This is unnacceptable!

90 Orc Warrior
Waiting 4 hours to log into wow is completely wrong! First lets do the math, lets shoot low and say 5 million subscribtions X 15 dollars a month. By my math that is roughly 75 million dollars a month incoming to blizzard! Now with those kind of resources it is hard for me to believe that blizzard did not see this delimna with que times before the release of this expansion! So this makes me really question what is really going on and it is really frustrating to me, GREED! Instead of maybe upgrading servers as to be able to withstand the higher traffic in the new patch blizzard decided to offer free realm transfers to a new server. What about those who have a guild on a server and don't want to move and then PAY to move back! What an underhanded, scheming way to extort more money from their paying customers! I, along with many others am not happy about this!

/endrant
Reply Quote
25 Night Elf Druid
10/02/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Galindroq
I, along with many others am not happy about this!

So take advantage of the free transfers being offered
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Paladin
Waiting 4 hours to log into wow is completely wrong! First lets do the math, lets shoot low and say 5 million subscribtions X 15 dollars a month. By my math that is roughly 75 million dollars a month incoming to blizzard! Now with those kind of resources it is hard for me to believe that blizzard did not see this delimna with que times before the release of this expansion! So this makes me really question what is really going on and it is really frustrating to me, GREED! Instead of maybe upgrading servers as to be able to withstand the higher traffic in the new patch blizzard decided to offer free realm transfers to a new server. What about those who have a guild on a server and don't want to move and then PAY to move back! What an underhanded, scheming way to extort more money from their paying customers! I, along with many others am not happy about this!

/endrant

You are quite welcome to transfer your guild as many of us have done in the past. If you don't want to move, you are welcome to stay on the realm and fight the queues. Blizzard can't increase the number of players on a realm at one time or paying customers with computers that just meet the minimum system requirements, or slow ISP's, won't be able to play. Do you know the screaming you'd see if they changed the minimum system requirements to a T1 connection, $1000 video card, and 16 GB ram?
Edited by Holyångel on 10/2/2012 7:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/02/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Galindroq
Waiting 4 hours to log into wow is completely wrong!

You chose to play on a busy, active realm. If you think it's wrong, then either transfer, or re-roll on a new realm.

First lets do the math, lets shoot low and say 5 million subscribtions X 15 dollars a month. By my math that is roughly 75 million dollars a month incoming to blizzard! Now with those kind of resources it is hard for me to believe that blizzard did not see this delimna with que times before the release of this expansion! So this makes me really question what is really going on and it is really frustrating to me, GREED!
(sic) subscriptions... and dilemma.

You are confusing income, with profit. Out of that $75 million, they have to pay for hundreds of servers, the electricity for running those (you know how much A/C is needed to keep servers cool?). They are paying people to develop new games and / or expansions, that won't even be released to make a dime for months or years. They are paying to run call centers for customer service, billing, and tech support. They are paying to have the grass mowed at corporate. Toilet paper for corporate. Paying for leases on high-end computers (probably numbered in the hundreds) for their artists and coders to create new content. Property taxes. The list could go on and on. The profit margin for many businesses, especially in the gaming industry, is much tighter than you think.

Instead of maybe upgrading servers as to be able to withstand the higher traffic in the new patch blizzard decided to offer free realm transfers to a new server.

This is a problem for a couple of weeks. What you are asking is the equivalent of demanding a restaurant add on a few thousand more seats, because for two weeks out of the year the state fair is across the street, and the place is standing room only for those two weeks. Why would they upgrade the server when the problem will go away in a few weeks, and there is PLENTY of additional space next door (at the next server).

What about those who have a guild on a server and don't want to move and then PAY to move back!

If you left the server, why would you think you would have to transfer back? Stay on your new realm and help build a new culture there. Transfer the guild over, and stay. Transferring BACK just means that when the next expansion happens, you'll be experiencing the same issue again.

What an underhanded, scheming way to extort more money from their paying customers! I, along with many others am not happy about this!

There is nothing underhanded about it. You are asking them to add additional server space, when they've already got an excess, just for your convenience. That does not make business sense in any sort of business model. Well, maybe a communist style business model, it might make sense. And I'm sure that there are many others who are happy with the free transfers. People who would prefer less competition for minerals, or quests. People who like a more laid back environment. I'll paraphrase P.T. Barnum here:

You can please ALL of the people SOME of the time.
You can please SOME of the people ALL of the time.
You can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

And remember, when everyone goes "We don't want to leave, we like it here", then that means that you like being on a busy, packed realm that, will on occasion experience queues. And it also means that you are contributing to the problem. Honestly, when you boil it down, with Cross-Realm almost everything now, and REALID / battletags, all you'll be missing out on with transferring off is either trade chat, or being able to stand around a capital city with your friends. Oh yeah, and the queues and increased competition for every item and mat in the game.

Your options are:
(1) If you insist on staying on the realm, you deal with the fact that it will occasionally be SO busy, there is a queue.
(2) You Transfer to a new realm, and help a new realm reach for glory.
(3) You re-roll on a new server, and either:
(a) Come back on occasion to your old characters to say hi, but learn to love your new characters.
(b) Play on the new characters for a while, then come back to your older toons.
(I know several people who have inactive accounts with high level characters that they haven't played in months or years.)

/endrant

/endresponse
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
10/03/2012 04:12 AMPosted by Galindroq
All of you who responded actually work for Blizzard

No. Players (and one ex-player) just like you.

There are many solutions to this problem

But here lays another concept - that we don't get to see the inner workings.

What might appear a clear solution to us, could well be a bad idea when the big picture is considered (all the stuff we don't get to see or hear about).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Perhaps we should consider putting a limit that is a little lower on each realm so that you cannot exceed maximum capacity?

Are you suggesting that they lower the minimum system requirements even more to allow more players to log in? Isn't that contradicting?

Or do you mean re-patching the entire game and reworking the entire graphics so that it's worse that what it already is (and let's face it, WoW does not have that great of graphics compared to most new games that have come out recently), just so more players can log in?

As a side note, Blizzard has already upgraded their servers to the best that is available to them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Lol, let me guess? All of you who responded actually work for Blizzard! Oh well it's just frustrating to see something like this happen. Perhaps we should consider putting a limit that is a little lower on each realm so that you cannot exceed maximum capacity? There are many solutions to this problem and if someone with my very limited brainpower can see this I would sure hope the rest of you could as well. :-D

Then servers would all be dead because of inactive accounts forcing it to the limit. The devs have said more people have quit playing WoW then currently play WoW. It seems a lot on your server decided they like Pandas. Servers have a capacity, all the money in the world can't change the current technology and science, they aren't going to not let old subs resub, that would be a terrible business move, so the only option left if free transfers, which they seem to be offering.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
10/03/2012 05:45 AMPosted by Anarane
Yea Blizzard customer support is anything but, they have all this money to implement MoP
Actually, if you knew how business works, a company always use a bank's loan to develop new products.

Once the product is being launch, they start to refund the loans.

Lets go back in history : For ten years, they developped WoW. 10 years of paying salaries, electricity, business's expenses, taxes, professional software's license, and so on. They didnt had a single income from it yet so they had to get a loan. Can you imagin how many billion of dollars were loaned then?

So they started to refund the loan once the game was launched in 2004. They could not just take a part of that actual income to pay for the next expansion (TBC), because of all they had to refund, so they took another loan for TBC.

Same for Wrath.

Same for Cata.

Same for MoP.

Same now for the next Xpac.

You'll notice how Blizzard is too <busy> to know how to give us any sort of phone number to call esp with a prob I'm having.
But they do have one.

So yea I know of their epic ineptitude!
But you have no idea how real business works...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
10/03/2012 07:10 AMPosted by Anarane
blah blah blah is all i hear coming from ur uneducated mouth

So correct answers is now blah blah blah? What exactly did you want here. I don't see a question that the CS Forum can help you with. There is no complaint forums. Blizzard has a phone number for Billing and Tech Support, if you need help with anything else then you need to open a ticket.

If you are trying to call Billing or Tech Support and the lines are full then you need to spam re-dial until you get in, it might take a few minutes but it will work. I'd advise losing the attitude, you aren't special and it isn't going to do anything but get you a vacation.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I was actually surprised that they offered transfers so soon. I didn't think they would offer them at all. People can either deal with the queues until everything calms down or they can migrate to a lower population realm. Blizzard has done all they can do from a technological side.

Queues are the side effect of being on a popular server. Should they have closed down transfers/new character creations awhile ago? Probably. However, it's hard to know who is and who isn't going to be around for new content and how long they will stay.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Say my server had 4+ hour queue lins to log in, but why should i transfer se4rvers? Ihve been in muradin since mid--BC, IVe made alot of guilds, have alot of friends, and i love my server, Why should i abandon them? Transfering servers is like up and moving from one city to another, leaving old friends behind, everythng you knew .

Then obviously your server is more important to you then the wait time in a queue for a few weeks. If you don't want to take advantage of the free migrations then you can't complain that you have to wait in a queue. This has happened every single expansion, it goes on for a few weeks then everyone forgets about it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Its understandable.. the not wanting to move.. its your server that you have been on for a long time.. That part we get.

the problem is.. there is no magical fix. People say that just let more on at a time. Cant happen, for server stability.
Limit the number of accounts on that server? Sure.. but with people going active/inactive all the time.. if you limited the amount.. then most of those go inactive, you now have a dead server.. or all the active are only on at one time and its dead others.

Actualy free transfers, rather than migrations.. sure, is an option.. but you know it will end up people moving from 'best server A to best server B' and not choosing a lower pop one.. and now the same problem happens on server B.

I think thats all that people are trying to say. Those are the options. Wait in line, free migration, reroll. They may not be the choices people LIKE.. but they are what the choices are.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Perhaps we should consider putting a limit that is a little lower on each realm so that you cannot exceed maximum capacity?
Think about what you've just said here. If the limit is 10,000 concurrent players and the realm is full, lowering the limit to 7500 just means the realm is going to be full sooner, frustrating an additional 2500 players.

Ed.- Numbers are examples only; I have no clue what the actual cuncurrency limits are.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]