Huggywuggles v. MoP reputation solutions

I think most people posting in this thread about how rep is 'fine' and doesn't need any help, fail to understand the logistics of playing a character and trying to earn a reward. Virtually none of the blue/epic rewards are WORTH spending the time it takes to earn them even on ONE character. By the time you've made it through the rep, you've already acquired something equal or better by running heroics or raiding.

This fact means that the majority of the rep rewards are simply unsuitable to be called rewards. The few things that aren't a gear reward, like mounts, tabards, and even cool vanity toys, ARE worth grinding the rep for, just to say you did it. However, who's going to grind those reps more than once to get those items?

Then there are the profession recipes. Stuff like weapon and bracer enchants, epic crafting patterns, and even JC mounts. The kinds of rewards that you offer from reputation should be things that you can't get anywhere else, and are timeless in their effectiveness as a reward. If I want enchanting recipes, I go to an enchanting trainer. If I want tailoring recipes, I go to a tailoring trainer. If I want JC recipes, I go to a JC trainer.

This is why gear/recipe are bad for rep rewards. No one is going to grind for that gear when the next tier of content comes out. No one is going to grind for those recipes next expansion. On top of all that, the rep grind is ridiculously long and counter intuitive for preparing for any kind of end game progression.

If the argument for rep being this way is that it's meant to be 'casual,' then we've got a problem. There's nothing casual about logging in every day for weeks and spending a couple hours per character per day doing quests specifically for rep to gain rewards which aren't even very good.

While the quests themselves aren't very difficult and the rep comes fairly easily, it's far too time consuming to be called 'casual.' Especially when you consider alts and their progression too.

It's obvious that reps aren't working as they should, regardless of what was originally intended. It's blatantly obvious that reps should work across your entire account, and not just be character specific. The only think left to discuss is whether or not Blizzard will do what makes sense and fix this. If they decide not to, it's just one more game system that suffers because of their inability to use common sense.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
yeah honestly was kinda disappointed to find out that the old way of gaining valor has changed a little, and now you can only get so much within a week and that's if you do all the dailies available.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
We're working on a change for a future patch that will make it easier to gain reputation with a specific faction on every alt on your Battle.net account, after you reach a certain reputation with that faction on another character.

Stay tuned for more information on this, likely coming before the end of the week.

Please bring tabards back. There are a lot of people who hate dailies.

If people want to grind daily quests for hours and hours on end, great- let them. I'd rather do dungeons.

Both playstyles can be accommodated. I'm not understanding why everything has to be gated behind daily quests, other than to artificially stretch out content duration.

Well, there you have it. That's most likely the sole reason. After all, the complaints of 'there's not enough to do' did get kind of...annoying after a while. And I think Tabards available at honored and giving rep equal to the amount people earn through dailies isn't a bad idea.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Not a bad idea. Another one could be bring back the rep tabards, but make them account bound and only buyable at exalted rep. You max out the dailies on one char, buy the tabard and send it to another char, allowing easier rep gains on alts. Either would work imo.

I actually really like this idea.
As an altoholic, as things currently stand, I'm pretty unhappy with the prospect of doing all these dailies on more than one character - to the point where I probably won't, even though it'll impact the way I prefer to play.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Kensen
still all this !@#$ still boils down to people wanting gear/rep whatever just handed to them whatever happened to actually working for stuff? lol you should like a good challenge

No, people want reputation grinds to mean something. What does it mean to spend a butt load of time each day doing quests over a period of weeks, just to get some blue/purple items which aren't even going to be good in a month? What does it mean to do that on multiple characters?

How does it feel to do all that for one character, only to log onto another character and realize you have to do it all over again? Except this time, the rewards are less relevant.

Dailies are a good system man they are implemented in a way so everyone has to do them and will for what ever reason its kinda puts a hold on people just blowing and progressing through content too fast but that still happens though. but really you take away dailes then what grind dungeons for rep? hell no man dailes are part of this game and making the rep transferable to alts just breaks the whole meaning of the rep grind

Dailies are there as a source of income to players and something to do between raids. No one is saying anything about removing dailies. The problem here is that we are talking about two completely different things: optional dailies, and mandatory reputation grinds. As soon as you tack progression-based rewards onto an optional mode of game play, you are making it mandatory, which is counter intuitive to having optional game play in the first place.

Look at pet battles and achievements. Both are completely optional and provide rewards that have zero impact on progression in this game. If you had to obtain certain achievements or participate in pet battles in order to progress your character through content, that would feel like garbage and prevent many people from enjoying those aspects of the game. So why is it okay to take daily quests, another completely optional game mode, and then tie down progression directly to them?
Edited by Baeloro on 10/4/2012 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
We're working on a change for a future patch that will make it easier to gain reputation with a specific faction on every alt on your Battle.net account, after you reach a certain reputation with that faction on another character.

Stay tuned for more information on this, likely coming before the end of the week.

More information (which is given in the new blue thread) or the change itself?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
"Earning reputation with various factions has long been an important part to World of Warcraft and as time has gone on, we've made tweaks and changes to the system to make it more interesting and to give players access to unique items. For example, we recently hotfixed the game to apply a change to some reputation items which you can read about in our recently updated blog that allows players to purchase certain items much sooner. And we're not done!

Coming in a future patch, earning reputation is going to become much more fluid. Basically, once one of your characters has reached at least Revered reputation with a faction, all other characters on the same Battle.net account will then earn reputation with the same faction at twice the rate. Going one step further, and as an added bonus, your main character who reached Revered will also begin to earn double the reputation as he or she climbs to Exalted.

Here's a simplified break down:

Any single character earns Revered reputation with a faction
All other characters on the Battle.net account begin to earn double reputation for that one same faction
The Revered character earns double reputation as he or she works toward Exalted
???
Profit

We'll keep you posted as this change is closer to being implemented. In the meantime, we'd love to hear your feedback!"

Great idea but it's annoying for anyone who's been working on exalted prior to you getting this patch in. Hopefully you get it in before I get to revered with anything.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Let's consider your second sentence. Using THAT argument, we may as well just have ONE main and any other character that we choose to create should automatically be lvl 90 and have the best of gear. That's ridiculous.

Each character PLAYS different. Each character has their own style. And Blizzard NEEDS to preserve some of that..individualism rather than just 'granting' all the stuff for the simple reason we've already done it once.

No one is talking about "ONE main and any other character that we choose to create should automatically be lvl 90 and have the best of gear", so that "logic leap" sounds a little ridiculous.

Yes, each character class plays differently but you control each character. Assuming you're following the rules and not sharing accounts or buying scam power leveling services it's not each character doing "stuff" it's you doing "stuff."

I agree with Huggy and it's a reasonable idea.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Virtually none of the blue/epic rewards are WORTH spending the time it takes to earn them even on ONE character. By the time you've made it through the rep, you've already acquired something equal or better by running heroics or raiding.

That's just not true.

I got my first epic rep reward (the necklace from the Klaxxi), with them at honored.

It is better than anything from heroics - and I haven't decided if I plan to get back into raiding.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]