Is there a top DPS class yet for PVE?

1 Draenei Shaman
I am thinking about coming back for MOP. I have one of every class and would like to know which classes are shining in DPS. That will help determine if I come back or not. I played a Feral Druid predominantly and had the BIS from Heroic DS before I left. However, I am reading that not too many feral DPS druids are happy. So, I am asking the community for their opinions. I am open to all classes as I have one of each at 85. However, I absolutely can't stand my hunter:D SO, I'm going to have to pass on him. Everyone else is fair game.

Also, bonus points if I get some feedback on which hybrids are the best. For example, I liked my druid because I had healing spec, Tank spec, and Boomy set. So, that was nice. Therefore, giving feedback on classes that are great DPS as well as Healers/Tanks would be well appreciated. I look forward to reading your posts! Thank you kindly to all who contribute.

-------

From what people have contributed, this is the consensus:

Should Play!

DK (4)
Warlock (5)
Mage (5)
Warrior (2)
Should Not Play!
Hunter (3)
Edited by Backslashlol on 10/3/2012 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
lol troll
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Shaman
Thanks Kalorea for your input. That is 1 for DKs and a -1 for Hunters! Maybe I should keep track. I'll edit my first post to keep track.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
10/02/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Kalorea
unacceptable as a pure.

Well this is just flawed, pures should be given no special treatment.

Also the simcraft data is no where close to complete so that point is also flawed.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Because not all 3 specs do the same amount, we have a higher chance of have a good spec. I play my class for enjoyment not because I do more damage then others.
Reply Quote
10/02/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Hiroran
Well this is just flawed, pures should be given no special treatment.

Pures should be given the special treatment of always getting a viable dps spec else they become a non viable class. They don't need to be at the top at all times. On the other hand it is unacceptable to let these classes slip to the bottom of the dps barrel , at any one time for whatever reason. This unless every class had a dps spec within 5% of the top spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Title: Is there a top DPS class yet for PVE
10/02/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Backslashlol
I am thinking about coming back for MOP.

All I read, roll your MAIN toon or the one YOU like.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i always top the metres by far on my frost DK, only challengers are warlocks, they can do some crazy damage
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
10/02/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Hiroran
Because not all 3 specs do the same amount, we have a higher chance of have a good spec. I play my class for enjoyment not because I do more damage then others.

You're going to enjoy the game a lot when you're replaced again and again for--oh wait, nevermind, you're a mage. Have fun, I guess.
Edited by Kanoi on 10/2/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
Mage and Warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I am sure once we get actual hard data and not just the simcraft junk data we will see. If the big raiders still use that World of Raids there will be plenty of data to parse averages from very soon. I figure a good solid two weeks of raid data globally will give pretty firm information.

A primary variable warning: gear, might want to wait a month to two months to go raid parsing just so the major players can have their mains all geared up into the optimal sets and gems.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
First off, there are no pures. A fury warrior is no more hybrid than a warlock, especially now when no one has gear for their main spec. In fact, a demo warlock is more hybrid than a warrior at this point with dark apotheosis up.

Also, forget simcraft and its data at this point. It assumes full t14 gear in a tank and spank fight. We a a long way from t14 and the Patchwerk style fights are few and far between. to me, the dps specs seem fairly close right now, with the strong aoe classes ruling for the time being. That will obviously change as the emphasis goes from aoe trash to raid bosses.

Play what you like. Learn it well and things will be ok. No matter what buffs or nerds come, you will be having fun.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
First off, there are no pures. A fury warrior is no more hybrid than a warlock, especially now when no one has gear for their main spec. In fact, a demo warlock is more hybrid than a warrior at this point with dark apotheosis up.

Also, forget simcraft and its data at this point. It assumes full t14 gear in a tank and spank fight. We a a long way from t14 and the Patchwerk style fights are few and far between. to me, the dps specs seem fairly close right now, with the strong aoe classes ruling for the time being. That will obviously change as the emphasis goes from aoe trash to raid bosses.

Play what you like. Learn it well and things will be ok. No matter what buffs or nerds come, you will be having fun.

qft,

10/02/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Kalorea
Well all 3 hunter specs are the bottom feeders right now. That's why I say it's simply unacceptable.

I never said that they were guaranteed to have a good spec, simply that the odds are in there favor. 2nd simcraft is not a reliable source of data for real raid fights typically. And scaling with gear completely invalidates it also.

This is also not saying simcraft is wrong, just that it isn't something to use as a source for nerfs/buffs quite yet.
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Paladin

WTF did you just type??? There aren't any pures? Holy crap everyone! When did blizzard delete rogues, warlocks, mages, and hunters!!!!

To address the pure aspect going on - a pure should always have at least one viable dps spec that is at least on par with everyone else viable spec(s) or above - otherwise it defeats the purpose of the class existing. Why bring them or play if something is better and in some cases has the option to do more (tank or heal)?

To address the OP: for DPS you can't go wrong with DK, Mage, or Lock right now.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Don't chase the meters if you can help it. Should start with classes you like the most (theme, aesthetic, guild/raid comp, etc) and work from there. You can make MOST classes/specs work, and there aren't many that are SO gimped atm that you won't be competitive... I'd say stay away from Hunter purely based on the "numbers" we've seen so far, but I am actually excited to see the things good ones are capable of doing in Challenges.

Druid may be a bit low after things scale up a bit, but if versatility is important to you, obviously there are none more versatile (and from what I've seen so far both DPS specs are decent... even Moonkin... for now).

As has been stated, DK/Mage/Lock all good, probably Warrior as well. If you want a healing offspec option, maybe even Enhance or Ret. Just try to make a decision based on what you like more than "what's tops this month?".
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
The SimC sample reports are just that — samples, intended to demonstrate the kind of output the tool can generate. The idea is that you download the tool, feed it your own profile, feed it the parameters of the type of encounter you want to simulate, and generate your own numbers.

Also, we don't know why yet, but all Mage specs, and all the specs clustered up near them, are simming a good 10-20% high right now. That's further exaggerated with Mages because they're maintaining perfect uptime on the L90 talents.

What the tool is still very good for right now is estimating the percentage changes you can expect from adjustments to your rotation, gear, talents, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]