Nat Pagle rep

90 Worgen Hunter
only from rare fish turnins, that dont drop in 200+ casts? or is there another way
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Having the same issue here. I got the Spinefish Alpha in about 20-ish casts in the Mere, but after trying 4 different zones and well over 500 casts in inland waters, I still have not gotten a Flying Tiger Gourami item today. Got one yesterday, and the day before, without issue.

I came close to 1000 casts for the Mimic Octopus item in Krasarang and never did see it drop. (I realize this one is rare, but dang... That's some horrible RNG right there.
Reply Quote
Nat can get stuffed, I'm not going to try befriend him if its this annoying. Only after I have exausted every other faction to the max and am desperate for something to do will I come back to this one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Todays farm for the 3 rep fish:
All casts made with 715 fishing (600+115)

138 casts in inkgill mere (Summit) for Spinefish Alpha

43 casts in cattail lake (Vo4w) for Flying Tiger Gourami (Near where the rare lure spawns)

76 casts in Anglers Warf (Karasang) for Mimic Octopus

I've fished in all 3 locations every reset and haven't had more then 200 casts per fish.
Edited by Wuzlo on 10/2/2012 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I got the Spinefish Alpha in about 20 mins. The Flying Tiger Gourami took about an hr. I gave up on the Mimic Octopus after 2 1/2hrs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Todays farm for the 3 rep fish:
All casts made with 715 fishing (600+115)

138 casts in inkgill mere (Summit) for Spinefish Alpha

43 casts in cattail lake (Vo4w) for Flying Tiger Gourami (Near where the rare lure spawns)

76 casts in Anglers Warf (Karasang) for Mimic Octopus

I've fished in all 3 locations every reset and haven't had more then 200 casts per fish.

I'm starting to wonder if the odds are better the higher level you are. All the fishing done was with 713 fishing, but I've not reached level 90 yet.

The first day I started fishing for the Mimic in Angler's Wharf, I fished up just shy of 800 fish and never got it. Next 3 days, same deal. Nothing but hundreds of casts and tons of Golden Carp.

Yesterday, I couldn't get the Flying Tiger to save my life. Sitting through 400+ casts every day is ridiculous. I'm patient when it comes to fishing, and nothing short of persistent, but I'm starting to get an Archaeology vibe with these fish, and that's disheartening. (Have yet to get any of the major BoA items across 4 maxed out alts: 600+ solves for Tol'Vir on this alt alone and nothing to show for it. =/)

It shouldn't take hours to fish up a single rep item, let alone 3 of them.

Edit: got the Flying Tiger today after 188 casts and 59 mins of time at Cattail Lake. Going to keep a log of my attempts daily and see what the data shows.
Edited by Tindomerel on 10/3/2012 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I think the key thing to remember with fishing is that going out and farming spcifically to reach a goal is extremely tedious. You are better off working on dailies that require you to fish, casting a line when you are waiting for a boat, raid, or rare spawn. Going out and throwing a 1000 casts for a rare fish is not going to bring you inner peace and harmony.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
From what I can tell the drop rate of the Nat Pagle fishing dailies has been nerfed all the hell.

Blizzard obviously doesn't want us to get Exalted with Nat in one month and so they created a crazy artificial gating system to slow us down.

It would have been better to decrease the rep gained through the quests then to nerf the droprate imo.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I caught one of the fish... Funny how those things work...
Edited by Conjor on 10/3/2012 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/03/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Jozie
I think the key thing to remember with fishing is that going out and farming spcifically to reach a goal is extremely tedious. You are better off working on dailies that require you to fish, casting a line when you are waiting for a boat, raid, or rare spawn. Going out and throwing a 1000 casts for a rare fish is not going to bring you inner peace and harmony.

This I understand completely. The main issue for me lies with the fact that at level 86, there are no other fishing dailies I can do in MoP. Those are all restricted to level 90 alts. There are no MoP dailies for me to work on period. Fishing these items, and working on cooking and the once daily farm tending, with leveling thrown in, is it.

I am utterly cool with the fact that some things are elusive. I fished up the Sea Turtle mount and the Dark Herring on multiple alts and enjoyed every second of doing so. I -like- fishing.

These rep items are for a specific goal: rep with Nat Pagle. There is zero other way to get rep with him. Can't get the rep if you can't even get the items. Can't run dungeons for it. There is no specific daily for it.

Like I said, I'm patient. I don't mind working for it. I've gotten a long way into cooking with the fish I'm fishing up to get these items, so it's not wasted time. I'd be doing it anyway. But if you toss out 1000+ casts in a day for several days and never see the quest item once, that's a frustratingly poor drop rate, especially when the items are used for something. The rare fish from old world fishing, like the massive lobster, the mightfish, etc., those weren't rep items. Those were vanity items for avid fishers to show persistence and love of fishing. IMO, there is a difference.

Anyway, I'm going to see what happens on the way to level 90. My luck is gotta turn around eventually. I'm enjoying the heck out of this expansion except for this one teeny quibble. :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
After two turn ins his rep bar has only moved slightly...

Clearly the man is not easy to impress.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue

You have no clue what you are talking about. This is not a rare spawn we're trying to catch. This is a daily with daily equivalent rep. If the rep was say 10-20 times normal, then fine, having rare based drop rates is justified. But it's not. Prior to Tuesday the drop rates were reasonable. Now it's completely pointless and an utter waste of time and whomever made the change is an idiot.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
I caught 3 of these rare fish today. None took more than 75 casts.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Sorry to NECRO this almost 3-week old thread, but came to the boards looking for Nat Pagle's fish turn-in fail info.

It took me about an hour to catch all three fish yesterday (read: an hour total, for all 3). Keep in mind, it took so long because it was research day, going to correct spots for the first time etc...

Today, after 2 hours, and just catching ONE of the quest fish just a few minutes ago. I'm convinced these crappy quest drops are worthy of some Archaeology RNG's of the past...except instead of Days, it's Hours.

Just strange, Yesterday, caught them all in relatively short amount of time, and today, hours and caught one so far.

Can we get the RNG reduced a bit for these PLOX...and they're not 'rare', they're 'uncommon' quality 'green'.

Thanks.

- Krys
Edited by Krysdavar on 10/21/2012 10:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Thanks for bumping this.

Last week I was able to get all three in one day without spending hours and hours fishing. The past couple of days I have been trying to get these daily fishies and I have yet to catch a single one...in two days. Now, I enjoy fishing so I can sit there for an hour or two at a time casting away, but when I look in my bags and see hundreds of fish and NO quest fish it is slightly discouraging.
Edited by Scarletsky on 10/21/2012 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
trying to do this every day. There are days where everything was caught in around 20 casts, then there are days where I simply gave up after 3+ hours. There really needs to be some sort of balance for this...

Upside is I have enough cooking tokens to get everything I want AND raid food.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Just hit exalted today. Best part about the grind is the sheer amount of fish caught for cooking tokens.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I have caught more than 3000 fish since MoP went live. I have caught one of these rares on first cast and in other cases fished for more than 2 hours before catching a single rare.

I have caught the Sea Turtle. I still haven't caught the Crawdad that Shall Not Be Named. In vanilla I got up in the middle of the night to fish for Stonescale Eels.

Johnossim is right. The number of cooking tokens from fishing is staggering. I do not worry about conserving them.

Nat and I are are only Buddies, but I already have the Fishing Raft from the Anglers.

It doesn't seem that Blizzard has changed the time sink involved in fishing up the big fishing prize, but they did change how it happens.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Umm does it strike anyone sus that the first 3 posters are hunters?
Reply Quote
I got best friends with him and it took about 7500 casts TOTAL (approximately 2500 for 27 of each fish). I suspect your problems are missed bobbers and low skills (you MUST have 700 fishing skill in most areas). Some days take longer than others, but over time, its about 100 casts everyday.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Is all Sha-touched water a really high skill required to get no junk? At 812 I still get fishbones.

I do agree that they should provide alternate means to get rep from Nat OR increase the rep per fish hand-in. 550 rep base per fish is pretty damned low. How did you get best friends with him already, though? Not counting rep gain modifiers, by my calculations it would take you about 26 days to get to exalted with Nat assuming you caught all 3 fish every single day (since AFAIK they count as dailies vs. repeatable quests).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]