Huggywuggles v. MoP reputation solutions

90 Gnome Warrior
Ok. So let me clarify one thing: I do NOT have an issue with the MoP reputations as I'm prone to maxing out one toon and then the next and so on and so forth. However, that is only my personal style. People raid on mains AND alts and so forth and rep is crucial to this. And I can see, even if I don't really agree with, the problem.

That being said, Ghostcrawler has stated that they don't want the subsequent grinds to take as long which leads me to believe there is a solution in the works or at least being discussed. As such, I feel this is an opportune time to find an easy to implement "middle ground" as tabard grinding rep stinks. It's too fast, too easy and farmable (more so than dailies) and that's just weak, imo. However, starting out from NEUTRAL and going all the way over and over and over is reasonably tedious as well.

So here's an idea: PARTIAL account bound Mists of Pandaria reputations.

Here's how it would work:

Rep would be account bound BUT (of course there's always a BUT!), it's partial. So the way I envision this working is subsequent characters that start a faction rep automatically start at the beginning of a rep tier two tiers lower than your max reputation character.

For instance:

Let's say Huggywuggles has his Tillers rep all the way up to Exalted. This would mean any other character coming behind him would then automatically start at 0/12000 Honored. There would have to be some restrictions, like the individual reps like you have with the Tillers, but your TILLER rep would work like that.

This would allow a quicker grind for subsequent characters, give THEM some reputation benefits but still encourage them to grind out reputations for the BEST rewards.

So, in short, P.A.B.R. would be, in my humble opinion, the way to go.
Reply Quote
I like this idea or something similar
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I would much rather just have account-bound reputation. So any reputation you have on character A, you also have on character B. I also would still like to have tabard reputation back. Not everyone enjoys questing and that's ok.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Not a bad idea. Another one could be bring back the rep tabards, but make them account bound and only buyable at exalted rep. You max out the dailies on one char, buy the tabard and send it to another char, allowing easier rep gains on alts. Either would work imo.

Also, lose the helm! wear that stache with pride!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
10/03/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Elettra
I would much rather just have account-bound reputation. So any reputation you have on character A, you also have on character B. I also would still like to have tabard reputation back. Not everyone enjoys questing and that's ok.

The issue with account bound rep is this: It discourages character development. But having PARTIAL account bound rep as I've described would give those other characters a step up AND still encourage that individual development.

And the tabard option is just silly. You could conceivably grind out rep in a day (as we did in Cataclysm) and it was too fast and discouraged immersion.

We have to take into account that not everything can be handed to us on a silver platter. Plus in the case of the Tillers where your farm actually grows based on reputation, it would make NO sense for a brand new character to go into an already full farm without having to put SOME effort into it. But giving them four extra plots to grow in isn't a bad middle ground.
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
Not a bad idea. Another one could be bring back the rep tabards, but make them account bound and only buyable at exalted rep. You max out the dailies on one char, buy the tabard and send it to another char, allowing easier rep gains on alts. Either would work imo.

Also, lose the helm! wear that stache with pride!

I like everything in this post. The tabards would need to be a bit expensive though so they don't become meaning less.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I was thinking possibly something such as the current Valor buff we get when we max out our Valor on one toon for the week. When you complete maybe xx amount of dailies per day, or all the dailies for a particular faction, you would get a realm-wide buff for those particular factions, or faction-wide buff that increases your reputation gain by maybe 20-30%.

I think this would feel a lot more interesting because it would be something you'd be doing actively, rather than later on, starting on a new character, you just automatically get reputation.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I was thinking possibly something such as the current Valor buff we get when we max out our Valor on one toon for the week. When you complete maybe xx amount of dailies per day, or all the dailies for a particular faction, you would get a realm-wide buff for those particular factions, or faction-wide buff that increases your reputation gain by maybe 20-30%.

I think this would feel a lot more interesting because it would be something you'd be doing actively, rather than later on, starting on a new character, you just automatically get reputation.

That's not a bad idea either. Personally I still like mine better though :P. But I am glad to see people are thinking solutions rather than just complaining. We tend to get a lot more done that way than not.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The idea that painful grinds are acceptable should take a back seat. If Blizzard wants to compete in the future they need to evolve. I seriously think they need new and fresher quest designers with bigger and better ideas. Some of the dailies are alright but most are terrible and boring, the same stuff we've been seeing since Vanilla. If a game does not grow and keep up what do you think is going to happen to it?

Right now as it stands logging into WoW feels like a chore. Why do I do it? I dont know, I'm starting to really look at it and ask myself if it's worth it. Why play something you dont enjoy? I like to raid with my friends and now if I dont log on and grind every day I feel like Im being punished and holding my team back.

If Blizzard wants to do reputation they need to make it so it doesn't take too long to do it. I liked the lorewalkers rep. It's something you can sit down and do in a few hours (or whatever) and feel pretty good and accomplished when it was done. Grinding the same boring stale quests for hours every day for weeks or months is not a good design. By the time Im finished with every rep I need to grind the gear will probably be obsolete which really annoys me.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Mh... I dunno. Why force alts to do content they've already done and grind? Its kind of cruel punishment for no real good reason. With the cata shoulder enchants people have already shown they won't grind rep twice.

Starting at honoured already grants VP gear with SOME factions, and I believe you can buy JP gear now without faction rep which is reasonable... There's really no point in gating it and then starting you at honoured.

And those exalted rewards are... mounts which are account bound.

Essentially, its pointless because the only thing alts will be missing are 4-5 pieces of VP gear. Meh.

For the record, I do not agree with the faction tabard either. I don't think that rep grinds should be so long... If people like to do dailies (I do!) then we'll keep doing them, those that don't can move on. Perhaps daily quests could reward more rep...

500 rep to revered, 250 after that. Keep the VP gear at revered, keep it so everyone can purchase JP gear.
Edited by Dalkin on 10/3/2012 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Mh... I dunno. Why force alts to do content they've already done?

Starting at honoured already grants VP gear with SOME factions, and I believe you can buy JP gear now without faction rep which is reasonable... There's really no point in gating it and then starting you at honoured.

And those exalted rewards are... mounts which are account bound.

Essentially, its pointless because the only thing alts will be missing are 4-5 pieces of VP gear. Meh.

Let's consider your second sentence. Using THAT argument, we may as well just have ONE main and any other character that we choose to create should automatically be lvl 90 and have the best of gear. That's ridiculous.

Each character PLAYS different. Each character has their own style. And Blizzard NEEDS to preserve some of that..individualism rather than just 'granting' all the stuff for the simple reason we've already done it once.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
And the tabard option is just silly. You could conceivably grind out rep in a day (as we did in Cataclysm) and it was too fast and discouraged immersion.

What's silly is people like you who can't understand people like me DESPISE questing. It's not fun for me (or many other players), it's not enjoyable in the slightest, it's a burden and a chore we're forced to do in order to reach max level and play with our friends. I would not mind in the least if the tabard rep was limited per day to keep the rep gains on par with dailies and if something like that was implemented I can't see why anyone would have an issue with it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Using THAT argument, we may as well just have ONE main and any other character that we choose to create should automatically be lvl 90 and have the best of gear. That's ridiculous.

It wasn't really an argument. It was a summary your proposal: to start at honoured after you've gone to honoured or above on a main, correct? You actually just stated for me exactly why your idea won't work and the point I was trying to make.

I mean, after the hot fixes applied on october 2nd, on your system an alt could buy VP neck, rings, cloaks and bracer right out the gate because those items only require you to be honoured now.

MY proposal was to up the amount of rep earned from dailies significantly to revered and then drop the gain back down for the exalted grind since that's for a vanity item. The honoured VP items could stay where they're at so that it feels like your halfway done and rewarded for the first half of the grind too. Anyway, Its simpler, makes gearing alts less painless and keeps the grind for those of us who wish to earn our mounts (which are account bound) on our mains who are already presumably ahead... Oh, and lessens the grind for those who want the gear.

Everyone wins.
Edited by Dalkin on 10/3/2012 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
The issue with account bound rep is this: It discourages character development.

I disagree.

The only realms that this would matter on are the RP ones for obvious reasons. PVE and PVP realms are more player and therefore account focused, which is why the account bound system is so popular in the first place.

I will bluntly admit though, this will be the only character I will play in this game until FULL Account wide systems are put in place. So I am in that camp....

MoP was a move in the right direction, a full account bound rep and secondary skill crossover would complete the system. (That and PVP mounts and titles *different conversation*).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
10/03/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Glítch

What's silly is people like you who can't understand people like me DESPISE questing. It's not fun for me (or many other players), it's not enjoyable in the slightest, it's a burden and a chore we're forced to do in order to reach max level and play with our friends. I would not mind in the least if the tabard rep was limited per day to keep the rep gains on par with dailies and if something like that was implemented I can't see why anyone would have an issue with it.

Well, I'm sorry you DESPISE questing. But honestly, the game most likely isn't for you. You want to sequester yourself into this particular little ...part of the game and get the best of the best and that's not how MMO's work. Too bad.

10/03/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Dalkin
It wasn't really an argument. It was a summary your proposal: to start at honoured after you've gone to honoured or above on a main, correct? You actually just stated for me exactly why your idea won't work and the point I was trying to make.

And that's precisely why I specified the PARTIAL part of it. To encourage some character development without taking away the entire experience. The concept is about 'middle ground', not a 'tough luck' type of thing if you're going to do it repeatedly, and not a 'here you go, take it all' sort of solution either for those like Glitch who don't like to partake of the larger portion of the game.

This gives us a 'put in some effort and time and we'll help you out' type solution that is more than equitable for everyone.
Edited by Huggywuggles on 10/3/2012 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Well, I'm sorry you DESPISE questing. But honestly, the game most likely isn't for you. You want to sequester yourself into this particular little ...part of the game and get the best of the best and that's not how MMO's work. Too bad.

I despise questing too. I like to raid.
Does that mean the game isnt for me either?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
10/03/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Vail

If you're not willing to put forth SOME effort to enjoy what you enjoy, than most likely yes.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
10/03/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Xamont
So why play an MMO?

To do dungeons. To run BGs. To raid with my friends.

To me the game doesn't really begin until max level where questing is a VERY minor part of the game.

I'm not advocating the removal of quests so not sure why you would have an issue with what I suggested? Giving us tabards to grind rep with in dungeons would have no affect on your enjoyment of questing or dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
10/03/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Huggywuggles

If you're not willing to put forth SOME effort to enjoy what you enjoy, than most likely yes.

You do see I am level 90, right? Just because I dont enjoy collecting 20 pieces of poo or kill 20 beavers doesn't make me any less entitled to enjoy the game than you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]