Feng

100 Human Rogue
I'm thinking assas for this fight, especially since I picked up the dagger last night (thank you lucky charms!). Thoughts?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
It's difficult to say. I tried him in 25 man with both combat and sub and both times I just could NOT consistently keep a spot in the top 10 damage done on our meters. Two other rogues tried and had similar results.
Care to explain why you think Mut would fair better? We were able to interrupt his Epicenter at least 2/3rd of the time, so we really weren't out from damage all that much. Not to mention our Rets were doing just fine with their numbers.
The only real trump Mut has over the other 2 speccs for this fight is the fact that it has an execute and you generally want to get through phase 3 before the !@#$ hits the fan from an untimely combination of Arcane Velocity and Arcane Resonance.

Still though, even with that it would probably boost the raids success marginally, but in my eyes it would not really help us see much of a higher ranking in the meters as a whole. (although still possible to get a bit of a lead after the execution is finished, I find it unlikely to jump more then a couple spots from 10-14th place)

Would LOVE to see some people put some insight into this thread.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I did feng as assassination and I can tell you that the lack of energy regen hurts your damage output by quite a significant margin. More times than often I found myself energy starved and unable to "flow" through my rotation which hindered my dps. However, after 35% it got alot better i was able to pick back up my damage after execution phase hit. A friend of mine did this fight as combat told me that it was very manageable to do and for that matter, doing the rest of the instance as combat since assassination's energy regen is just too low in order to put out competitive dps. That being said, I would go combat and just use your new dagger in the OH slot.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Rogue
Well that was always essentially Mut's problem. It's energy was always the slowest compared to the other speccs. It's tough to say. I got completely spanked by a Mut back in the beta during LFR, but of course we all know how those numbers can't always be very reliable. I'm trying to find some of the top damaging rogues for the fight in WoL, but for the life of me I can't find any.

@Insomniia do you recall where you stood in your meters by the end of the fight post execute? Did it help you become competitive with the top 10?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
Rogues are one of the most gear dependant classes, so it is fairly normal that mutilate is quite lacking, once the gear/stats increase, mutilate will definitely start to pick back up. However, for the time being, my opinion would be that combat is the way to go. Yes, I came second on the fight with a DK beating me. (op army of the dead)

EDIT: This was 10 man.
Edited by Insomniia on 10/3/2012 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
I did Feng as assassination for several reasons;
1) It's a single target fight. Assassination, anecdotally, seems to be ahead in that field at the moment. You can argue rivalry with sub, however.
2) Legendary proc-rate. The proc-rate *WAS* nerfed at 90, but as assassination it still stacks quickly enough to outdo sub-463 weapons. The proc is also fantastic for evening out your rotation with how energy regen currently is.*

"The lack of energy hurts your damage" is going to be true for every fight, really, so I don't see any point in bringing that up. It's true for every fight and, to a degree, every spec, and it will remain so until our gear levels improve. That's to be expected. It's very disingenuous to fault assassinations current regen the way it has been in this thread, though; the energy regen is not so crippling as to make the spec unplayable unless you aren't properly handling your pooling in the first place. As usual, pooling is much more important for the first tier.

*As a sidenote to point #2; FoK still appears to proc the daggers at a very fast pace, meaning the legendaries may easily remain viable in larger packs for a while. The most absurd example is a fight like Sha of Anger, where fok spam can force FotFF procs every 10-15 seconds, which totally negates the loss of damage you're otherwise experiencing with level 85 weapons.
Edited by Leitka on 10/3/2012 3:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I did Feng as assassination for several reasons;
1) It's a single target fight. Assassination, anecdotally, seems to be ahead in that field at the moment. You can argue rivalry with sub, however.

"The lack of energy hurts your damage" is going to be true for every fight, really, so I don't see any point in bringing that up. It's true for every fight and, to a degree, every spec, and it will remain so until our gear levels improve. That's to be expected. It's very disingenuous to fault assassinations current regen the way it has been in this thread, though; the energy regen is not so crippling as to make the spec unplayable unless you aren't properly handling your pooling in the first place. As usual, pooling is much more important for the first tier.

Valid point and I agree with you. However, I would argue that even though the lack of energy hurts damage on every fight, I would say that it hurts assassination more than combat to the point where combat at least is on equal footing to assassination and might be in fact stronger than assassination at this current gear level.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
10/03/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Insomniia
I would say that it hurts assassination more

This may seem to make sense, but the numbers I've been seeing so far on single target comparisons of assassination vs. combat just don't seem to be leading me to this conclusion.

I would preface with a disclaimer that my personal sample sizes and those on WOL and otherwise and still pretty damn small. That being said running with equal ilvl weapons for both specs assassination does appear to be giving slightly higher single target damage than combat, both from what I've experience with swapping back and forth on world bosses / raids and the limited number of logs which I've been able to peruse.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Did a bit of testing last night. I went assas and had the rogue who usually mirrors my damage (during DS farm the difference between us was often RNG) stay combat. The conclusion I drew was that single target Assas is ahead but not by leaps and bounds. I did consistently beat her by a noticeable margin, however I do have a few more pieces of gear than she does (lucky charms have been kind to me). At this point my advice would probably be baring mechanics that shift a fight 1 way or another let your weapons pick your spec.

10/03/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Aristrong
It's difficult to say. I tried him in 25 man with both combat and sub and both times I just could NOT consistently keep a spot in the top 10 damage done on our meters. Two other rogues tried and had similar results.

I don't know why this would be. I have not had any issues being top 3 (25 man) on any fight in either spec. Still not sure what I'll go for spirit kings but at this moment I will say I am likely going to be staying assas on fights that aren't cleaves.
Edited by Ninjablaze on 10/4/2012 6:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]