my shaman I almost feel I should just stick to my shaman primarily
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Revival Level 90
7.0% of base mana
Instant 3 min cooldown
Requires Serpent Stance
Instantly heals all party and raid members within vision for 13684 (+ 500% of SpellPower), and clears them of any harmful Magical, Poison and Disease effects.

Mastery pops healing orbs EVERYWHERE.

a hot that spreads to injured targets.

fistweaving
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Revival Level 90
7.0% of base mana
Instant 3 min cooldown
Requires Serpent Stance
Instantly heals all party and raid members within vision for 13684 (+ 500% of SpellPower), and clears them of any harmful Magical, Poison and Disease effects.

a hot that spreads to injured targets.

fistweaving

Revival is a terrible version of Tranq or the priest equivalent whose dispel mechanic might be used to save a raid never.

Healing Orbs are the new Lightwell.

The HoT spreads but does fairly low healing. Uplift is fairly good thought so w/e. I still think other healers have much better mechanics to heal the whole raid.

Fistweaving is awful for raids.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
still waiting to find a good monk healer at 90, everything i seen they don't have the throughput to last a whole fight when the tanks are getting pummeled AND the raid is taking lots of dmg
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
10/02/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Hokofu
still waiting to find a good monk healer at 90, everything i seen they don't have the throughput to last a whole fight when the tanks are getting pummeled AND the raid is taking lots of dmg

Monks don't have the tools to heal multiple people in instances of large incoming AoE damage. Uplift/Renewing Mist is unreliable due to the HoT spreading randomly along with Renewing Mist's CD and Uplift's 2 Chi cost or 15k mana cost with the Glyph (which may be very useful for fights where large amounts of damage are going out across the raid). Not to mention Uplift doesn't heal for that much even when it does manage to heal a lot of people. Mine heals for ~22k which out of 300k health pools isn't very much.

Our only way to heal multiple people for large amounts is Revival which has a 3 minute CD and is meant as a raid CD.

The exception is when everyone is stacked in melee range. Spinning Crane Kick is extremely strong when combined with Rushing Jade Wind but most healers have very strong heals that are melee range only.

We have ways but they aren't reliable.
Edited by Moine on 10/2/2012 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
10/02/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Moine

Monks don't have the tools to heal multiple people in instances of large incoming AoE damage. Uplift/Renewing Mist is unreliable due to the HoT spreading randomly along with Renewing Mist's CD and Uplift's 2 Chi cost or 15k mana cost with the Glyph (which may be very useful for fights where large amounts of damage are going out across the raid). Not to mention Uplift doesn't heal for that much even when it does manage to heal a lot of people. Mine heals for ~22k which out of 300k health pools isn't very much.

Our only way to heal multiple people for large amounts is Revival which has a 3 minute CD and is meant as a raid CD.

The exception is when everyone is stacked in melee range. Spinning Crane Kick is extremely strong when combined with Rushing Jade Wind but most healers have very strong heals that are melee range only.

We have ways but they aren't reliable.

All I see is a bunch of negative crap lmao how monks are sub-par basically in dps/tanking/healing to all classes. I'm going back to my damn lock
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Hokofu

That's why you have healing assignments.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I was about to say I havent even been grouped with a monk healer yet....
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
All the negativity in here is coming from folks that propably have no idea how to play the class yet.

Monks are gods of healing right now.
Reply Quote
60 Dwarf Hunter

g

hehe, blizz copied tera
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
10/02/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Notamonk
First of all no. Revival is amazing because it's INSTANT cast full raid heal+dispel. Healing spheres are a smart heal that require you to run over them or stand on them... I fail to see how they resemble Light well in any manner.

They are similar to Lightwell (pre-glyph) in that their effectiveness is directly proportional to how often your group members take the initiative to actually utilize them. Lightwell has the same issue, if people don't click it, it is quite literally worthless (hence the new glyph making it effectively automated). Our orbs have a slight advantage in that there's a possibility of raiders bumbling over them while doing their normal movement, but if they aren't actually trying to run into them when they need healing, the orbs are mostly wasted. This means Mastery can range from really good to completely worthless, depending on how aware your group members are.

Fistweaving can be very well utilized because of all of your smart heals it makes healing pretty thoughtless and easy while still doing damage and healing everyone around you for a % of damage done.
The goal of fistweaving is similar to disc priests dpsing.. they aren't meant to fistweave or dps the entire time. It's meant to be a filler for times in the raid when the healers don't need to be focusing purely on through put and popping cool downs, it's for when the fight is less healing intensive and instead of standing around doing nothing they can help with dps AND heal a small amount while doing so.

Problem is, Fistweaving isn't currently mana-sustainable, nor can it keep pace with a ranged healing style. It IS, however, advantageous in that you can put out a solid amount of DPS while healing, which will be good for enrage timers and challenge modes.
Edited by Daerius on 10/2/2012 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
[/quote]All I see is a bunch of negative crap lmao how monks are sub-par basically in dps/tanking/healing to all classes. I'm going back to my damn lock[/quote]

people are still learning the class and finding monks place among the more established classes. Chillax, we will get there. Its better to under powered than overpowered to begin with. FOTM players will leave the class faster that way.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I do not think it matters, i am going for achievements so i way out level my area so leveled 15 to 66 in nothing but instances and 90% of the time it was a monk healer. so does not matter what they bring you might as well get use to them lol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
I find myself struggling with mana on fights with lots of aoe damage going out. I'm doing fairly good aoe healing, but my mana goes so fast. Revival is a good cd, but on fights with alot of movement I'm finding it hard to keep channeling soothing mist consistently. Spinning crane kick does awesome aoe heals, but I go thru mana too fast
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Please, all monk specs need work.

If you want the highest degree of difficulty healer and the most hot bars, mistweaver is for you. Multiple play styles for it as well.

I hope most people get discouraged and go back to there old main.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Some of my concerns from previous beta expercience seem to be confirmed with things like mastery being subpar unless people watch for the orbs, and a lack of mobility. For now I'm gonna level my shaman to 90 since he's sounds like a far better toolkit for ten man. I will definitely keep at it with my monk though and atleast use him for pvp since i found that quite fun on the beta atleast with one. I really hope monks do get looked at since they seem to have some glaring issues with their specs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Please, all monk specs need work.

If you want the highest degree of difficulty healer and the most hot bars, mistweaver is for you. Multiple play styles for it as well.

I hope most people get discouraged and go back to there old main.

You mean people like me who got bored with their old class being simple don't exist?

No way!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Have you ever played a resto shaman or holy paladin? Their AoE heals pretty much require people to be stacked. Monks are better off than them in the spread out AoE department because of Renewing Mist and Uplift. All healers are more effective at AoE healing when the raid is stacked up, it's not unique to monks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]